MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

Nice work on the Rangers! I can dig the updated scripts, they have a bit of a throwback feel to 'em. The uniform set itself is a tad plain (might be just the jersey numbers because I like everything else) but that red alt looks especially great. See comment below though:

10 minutes ago, cjm3114jr said:

Is there not going to be an alternate hat? The red jersey would look good with a red hat.

Totally agree. The Rangers advertise a lot of "Red Out The Ballpark" nights so a red cap is very necessary.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, cjm3114jr said:

Is there not going to be an alternate hat? The red jersey would look good with a red hat.

8 hours ago, Steelman said:

Totally agree. The Rangers advertise a lot of "Red Out The Ballpark" nights so a red cap is very necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion. Here it is:

Texas Rangers Road Alt Uniform.png

After talking with @MJD7 about our expansion teams projects, the idea of changing the Montreal Expos' colour scheme came to my mind.

I think there are too many teams using the blue/red combination, so I came up with a couple of ideas:

-First, two schemes inspired by the Notre Dame Island, where the Expo 67 took place:

Montreal Expos Colour Scheme 2.png

Montreal Expos Colour Scheme 3.png

-Also, I decide to try a scheme inspired by the Asheville Tourists:

Montreal Expos Colour Scheme 4.png

Apart from changing the scheme, I also have been thinking on changing the team name: 

-Given the Notre Dame Island is located in the Saint Lawrence River, I've thought on using "Montreal Rivermen" or "Montréal Draveurs" (as you can see the "draveurs" were common in Quebec).

What do you think?

I really like that first color scheme, though the Tourists-inspired one is great too, mostly because I'm a sucker for seafoam green. 

If you're going to change the color scheme so dramatically, then yeah, why not change the name, too? I like "Rivermen." 

3 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Idea: Why don't you go white/black/blue a la Impact? In the same vein of Colorado Avalanche/Rapids having the same colour scheme (or Texas Rangers/FC Dallas)

I like the idea. Will try it out.

BTW, this weekend I won't be at home, so the series won't be updated until the Monday.

On 10/26/2016 at 2:04 PM, coco1997 said:

Bada$$ Metallica set! 

I like that you went with the monogram for the road jersey. I've never seen a "San Francisco" wordmark I really liked other than their script version which wouldn't really fit with your set. 

I wonder what @SFGiants58 will have to say about that Metallica set? :)

Well, your summons worked!

Since this is my first post in this thread, it'll be a bit of a long one.

Orioles: I like that you've given them some unique striping (which preserves color balance) on the sleeves, pants, and socks. I'm not too keen on having the "O's" logo on the sleeve, as I'd rather see the "Swingin' Bird." Still, good work.

Diamondbacks: This is a fantastic simplification of the current set, and I like that you've settled on black/red/teal. My only issue is the use of the "D-Backs" script, but that's personal preference more than anything else.

Red Sox: You've fixed them up wonderfully, and I really like the second (navy w/ red outline) road uniform. Well done!

Braves: I like the revised versions of the set, as you've managed to keep what works from the current set while injecting some "personality." I'd like to see the cream alt's sock stripes on all of the uniforms, but that's just me. 

White Sox: Your revised road uniform with a white (black outlined) script is excellent, and I like that you've found a way to incorporate the "White Sox" script into the set somehow. However, I gotta agree with Lights Out. They really do need white socks/stirrups. Maybe black-topped socks, with a grey stripe in the middle and white bottoms (like these Patriots socks?

Cubs: I'd recommend that you drop the sock stripes from the home uniform (as pinstripes and sock stripes should rarely be together), drop the front number on the road uniform, and use their custom font. I get that you might not have it, but their custom font nicely sets them apart. Aside from that, I like what you've done!

Indians: Brown and red is an excellent choice in color scheme, and I like the unique striping pattern. However, your use of the 1970's "caveman" scripts and logos really brings the set down. They just look too kitschy, too 1970's for my liking. I'd recommend using the current script logo at home, with the 1994-2001 road script. As for a new primary logo to replace Wahoo, maybe do your own take on the "block C + feathers" logo?

Reds: I really like that road sleeve patch and the all-navy alt, but I'm not sold on using the "western" font, red sleeves (the vest is a good take on that), or the arc-ed "Cincinnati" script. Still, I like that you've done something special with it.

Tigers: I like what you've done with them! It's probably one of the better "orange incorporation" sets I've seen here.

Rockies: I'm sorry, but I can't get behind the "Colorado flag C" concept that everybody seems to love. It feels too close to the Cubs' "C" logo, and piggybacking off of the "Colorado flag" trend is a little gimmicky. Giving the "C" a serif works well. I like your updated wordmarks and striping scheme, but I'm not thrilled that you kept black around (given how little there is of it). I would dump black, as the majors don't really need another black team. Other than that, good work.

Astros: That's a really inventive way to incorporate the tequila sunrise into the scripts and numbers. I like it. My only suggestion would be to swap out the blue bill, undershirt, and socks for orange on the orange alt, as I'd like for at least one team to really embrace that color.

Dodgers: Not much to say. You've made a nice little update to the road uniform, and the alt has some excellent striping. My only recommendation would be to dump the sleeve patch, but that's not much.

Royals: I really like how you've pushed gold up in the set, while keeping powder blue nicely restricted. I would recommend altering the sleeve patch to better match the rest of the set (white KC with gold/powder blue outline), but that's not a biggie. Good work.

Marlins: It's tough deciding which of the two I like more. While the aqua/orange set is very pretty, the black/teal/pink also looks great (especially with the sleeve patch and sock stripes). My only concern with black/teal/pink is that it'd be too similar to the Diamondbacks. However, the fonts are different enough that the similarity might be negligible. Well done.

Angels: I like your new color scheme, sock stripes, and choice of uniform template. I'd suggest going with single-outline versions of the scripts for a revision, but that's a tiny quibble. 

Brewers: It's probably my favorite of all the concepts that you've done. The colors, fonts, and logo choice are all pretty good. I'm not a fan of the yellow front panel on the road cap, and I would suggest adding outlines to the sock stripes on the blue alt (for consistency with the jersey). Still, good work.

Twins: I'm not a fan of the Metrodome-style scripts, but you made up for it with the excellent new color scheme and good choice in alternates (which were improved by the removal of black). You've made an anti-Metrodome script guy a fan. Well done.

Mets: I think your first home uniform was better than the second one (as I'm not keen on racing stripes + pinstripes), and you're original racing stripe alternate looked fantastic. The alternates both look fantastic, and I appreciate the decision to use the 1987 script (even though fixing up the 1993-4 script might look better). Nice work.

Yankees: If a team of the Yankees' stature had to have alternates, I'd be cool with them using yours! My only suggestion would be to put pinstripes on the cream alt. Also, adding pants stripes to the road uniform is a welcome change to the set.

Phillies: The Deftone font choice is excellent, as well as the reinstatement of Maroon (with appropriate powder blue accents, even though it was only a road uniform "base" color). I prefer the "Phillies" versions of the road uniform and powder alt, as I'm not a big "Phila" guy. Good work.

Athletics: I like that you've reinstated the 1970's jersey stripes alongside kelly green. However, Id recommend keeping the color balance between the logos and numbers on the alts consistent, dumping the outline on the cap logo for the yellow-billed caps, going with a different sock stripe pattern (as the two yellow stripes, while consistent, feels a little flimsy), and making the elephant white, not grey. Still, it's a mighty fine concept.

Mariners: I'm sorry, but you lost me with this one. The trident-era wordmarks and logos are kitschy and hideous, and should never see the light of day again. I like you color scheme choice, as well as what you've done with the striping, but the trident-era wordmarks and logos really bring it down. I'd suggest either using the current wordmarks + logos, or creating something entirely new.

Padres: I like how you've handled the logos and wordmarks in the brown/yellow color scheme! My only recommendations would be to switch up the black outlines on the friar and maybe even out the outline/no outline consistencies on the alternates, but that's a minor complaint. Good work.

