MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

8 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

How about using yellow for the trims and wordmark? Following the style of the pink uni.

You could, but then you'd lose the consistency of having the piping match the number. So I'd say pink and keep it all consistent. 

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! It all came together really nicely. I think you're close but not quite there just yet. However, I think with a couple small tweaks you will be.

- I will echo what others have said that the yellow is a too electric. It's fine as a trim color but it's too blinding to function as a solid color alternate. That means you should either tone down the yellow a few shades or if you want to keep it as is, drop the yellow alt altogether.

- Speaking of the yellow alt, if you're going to keep it, it should probably be a home alt. You'll notice that across MLB darker colored alts are usually worn on the road and lighter colored alts are typically worn at home, and it doesn't get much brighter than neon yellow. ;)

- You have way too many cap options. I would stick with just 2-3. The best one, IMO, is the one paired with the pink home alt. The yellow "N" really pops against the navy crown and the pink bill looks great. I would lose the "MC" one entirely.

15 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

I like the home/away. The home alternate works too. I love the guitar sleeve patch. Not feeling the road alt...and the 'Music City' one is a work in progress...I think you should pick one piping color and make it the road out over the yellow, with gray pants.

15 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

The yellow is literally hurting my eyes lol

15 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

You could, but then you'd lose the consistency of having the piping match the number. So I'd say pink and keep it all consistent. 

14 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I'd buy that home alt immediately. The overall identity is great, but I have to agree that the Music City unis are kind of all over the place.

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

- I will echo what others have said that the yellow is a too electric. It's fine as a trim color but it's too blinding to function as a solid color alternate. That means you should either tone down the yellow a few shades or if you want to keep it as is, drop the yellow alt altogether.

How about this? Is it any better?

Nashville Sounds Road Alt Uniform 2.png

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

- You have way too many cap options. I would stick with just 2-3. The best one, IMO, is the one paired with the pink home alt. The yellow "N" really pops against the navy crown and the pink bill looks great. I would lose the "MC" one entirely.

I'm thinking on using onlye the "N" logo for the caps. I think it looks better than the "S", and lots of team use only the initial of the city they come from. I'd make the home and road caps all-navy and keep the home alt cap.

1 hour ago, Victormrey said:

How about this? Is it any better?

Nashville Sounds Road Alt Uniform 2.png

I'm thinking on using onlye the "N" logo for the caps. I think it looks better than the "S", and lots of team use only the initial of the city they come from. I'd make the home and road caps all-navy and keep the home alt cap.

Admittedly that new road alt does look a lot better that way. Are you going to drop the yellow alt? 

I like your plan for the caps. The current home alt cap is a keeper, and the all navy one for the road sounds like a good decision. 

I really dig your thinking behind this concept, and I definitely believe that the MLB needs some more creativity and color, but I don't think this color scheme works for the Sounds. For one, Nashville isn't really known for its rocker scene at all. As somebody who has lived here my entire life, the history of rock in Nashville is hardly ever talked about outside of Jimi Hendrix getting his start here. I hope that you don't scrap the idea of a unique color scheme, but I think that you could maybe adopt a different one. Perhaps you could use the neon signs of Lower Broadway as inspiration:

9854326044_d4e3d3eafe_b.jpg

I think that could allow you to still use a cool one-of-a-kind color scheme while also referencing something more Nashvillians could identify with. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, henburg said:

I really dig your thinking behind this concept, and I definitely believe that the MLB needs some more creativity and color, but I don't think this color scheme works for the Sounds. For one, Nashville isn't really known for its rocker scene at all. As somebody who has lived here my entire life, the history of rock in Nashville is hardly ever talked about outside of Jimi Hendrix getting his start here. I hope that you don't scrap the idea of a unique color scheme, but I think that you could maybe adopt a different one. Perhaps you could use the neon signs of Lower Broadway as inspiration.

I think that could allow you to still use a cool one-of-a-kind color scheme while also referencing something more Nashvillians could identify with. 

Thank you for the feedback and for the suggestion. How about something like this?

Nashville Sounds Wordmark Home 2.png

it's still similar to the original scheme, but using colours inspired by the neon signs.

I'll be thinking on what to do with the Sounds.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking on dropping the "Aces" for Las Vegas. I think there are already a lot of concepts with that name.

Here are some alternative ideas: Dealers (this one could be misleading), Knights (I could use Charlotte Knights identity for this one), and 51's (based on the PCL team).

What do you think?

1 hour ago, Victormrey said:

I'll be thinking on what to do with the Sounds.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking on dropping the "Aces" for Las Vegas. I think there are already a lot of concepts with that name.

Here are some alternative ideas: Dealers (this one could be misleading), Knights (I could use Charlotte Knights identity for this one), and 51's (based on the PCL team).

What do you think?

Dealers is a 'no' because of the obvious connotations. Knights would be cool (I'm biased since Charlotte is the White Sox AAA affiliate) and that identity would probably look great in black, red and gold. 51s would be interesting, as you said you wanted to do a team named after a number, but I'm not sure that the aforementioned color scheme would still fit.

Here's a modest proposal: The new Vegas NHL team (which is rumored to have the word "Knight" in it) is going to be officially announced November 22nd. How about waiting to do the Vegas team until then, just in case the hockey team ends up being called the Knights, so you don't create a concept with a similar name?

For teams like the Thorns, are you going to be basing them off a preexisting team or coming up with a whole new identity with new logos and everything?

I think 51s would be the best choice for a team name. For colors I think you should change from their current and maybe do a silver/gray-black/neon green type thing? Maybe

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

The more I think about it, professional sports teams moving or expanding to Vegas probably want to avoid names that connote gambling/sports betting, so a name that is relevant to the city's culture/history (such as the Roswell incident) makes a lot of sense. 

11 hours ago, CodeG said:

I think 51s would be the best choice for a team name. For colors I think you should change from their current and maybe do a silver/gray-black/neon green type thing? Maybe

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The more I think about it, professional sports teams moving or expanding to Vegas probably want to avoid names that connote gambling/sports betting, so a name that is relevant to the city's culture/history (such as the Roswell incident) makes a lot of sense. 

I'm more likey to go for the 51's in the end. I have to think if I'll be using their current identity or a new one.

2 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I'm more likey to go for the 51's in the end. I have to think if I'll be using their current identity or a new one.

The 51s have a great identity, maybe one of the best in Minor League Baseball. They just have a pretty ordinary color scheme. 

Archived