2016 College Football Coaching Changes Thread ...

dfwabel

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cujo said:

So Chip Kelly headed back to Eugene? Ok.

I doubt it.

It seems that they're going to start over. A few of their assistant coaches were on staff since Rich Brooks and the program was very insular. If you didn't leave on your own accord, guys were there for life.

So in possible head coaching news....

There's been growing speculation that Lane Kiffin won't be returning to Alabama next season.  For one, his three-year contract ends after the season, and he may get some feelers for either head coaching or being the OC at LSU.  Secondly, Nick Saban seems interested in going in another direction at OC...specifically, Steve Sarkesian.  You know, the guy that showed up drunk to work at USC.

How do college "contracts" work? How can a coach leave for another college job at any time?

I get  that an assistant would work into his contract that he's allowed to take a HC job, or a HC would write in that he could go to NFL, but just switching schools seems to render a contract moot. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also - I would love it if Chip Kelly came back to Philadelphia to coach Temple. We'd have years of fun picking on him again. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How do college "contracts" work? How can a coach leave for another college job at any time?

I get  that an assistant would work into his contract that he's allowed to take a HC job, or a HC would write in that he could go to NFL, but just switching schools seems to render a contract moot. 

A head coach can typically leave for any job, but the university he is leaving is typically due compensation via a contract buyout, or compensation for "loans" given to the coach which need to be paid back if the contract does not come to term.

As for assistant coaches, it is typical that only the OC and DC get multiple year contracts and those are no more than three years.  The rest of the staff are on annual contracts which are subject to renewal by the AD and head coach.  Some of the major schools (aka Power 5) are offering s entire staffs a minimum of two years, but those aren't standard.

Seattle employment law firm, HKM has a database of college coaching contracts and the clauses, but it hasn't been updated in about a year. 

I'm bugged, but Willie Taggart is reported to be the new Oregon coach.

I love how a guy who strived being a local guy to keep local players close to home decides to bail at the scent of Nike $$$$$.

Hoping Charlie Strong comes to Tampa...

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I'm bugged, but Willie Taggart is reported to be the new Oregon coach.

I love how a guy who strived being a local guy to keep local players close to home decides to bail at the scent of Nike $$$$$.

Hoping Charlie Strong comes to Tampa...

To be fair, Oregon is a major step up. If he went 7-5 next year he's not getting a chance like this probably ever. Schiano might be heading to USF, though I'd rather keep him and let Luke Fickell take a chance at a Group of 5 head coaching gig.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

To be fair, Oregon is a major step up. If he went 7-5 next year he's not getting a chance like this probably ever. Schiano might be heading to USF, though I'd rather keep him and let Luke Fickell take a chance at a Group of 5 head coaching gig.

While I agree Schiano is a better college HC than a pro HC, he burned a lot of fans in the Tampa area with his years with the Buccaneers and attempting to get those very same people to support him as a Bulls HC may be a tough sell up front.

Archived