Rigging the vote

smzimbabwe

Has there ever been an example of a team holding a name the team contest then choosing something different other than the winner? I ask because I was reminded today that when I was in 5th grade, my elementary school had a name-the-team contest to choose our mascot. Huskies was the clear winner, but the principal stepped in and said Huskies was too violent and he was going with the second place winner, Hornets.

The theory around school was he was a WSU graduate and couldn't stand the name Huskies. Never confirmed, but was the prevailing idea around campus when he said Huskies was too violent for elementary school, but Hornets was OK. Happy Valley elementary in Bellingham, WA in 1979 by the way...

Aren't "name the team contests" just publicity stunts?  That has been my assumption.

The only exception that I can think of is the contest to name Seattle's MLS team, in which the name "Sounders" wasn't even on the ballot, but won as a write-in.  There the team actually acknowledged the preference of the fanbase.

But in nearly all other cases, I would guess that those contests are just smokescreens designed to lend an illusion of popular mandate to whatever name was going to be used anyway.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

"San Jose Blades" won the "name the team" vote San Jose's NHL team held when they were awarded a franchise. 

The owner vetoed it and went with "Sharks" instead.

I remember that. I would of love the teal, silver, black, and white color scheme more if their identity was the San Jose Blades. Nice! I would of loved the moniker for that. ^_^ But the owner had to be a PC bitch!

@Everyone

Talk about rigged voting, what about the BCS? Rigged alright! There were many teams that can jump into the National Championship in NCAA Football, but look at how the voting goes. We got to vote and most majority will vote for whoever they want to see again, but are bribed by season tickets by that said team (there are 25 ranks, so) and then the rest of the college teams that are up there are unknowingly being suckered as well and they end up having to play in a plain ol' bowl game.

I do not like the BCS voting because of this. What if Michigan was rank 1 and Alabama was rank 2 and then we got rank 3 being USC and they suckered Michigan for that spot? Then the votes wouldn't mean jack and then USC ends up playing Alabama in the National Champion while Michigan plays, let's say, rank 4 Oregon in the Rose Bowl. :(

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

I remember that. I would of love the teal, silver, black, and white color scheme more if their identity was the San Jose Blades. Nice! I would of loved the moniker for that. ^_^But the owner had to be a PC bitch!

@Everyone

Talk about rigged voting, what about the BCS? Rigged alright! There were many teams that can jump into the National Championship in NCAA Football, but look at how the voting goes. We got to vote and most majority will vote for whoever they want to see again, but are bribed by season tickets by that said team (there are 25 ranks, so) and then the rest of the college teams that are up there are unknowingly being suckered as well and they end up having to play in a plain ol' bowl game.

I do not like the BCS voting because of this. What if Michigan was rank 1 and Alabama was rank 2 and then we got rank 3 being USC and they suckered Michigan for that spot? Then the votes wouldn't mean jack and then USC ends up playing Alabama in the National Champion while Michigan plays, let's say, rank 4 Oregon in the Rose Bowl. :(

PC or not (which I don't think was really on the Gunds' minds at the time), Sharks is a hell of a lot less corny than Blades, and it's nice having a team named after an aquatic animal and not hockey equipment.

Refer to what the previous poster said about the media being more to blame than bribery or whatever tinfoil hat nonsense you choose to believe. If you want people to take your posts more seriously, refrain from ranting and raving as much with ALL CAPS, smileys, and general obtuseness. Thank you.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm still bitter about that. I think if one of the obvious troll names was picked it would have been used

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Hell, a whale was officially named "Mr. Splashy Pants". 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/2/2016 at 10:11 AM, SFGiants58 said:

PC or not (which I don't think was really on the Gunds' minds at the time), Sharks is a hell of a lot less corny than Blades, and it's nice having a team named after an aquatic animal and not hockey equipment.

Refer to what the previous poster said about the media being more to blame than bribery or whatever tinfoil hat nonsense you choose to believe. If you want people to take your posts more seriously, refrain from ranting and raving as much with ALL CAPS, smileys, and general obtuseness. Thank you.

What was wrong with naming a team after a sharp object, part of a hockey equipment, etc? It sounds much more classy than naming the team after a stupid animal that I can shoot a harpoon at and kill instantly with great accuracy?

I mean, San Jose Blades have a good ring to it!

On 9/2/2016 at 0:01 AM, smzimbabwe said:

Has there ever been an example of a team holding a name the team contest then choosing something different other than the winner? I ask because I was reminded today that when I was in 5th grade, my elementary school had a name-the-team contest to choose our mascot. Huskies was the clear winner, but the principal stepped in and said Huskies was too violent and he was going with the second place winner, Hornets.

The theory around school was he was a WSU graduate and couldn't stand the name Huskies. Never confirmed, but was the prevailing idea around campus when he said Huskies was too violent for elementary school, but Hornets was OK. Happy Valley elementary in Bellingham, WA in 1979 by the way...

Pretty sure hornets are waaaaaaay more violent-natured than huskies.

A name the team "contest" is not the same as a "vote."  In a contest, they are looking for submissions and they can pick the one they like the most.  Unless there were posted rules that the name with the most votes (or submissions) would win, then they didn't rig anything.

8 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

A name the team "contest" is not the same as a "vote."  In a contest, they are looking for submissions and they can pick the one they like the most.  Unless there were posted rules that the name with the most votes (or submissions) would win, then they didn't rig anything.

Even if so, it likely wouldn't be legally binding.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived