MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

Two colour ideas for the Angels:

Anaheim Angels Colour Test.png

For the first one I decided to bring back the "periwinkle" colour from the Disney Era. The second one is inspired by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks (this one may be too risky though).

What do you think?

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like them both a lot. My concern with the second one is that you already have another team in the division that famously "owns" teal. If you want to do a Ducks-inspired color scheme, I would go with their current colors of orange, gold and black, but even then you might risk looking too much like the Giants.

I think I'd have to see a set that uses the Ducks colors to decide if it would work. This decision should also depend on whether you leave the Mariners' color scheme as is or not. If you go with a lighter teal/turquoise as @MJD7 did with his Mariners set, you might be able to get away with the teal/purple/gold. 

I think combining the two ideas could look cool. You could make them mostly periwinkle, with purple and either one of the golds as the accents. It'd be a somewhat bold scheme but would definitely be unique across sports.

27 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I like them both a lot. My concern with the second one is that you already have another team in the division that famously "owns" teal. If you want to do a Ducks-inspired color scheme, I would go with their current colors of orange, gold and black, but even then you might risk looking too much like the Giants.

I think I'd have to see a set that uses the Ducks colors to decide if it would work or not. This decision should also depend on whether you leave the Mariners' color scheme as is or not. If you go with a lighter teal/turquoise as @MJD7 did with his Mariners set, you might be able to get away with the teal/purple/gold. 

Anaheim Ducks is very close to Giants' and Orioles'. Also I want to keep Mariners' scheme.

14 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I think combining the two ideas could look cool. You could make them mostly periwinkle, with purple and either one of the golds as the accents. It'd be a somewhat bold scheme but would definitely be unique across sports.

Thank you guys for the feeback, how about something like this?

Anaheim Angels Colour Test 2.png

7 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Anaheim Ducks is very close to Giants' and Orioles'. Also I want to keep Mariners' scheme.

Thank you guys for the feeback, how about something like this?

That's certainly an interesting look.

That looks good. Personally, though, I would have light blue as the main color, and the use of purple quite minimal. If it were up to me I'd make light blue the primary, gold the secondary and purple the tertiary. But of course, whatever you decide to do is fine with me.

12 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

That looks good. Personally, though, I would have light blue as the main color, and the use of purple quite minimal. If it were up to me I'd make light blue the primary, gold the secondary and purple the tertiary. But of course, whatever you decide to do is fine with me.

I tried this:

But being honest I prefer the version with more purple.

Regardless of how you use the periwinkle/purple/gold color combination, may we see the teal/purple/gold set as well? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to see what the Angels would look like in retro Ducks colors. :)

6 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

I tried this:

But being honest I prefer the version with more purple.

Of those two, I'd probably prefer the version with more purple as well.

I think the main reason why though is that the "periwinkle" looks much more like light purple than light blue. I think if you used a shade much closer to the one in the original post or a carolina blue like the Rays, it might look better.

16 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Of those two, I'd probably prefer the version with more purple as well.

I think the main reason why though is that the "periwinkle" looks much more like light purple than light blue. I think if you used a shade much closer to the one in the original post or a carolina blue like the Rays, it might look better.

This is the result:

I think I'll stick to the original idea, using purple as main colour and the purple-ish light blue as secondary.

4 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

How about using both styles (main purple and main blue depending on the game) doing something like the Rangers?

This could work. I just think the lighter blue pops more and makes more sense given that angels are usually associated with heaven, the sky, etc.

On the other hand, Dodgers pretty much own blue in LA and I'm not sure fans would want both teams using similar colors.

I didn't think about this before, but yea the purple would probably need to be used at least a little bit more on the road, since the light blue would be too similar to gray. But I would personally use a lot of light blue at home still.

20 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

This could work. I just think the lighter blue pops more and makes more sense given that angels are usually associated with heaven, the sky, etc.

On the other hand, Dodgers pretty much own blue in LA and I'm not sure fans would want both teams using similar colors.

Yea that was the main reason why I suggested the combination of the two schemes, as light blue, purple, and gold/yellow all seem to be colors associated with heavenly imagery. It's unique but still fits with the identity.

As for being too close to the Dodgers, I think the use of gold and purple, along with being a different shade of blue, can be plenty enough to distinguish from the iconic "Dodger Blue." I wasn't alive when this occured, but back when the Angels were more navy-based I wouldn't imagine anyone compared them to the Dodgers. If anything, I think this scheme might be even more different by not being blue and red.

So, after thinking about it, I'll be using purple as main colour and the purple-ish light blue as secondary, leaving gold for the details:

Anaheim Angels Tweaks Colours.png

I've thought on this description (it's kind of gibberish though): "A new era for L̶o̶s̶ ̶A̶n̶g̶e̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶A̶n̶a̶h̶e̶i̶m̶ ̶A̶n̶g̶e̶l̶s̶  the Anaheim Angels. The red and navy, which have been the team's colours since their creation in 1961, have been mixed, resulting dark purple as the main new colour. The new seconary colour is the "Periwinkle", used during the "Disney Era". Also, The Halos are getting the "Old Gold" colour back.

3 hours ago, Victormrey said:

So, after thinking about it, I'll be using purple as main colour and the purple-ish light blue as secondary, leaving gold for the details:

Anaheim Angels Tweaks Colours.png

I've thought on this description (it's kind of gibberish though): "A new era for L̶o̶s̶ ̶A̶n̶g̶e̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶A̶n̶a̶h̶e̶i̶m̶ ̶A̶n̶g̶e̶l̶s̶  the Anaheim Angels. The red and navy, which have been the team's colours since their creation in 1961, have been mixed, resulting dark purple as the main new colour. The new seconary colour is the "Periwinkle", used during the "Disney Era". Also, The Halos are getting the "Old Gold" colour back.

I like the idea of the purple coming from a mixture of the Angels' two previous primary colors. Go with it!

So, this is the how the Angels have ended up:

The uniforms are inspired by the 1993/96 design. The home and road uniforms feature purple details with periwinkle wordmarks, the home alt design is periwinkle with purple details and white wordmark, and the road alt design is purple with periwinkle details and wordmark.

The cap is mainly purple with the bill in periwinkle.

The "A" logo and the wordmarks remain the same (using the Anaheim script for the road and road alt unis), and for the sleeve patch I brought back the 1970/85 alt logo.

Anaheim Angels Home Uniform.pngAnaheim Angels Road Uniform.pngAnaheim Angels Home Alt Uniform.pngAnaheim Angels Road Alt Uniform.png

Nice job! The purple and periwinkle color scheme turned out a lot better than expected. The only thing I would change would be to make the wordmark on the home alt purple instead of white. 

Any chance we could see this same set in the Ducks colors just to see what it would look like?

P.S. Congrats on completing half the league!

11 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job! The purple and periwinkle color scheme turned out a lot better than expected. The only thing I would change would be to make the wordmark on the home alt purple instead of white. 

Any chance we could see this same set in the Ducks colors just to see what it would look like?

P.S. Congrats on completing half the league!

Thank you very much!

Does this version of the home alt look better?

Anaheim Angels Home Alt Uniform 2.png

About trying out the Ducks' scheme, I'll start it tomorrow ;)

Archived