ZionEagle

Rebranding the NFL 2.0: Detroit Lions

About a year back, I created a rather terrible NFL logo rebranding endeavor to kick off my joining of this board.

I don't know if anyone would remember the original topic, but if you really want to see it here is the topic link (WARNING: It is beyond cringe worthy; view at your own risk): 

Needless to say, I've learned some things along the way, and would like to give this another try. I'm going to attempt a full NFL logo rebrand, even if some logos seem untouchable and classic, I will touch them regardless :P But I'd like feedback and your opinions along the way, so don't be shy to offer your opinions. I won't have a set order or schedule, considering school is coming up I probably won't post as often as I'd like to. I'm considering doing wordmarks and alternate logos for teams later, but as of now I will only be focusing on primary marks.

Lets get started with a rather controversial team: The Washington Redskins.

Now I had a logo I made a year ago but never revealed, so I'll unveil it now.

GNbUkki.png

Gross right :P ?

Anywho, this is the new and improved attempt at modernizing the Redskins' identity.

fcP9j2z.png

I tried to keep it classic while updating the look. I figure so many other designers had drastically overhauled and changed the logo I needed to do something different.

The next team in line had a famous scandal that rhymed with a certain infamous Nixon scandal. See if you can guess it ;)

This is fantastic. If I had to nitpick, the little rectangle connecting the feathers to the roundel looks off. I don't know how you'd fix it or if you even want to, but this really is just awesome! Nice work.

Every time I see your work, I'm blown away by how far you've come. I thought your first series had some pretty good work, but you just keep getting better

Two changes I'd suggest to your Washington concept

1. I think all the highlights should be the same color. Either make the face highlights white or the hair's yellow

2. The head seems like it leaves too much white space in the circle. Upping the size slightly would take this logo to the next level.

Wow thanks guys! I didn't think I'd be getting so much awesome feedback on this one.

9 hours ago, JJ Anderes said:

Wow. All I can say is wow.

Are you making uniforms as well?

Thank you sir! I'm definitely considering it, although I'm not sure what I'd have to offer would be anything spectacular :P

7 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

This is fantastic. If I had to nitpick, the little rectangle connecting the feathers to the roundel looks off. I don't know how you'd fix it or if you even want to, but this really is just awesome! Nice work.

Go ahead and nitpick. I personally knew that stupid thing was off, but I can't figure out how to seamlessly connect it without a double outline on everything. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, jmoe12 said:

Every time I see your work, I'm blown away by how far you've come. I thought your first series had some pretty good work, but you just keep getting better

Two changes I'd suggest to your Washington concept

1. I think all the highlights should be the same color. Either make the face highlights white or the hair's yellow

2. The head seems like it leaves too much white space in the circle. Upping the size slightly would take this logo to the next level.

It means a lot to hear people say that. I'd have to say I was a bit cocky and made some mistakes in the first topic, but it was fine for a start. Once I started taking critique seriously it got much better.

1. Gotcha. I kept the hair highlights white because the old were like that, but I wanted more yellow. I think I'll make the face highlights white if I change it.

2. Yeah I see that as an issue. I'll definitely make it slightly bigger.

Anyone guess the next team yet? Or do you need another hint?

That update is amazing! Excited for the rest of this series.

How about adding a bit of warpaint on the cheek? But it looks good and can't wait for more to come! The only logo I hoped that you will do better is Jaguars.

5 hours ago, NoE38 said:

That update is amazing! Excited for the rest of this series.

Thank you! Glad you're looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, JMtexan09 said:

How about adding a bit of warpaint on the cheek? But it looks good and can't wait for more to come! The only logo I hoped that you will do better is Jaguars.

That's an interesting idea, I'll definitely explore that when I fix the logo. Ha yeah, that's my brother's favorite team, so he'll kill me if I don't get it right :P

Next up, New England.

This is the old version that I had done.

12YRmP8.jpg

It was perhaps my favorite of all of them, but it needed some work.

I tried to keep a similar 3/4ths side view in the update.

3R0g3Yr.png

I think the facial highlights need to be on the other side, but I had a little difficulty with them. Let me know what you think!

Nice work on the Redskins logo! I agreed with all of the suggestions, particularly the size of him inside the roundel.

Your take on the Patriot took me by surprise but not in a bad way. It grew on me quickly. I think you should carry over the inset red striping from your previous hat though. It's the only part that's a little bland. I do think it comes across a bit too much like a floppy cowboy hat, so I think better striping/added contour can help eliminate that look. Just a couple thoughts. Keep up the fine work.

Wow great job on both logos. The Redskins is absolute perfection. The Patriots one is amazing however I do agree with Steelman that the hat does look a little bland and maybe adding the red stripe on the top of the hate might give it a better 3D feel that the face has. Other than that great work once again.

It's cool that you show the progression of your logos, and the improvement is clear, really nice work on both of these.

Love the Pats concept.  It's time to evolve beyond Flying Elvis and that looks great.

On 8/30/2016 at 4:35 PM, Steelman said:

Nice work on the Redskins logo! I agreed with all of the suggestions, particularly the size of him inside the roundel.

Your take on the Patriot took me by surprise but not in a bad way. It grew on me quickly. I think you should carry over the inset red striping from your previous hat though. It's the only part that's a little bland. I do think it comes across a bit too much like a floppy cowboy hat, so I think better striping/added contour can help eliminate that look. Just a couple thoughts. Keep up the fine work.

Thank you sir! Yeah, I agree with the critique suggested, I'm planning to redo those two logos soon. I agree that the hat looks a bit cowboyish, but I had based it off of a colonial illustration. I think the red outline will help.

12 hours ago, SNBSlugger said:

Love the Pats concept.  It's time to evolve beyond Flying Elvis and that looks great.

Agreed. Flying Elvis needs to go :P 

15 hours ago, henburg said:

It's cool that you show the progression of your logos, and the improvement is clear, really nice work on both of these.

Thank you! That means a lot that someone can see progress.

15 hours ago, natolian10 said:

Wow great job on both logos. The Redskins is absolute perfection. The Patriots one is amazing however I do agree with Steelman that the hat does look a little bland and maybe adding the red stripe on the top of the hate might give it a better 3D feel that the face has. Other than that great work once again.

Thank you! And again, I plan to add that soon.

So what team you guys want to see next?

On 8/30/2016 at 1:46 PM, ZionEagle said:

Thank you! Glad you're looking forward to it.

That's an interesting idea, I'll definitely explore that when I fix the logo. Ha yeah, that's my brother's favorite team, so he'll kill me if I don't get it right :P

Next up, New England.

This is the old version that I had done.

12YRmP8.jpg

It was perhaps my favorite of all of them, but it needed some work.

I tried to keep a similar 3/4ths side view in the update.

3R0g3Yr.png

I think the facial highlights need to be on the other side, but I had a little difficulty with them. Let me know what you think!

is that supposed to be an N on the collar if so it would be cool to continue it with an E

43 minutes ago, llfhockey said:

is that supposed to be an N on the collar if so it would be cool to continue it with an E

Yes it is. I made it kind of look like an epaulet (or however you spell that.) The E is there, it's supposed to look like buttons.

I feel like both logos so far a a great leap forward. However, the old patriot hat was a real strong point of the old look and the new one is a bit confusing with no highlights or low lights to see where its "3D" shape is. It would be possible to stay with the new shape but it could use a bit of work. I would go with the old hat on the new look myself. The red on the hat would balance out the red on the bottom of the logo. Great work!

Alright everyone, I'm working on updating the logos, but in the meantime, have a look at the Detroit Lions.

tO6XB4N.png

As a Lion's fan, I don't think the current logo is bad, I just needed to do the Lions for the sake of the series.

I had originally attempted a full bodied lion (Which didn't turn out so hot), but I decided to go a different direction this time. However I did use a half-bodied lion for a little treat.

Now I'm going to do something I've never done before....jerseys.

oFAWP6j.png

The home and away might need a little explanation perhaps.

I decided to keep a relatively conservative look for these jerseys, looking at different eras for inspiration. I tried to pay homage to the full bodied lion with a half lion on the helmet. I kept the current numbers, because honestly, I really like them. As for the blue pants on the away, I was considering doing silver, but thought the blue would be more unique. Well, okay, it was really my father's idea :P And the socks...well...I personally hate coming up with sock designs and just repeated the shoulder stripes on them. Therefore if anyone has a better suggestion for them fire away.

The throwback has undergone major changes. I based it off of the 1960 era jerseys, due to the fact I those were much more interesting in comparison to our current bland throwbacks (I am aware this may be an unpopular opinion.) I personally think it translated very well to modern jerseys. For the helmet, I was kind of torn on what to do. I opted to make it different from the other helmets (I know, I know, the NFL has the damn one helmet rule but I'm doing this anyway). I was thinking of using a throwback logo, but it didn't look all that great, so I used a "D". However, I'm not extraordinarily satisfied with it, so again, if you guys have a better thought otherwise let me know.

Criticism is welcome!

The logo looks amazing, @ZionEagle. I feel the only thing that looks odd is that the Lion's teeth aren't connected to the mouth. In fact, that whole semi-outline around the face isn't needed and looks jarring. Also, that alternate uniform made me think of the Cowboys. The dark navy, the "D" as a helmet logo, the pants.... it's very Cowboys.