MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that I have noticed is the fact that that there are no teams named after a plane, so I was thinking maybe the Nighthawks? With a black, purple and white? Or would that look too much like the Rockies?

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

6 hours ago, Victormrey said:

So... The NHL Las Vegas team has been named "Golden Knights", so I won't be using the Charlotte Knights franchise. I'd like to change the 51's team, but I have no ideas right now.

I think adding the 6 expansion teams may have been a mistake (basically because the ideas I've had have been lame). I think I'll do the Portland Thorns to finish the series, and, after a couple of months, I'll start a new tweak series, applying all the suggestions I've got through this one, including for the 6 expansion teams.

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. The Sounds, 51s, Dusters and now the Voodoo have all turned out really well. It's really difficult to come up with a completely new identity from scratch, much less six, so you picked two of the better MiLB identities, making a big improvement to one (the 51's) in the process, came up with two (soon to be three) pretty solid ones of your own and brought back an old favorite with new colors. 

I think the Voodoo are one team that would actually look good in pinstripes, especially since you dropped the purple pinstripes from your Rockies set. My other suggestion would be to use a less plain numbers style. Maybe use the same style numbers as the wordmarks? If that's not an option, then something similar to the late '70s White Sox uni numbers might look cool. 

1 hour ago, RedfieldNick said:

One thing that I have noticed is the fact that that there are no teams named after a plane, so I was thinking maybe the Nighthawks? With a black, purple and white? Or would that look too much like the Rockies?

Despite the colour scheme is too close to the Rockies', I really like the name idea. I may be using it for the future tweak series.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. The Sounds, 51s, Dusters and now the Voodoo have all turned out really well. It's really difficult to come up with a completely new identity from scratch, much less six, so you picked two of the better MiLB identities, making a big improvement to one (the 51's) in the process, came up with two (soon to be three) pretty solid ones of your own and brought back an old favorite with new colors. 

I think the Voodoo are one team that would actually look good in pinstripes, especially since you dropped the purple pinstripes from your Rockies set. My other suggestion would be to use a less plain numbers style. Maybe use the same style numbers as the wordmarks? If that's not an option, then something similar to the late '70s White Sox uni numbers might look cool. 

Thank you for the kind words. I'll try to apply the font from the wordmarks to the Voodoo's numebrs.

2 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Nice idea, how about using the Albuquerque Isotopes logo?

If you use the Isotopes logo for Las Vegas, you could easily flip it upside down to make a 'V', or keep it upright for the 'A' in Atoms. Either way, it would look pretty cool.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

If you use the Isotopes logo for Las Vegas, you could easily flip it upside down to make a 'V', or keep it upright for the 'A' in Atoms. Either way, it would look pretty cool.

You could also just go with the name "Las Vegas Isotopes." Just gotta make sure the logo isn't too similar to the Astros. 

4 hours ago, Darknes said:

What about using Atoms for Las Vegas? Neon Green, Silver and Black in reference to the Atomic testing that went down outside Vegas?

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

22 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

You could also just go with the name "Las Vegas Isotopes." Just gotta make sure the logo isn't too similar to the Astros. 

If the team is named "Atoms", I could be using the "A" and "V" version of the Isotopes' logo. I've thought on using fluo yellow, black and silver:

Las Vegas Atoms Logo 1.png

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

My only request is that you go with this Dodgers-insipred throwback design for the wordmarks:

3428022294_88b80671e5_o.jpg

Because their current wordmarks are atrocious. 

That in black-silver-neon-greenish-yellow would be...interesting.

On 11/16/2016 at 9:06 AM, coco1997 said:

If you want to do something pertaining to the name, maybe a boat of some kind?

If not, there's plenty of New Orleans culture from which to draw--a voodoo skull, a king cake, a crawdad CRAWFISH ;) , etc. 

Fixed your post to reflect what we actually say. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 24/11/2016 at 9:03 PM, coco1997 said:

I like it, but I think it would look even better with an underline under the wordmarks. 

Thank for the suggestion.

Tomorrow I'll start with the designs for the Thorns, and hopefully I'll get them finished before Monday.

They will be the last post of the series, after more than two month. After this, I'll be making two soccer-related series, and then, I'll come back to baseball to make "Re-Tweaks" of this one.

13 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Thank for the suggestion.

Tomorrow I'll start with the designs for the Thorns, and hopefully I'll get them finished before Monday.

They will be the last post of the series, after more than two month. After this, I'll be making two soccer-related series, and then, I'll come back to baseball to make "Re-Tweaks" of this one.

Did you ever play around with the numbers on the Voodoo, or will that have to wait for the "re-tweaks" series?

18 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Did you ever play around with the numbers on the Voodoo, or will that have to wait for the "re-tweaks" series?

Since I've had problems to make the numbers with the wordmarks' font, I'll leave it for the next tweak series.

So... This is it. Time for the Portland Thunders, the last team of the series.

I decided to go for cream with pinstripes for the home design, keeping the other 3 uniforms simple. In the end I didn't add the underline to the wordmarks because I think they look better without them.

Portland Thorns Home Uniform.pngPortland Thorns Road Uniform.pngPortland Thorns Home Alt Uniform.pngPortland Thorns Road Alt Uniform.png

Given this is the end of the series, I'd like to thank you all for the feedback and support I've got since the start. 

I've had a lot of fun doing the designs, and I hope you've enjoyed them.

I'll be revising every single design in order to improve them (especially the expansion teams designs), and, as I've already said, I'll be starting a "Tweak Series V.2" within a couple of months.

Archived