Rays: The gradients look fantastic, and really set them apart from the other navy-centric teams. I'm not keen on the white front panel caps, but the rest of the set looks pretty darn good!

Giants: Since they're my favorite team, I'm a little picky with Giants concepts. That said, I've got mixed feelings about your work. I like that you've made the striping consistent, brought the more normal "Giants" wordmark to the orange alt, and fully embraced the tri-stripe socks. However, I don't like the open-top "4" in the font (maybe a different block font would look better), the "SF" logo on the road uniform is not to my liking (I prefer their current block wordmark, even if it is inconsistent with the home uniform), and I'm not "feeling" the Metallica alt. It's just too gimmicky for my tastes, as well as the tastes of many Giants fans. A simpler black alt would suffice. If you had to make a band-themed alternate, a Grateful Dead-style alt would be more acceptable. I get why you've made these choices in the concept, and I like the originality, but it's not to my tastes. Still, good work.

Rangers: Your font choice was excellent, and I really like the colorful approach you took with the wordmarks and striping. Well done!

I look forward to seeing what you'll do with the last few teams in your series.

With the Montreal team, if you want to use the "Expos" name, I'd suggest a royal/red/gold color scheme (one you haven't used yet). If you want to pursue another name (i.e. "Rivermen" or "Draveurs," the latter being more Bill 101-friendly), then go with the second or third color scheme. That'd be unique, and would work well with the new name.

15 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Unlike, lol. Have fun.

Will you be doing the Cardinals today?

Thanks! And nope, sorry. I went out at 6am and haven't been home since then. You'll have to wait until Monday ;)

16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, your summons worked!

Since this is my first post in this thread, it'll be a bit of a long one.

Thank you very much for such a complete feedback! I'll be considering all the suggestions for future changes.

After a couple of days break, let's continue the series with the Cardinals.

For the Redbirds' home and road uniforms I decided to bring back the style used during the 40's, keeping red as main colour and introducing the "St. Louis" script for the road design. I made a red home alt and a navy road alt designs, using the "StL" monogram and the "St. Louis" script respectively. Also, I wanted to keep the cream alternate uniform, giving more importance to the navy colour on it.

St Louis Cardinals Home Uniform.pngSt Louis Cardinals Road Uniform.pngSt Louis Cardinals Home Alt Uniform.pngSt Louis Cardinals Road Alt Uniform.pngSt Louis Cardinals Alt Uniform.png

Really nice work on St. Louis! I really like the added t-bars on the home and road primaries and that red alternate looks fantastic.

Something's off about the navy alt, though. I think you need a white outline or something on the "St. Louis" script, especially with the white in the sleeve and neck hole trim and the white outline on the back numbers.

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Really nice work on St. Louis! I really like the added t-bars on the home and road primaries and that red alternate looks fantastic.

Something's off about the navy alt, though. I think you need a white outline or something on the "St. Louis" script, especially with the white in the sleeve and neck hole trim and the white outline on the back numbers.

9 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Beautiful set, great work. I second what @coco1997 said about the 'St. Louis' wordmark needing a white outline. 

9 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

I guess I third it then. This set is amazing in all other respects.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I've added a white outline to the "St. Louis" script from the road alt design:

St Louis Cardinals Road Alt Uniform.png

The series is almost done, let's go with the Blue Jays!

The style The Jays have been using since 2012 is just perfect, I have no complaints at all. That's why the home, road and home alt uniforms remain the same, apart from bringing back the white front for the home and home alternate designs. I decided to make a road alt uni inspired by the first Jays' road designs. As well as a Canada Day uniform, using the home design as base and changing the blue colour for red.

Toronto Blue Jays Home Uniform.pngToronto Blue Jays Road Uniform.pngToronto Blue Jays Home Alt Uniform.pngToronto Blue Jays Road Alt Uniform.pngToronto Blue Jays Alt Uniform.png

Thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for letting me use his #19, given I couldn't find the Blue Jays font to make it by myself.

Archived