FCS Football Rivals

CrimsonBull9584

What really bugs me is the fact that once you get past the FBS, trying to track down or know the rivalries of certain teams is rather difficult. Sure, for every Harvard-Yale, Montana-Montana State, and Lehigh-Lafayette that you can name, there are about a dozen of so schools whose rivals you don't know.

Who is the primary rival of Idaho State? Houston Baptist? Towson? Chattanooga? Sure Wikipedia offers some help, but there is never an official source on these things, and even the team's websites and media guides off little help.

The point of this threat is to try and hunt down the primary, and maybe secondary rival for every FCS team. So if anyone knows of a rivalry please post it. And, better yet, if you know of an official list of rivals that can be posted, please post a link.

Since I'm most familiar with the Big Sky, here are the known rivalries in that conference.

Montana-Montana State (Brawl of the Wild, Cat-Griz, Griz-Cat)

Montana-Idaho (Little Brown Stein)

Montana-Eastern Washington (Governor's Cup)

Northern Arizona-Portland State (The Dam Cup)

Southern Utah-Weber State

UC Davis-Sacramento State (Causeway Classic)

UC Davis-Cal Poly (Battle for the Golden Horseshoe)

North Dakota-North Dakota State (Nickel Trophy)

North Dakota-South Dakota (Sitting Bull Trophy)

No known rivals for:

Idaho State

Northern Colorado

I know a few.

MEAC

• Howard vs Hampton
  • North Carolina A&T vs North Carolina Central
  • Florida A&M vs Bethune-Cookman
  • Howard vs North Carolina A&T (Secondary rivalry for both. A&T has huge alumni base in the DC area)
  • Hampton vs Norfolk State (Main rival for NSU, secondary for Hampton)
  • Howard vs Morgan State (secondary for Howard, main football rival for Morgan)
  • North Carolina A&T vs South Carolina State (secondary rival for A&T, main rival of SCSU)

CAA

• Richmond, James Madison and William & Mary pretty much have a three way rivalry with each other
  • New Hampshire vs Maine

SoCon

• Furman vs Wofford

SWAC

• Grambling vs Southern
  • Alabama State vs Alabama A&M
  • Mississpi Valley State vs Jackson State
  • Texas Southern vs Prairie View A&M

Others

• The Citadel vs VMI
  • Stephen F. Austin vs Sam Houston State (not totally sure about this one)

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I can help out with a few of these as far as El Cid goes.

The Citadel vs. VMI - Silver Shako (as mentioned above)

The Citadel vs. Furman

The Citadel vs. Wofford - They've always played but just implemented the "Big Dog Trophy" last season

This one is more on their end than it is ours, but...

Charleston Southern vs. The Citadel

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I think Towson considers Delaware it's primary rival.  However, I'm not sure Delaware agrees.

In the Patriot League, Lafayette-Lehigh* is obviously the No. 1.  Beyond that, I don't think anyone has a definitive primary rival.  I think it depends on the sport more than the school.  For example, Lehigh and Colgate have a pretty good football rivalry, but I don't think it necessarily carries over to other sports.

In the Ivy League, I think Penn and Princeton may consider each other archrivals.  I'm not sure after that.

* -- Note the order in which the schools are listed.  :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

In the Ivy League, I think Penn and Princeton may consider each other archrivals.  I'm not sure after that.

I think that just by being intrastate schools, Cornell and Columbia are rivals. Then, by process of elimination, Dartmouth and Brown are rivals. How good of rivals these are, I have no idea.

35 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I think that just by being intrastate schools, Cornell and Columbia are rivals. Then, by process of elimination, Dartmouth and Brown are rivals. How good of rivals these are, I have no idea.

Cornell's a little weird of a case. Football their main rival's Penn, hockey (and arguably hoops post-Donahue/Lin) it's Harvard, and lacrosse it's Princeton. It does go both ways in the latter two but not really in the first

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I think that situation is fairly common with schools who lack one big rival.

When Maryland was still in the ACC (and especially in the early 2000s), Duke was its biggest basketball rival.  However, I don't think anyone at either school cared when they played in football.

Back to the Lafayette example (because it's the one I know best), Bucknell is probably the No. 2 rival overall.  However, the intensity is much higher for basketball than other sports.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

9 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I think Towson considers Delaware it's primary rival.  However, I'm not sure Delaware agrees.

For a while Towson played Morgan State every year. Sort of a rivalry by default of being the only 1AA/FCS programs in the state of Maryland. Although I'm positive Morgan wishes Coppin State would eventually upgrade from playing club level football.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Not really sure who Youngstown State's rival would be. Years ago, you could argue Marshall was. But then they bumped up to I-A.  Georgia Southern due to number of championships, but only played in a title game.

In the Gateway Conference (now Missouri Valley Football Conference), they're the furthest east team. And none of the Indiana or Illinois teams come off as a rival. They really get up for the North Dakota State game, but then, so does everyone else who plays the 5-time FCS champion.

A long time ago, another team that was a regular opponent, was Kent State, but they left for I-A just the same.

On 9/7/2016 at 6:03 PM, Sykotyk said:

Not really sure who Youngstown State's rival would be. Years ago, you could argue Marshall was. But then they bumped up to I-A.  Georgia Southern due to number of championships, but only played in a title game.

In the Gateway Conference (now Missouri Valley Football Conference), they're the furthest east team. And none of the Indiana or Illinois teams come off as a rival. They really get up for the North Dakota State game, but then, so does everyone else who plays the 5-time FCS champion.

A long time ago, another team that was a regular opponent, was Kent State, but they left for I-A just the same.

Kent's been 1-A forever, but the MAC as a whole pretty much moved away from playing 1-AA teams to take the money games from Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Kent's been 1-A forever, but the MAC as a whole pretty much moved away from playing 1-AA teams to take the money games from Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

Hmm. Always thought they were I-AA at one point, guess not. But, they did play YSU a lot. I think their last game was sometime around 2008-10 seasons. It really killed their playoff hopes. They needed another good win to make it as an at-large (and a win over FBS Kent State would've done it). Instead, they lost.

But, just as the MAC schools want a payday, YSU has gone after Ohio State, Pitt, and now West Virginia (tomorrow) to get their payday game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 0:21 AM, Sykotyk said:

Hmm. Always thought they were I-AA at one point, guess not. But, they did play YSU a lot. I think their last game was sometime around 2008-10 seasons. It really killed their playoff hopes. They needed another good win to make it as an at-large (and a win over FBS Kent State would've done it). Instead, they lost.

But, just as the MAC schools want a payday, YSU has gone after Ohio State, Pitt, and now West Virginia (tomorrow) to get their payday game.

YSU’s biggest football rival is, and remains, Akron, playing for the Steel Tire.

But Akron got tired of losing to a 1-AA team, so the rivalry remains dormant. ;)

6fQjS3M.png

Archived