Representative Maps

mcrosby

I'll be starting an MLB map next, likely followed by NHL and NFL. 

If anyone has ideas on how to represent things like Phillies, Reds, Nationals, Giants, Twins, Mets, and Dodgers: I'm all ears. 

I'll probably put some of the former teams in as well, at least those in cities no longer represented. Most of those are less easily represented teams as well. 

This is just gorgeous. I don't even know if I can fully describe it. I saw the preview on dribble and was so excited for the project; I'm certainly not disappointed with the result :)

Awesome work.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

The amount of work and detail involved is awesome.  So I am trying to drink it in.

I don't know anything about college football, so I am looking mainly at the Premier League one. You have the clubs' names next to numbers; but there are no indications in the map of the numbers, so it is difficult to see which clubs are represented by which images.

Some are obvious: the swan for Swansea; the ram for Derby County; the owl for Sheffield Wednesday; the fox for Leicester City.  But I admit that I cannot easily tell in most cases what images represent what teams.  Do those two lions next to each other in the south represent two of the many London clubs? (If so, where are the representations of Portsmouth and Southampton, which are located on the south coast?) Does the wheel represent a cannon for Arsenal?

So, while this is a beautiful work of art, it needs a better key for it to be fully appreciated.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, mcrosby said:

I'll be starting an MLB map next, likely followed by NHL and NFL. 

If anyone has ideas on how to represent things like Phillies, Reds, Nationals, Giants, Twins, Mets, and Dodgers: I'm all ears. 

I'll probably put some of the former teams in as well, at least those in cities no longer represented. Most of those are less easily represented teams as well. 

Wow, amazing work...

Just some thoughts for these MLB teams:

Phillies - maybe a patriot or Ben Franklin?

Reds - A man with a big bushy moustache like Mr Redlegs

Nationals - An Eagle

Giants - a big bridge

Twins - twin ballplayers like the Minny and Paul logo?

Mets - skyscrapers like the logo

Dodgers - a trolley car (I know it dates to them in Brooklyn, but that's the initial inspiration)

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

These are amazingly beautiful. Great job.

Is that a keg in the Vermont/New Hampshire area?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keggy_the_Keg

That keg is supposed to represent Dartmouth. It's drawn in Vermont, though.

Other than the seemingly haphazard choices of which Group of Five schools (I noticed he didn't include FIU, FAU, Old Dominion, and likely others), this map is insanely well-done.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, KGeeX5 said:

What school mascot is a rotary telephone? lol

I was looking at the list of things listed. One of them is the "Telephone Trophy," which is a trophy for the game that used to happen between Missouri and Iowa State.

Per Wikipedia:

"Before the 1959 match-up between the two schools, which took place in Ames, Iowa, field testing showed that the telephones the two schools used to communicate with their coaches in the coaches box were wired so that either school could hear what was happening on the other sideline. The problem was fixed before the game, but neither of the two coaches knew that.

Northwestern Bell Telephone Company of Ames then decided to have a trophy made to commemorate the incident, and thus the Telephone Trophy was born."

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived