MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

19 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Thanks for the suggestions! How about this?

AL West: Portland Thorns

AL Central: Oklahoma Sooners

AL East: Buffalo 89ers

NL West: Las Vegas Aces

NL Central: New Orleans Rivermen

NL East: Montreal Expos

These sound promising. What's the meaning behind the Oklahoma and Buffalo names?

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

These sound promising. What's the meaning behind the Oklahoma and Buffalo names?

"Sooners is the name given to settlers from the Southern United States who entered the Unassigned Lands in what is now the state of Oklahoma before the official start of the Land Rush of 1889" and the very first village in Buffalo was settled in 1789.

40 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Thanks for the suggestions! How about this?

AL West: Portland Thorns

AL Central: Oklahoma Sooners

AL East: Buffalo 89ers

NL West: Las Vegas Aces

NL Central: New Orleans Rivermen

NL East: Montreal Expos

I hate to break it to you, but University of Oklahoma beat you to the Sooners name.

Your designs have never disappointed me, keep up the good work

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

17 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

"Sooners is the name given to settlers from the Southern United States who entered the Unassigned Lands in what is now the state of Oklahoma before the official start of the Land Rush of 1889" and the very first village in Buffalo was settled in 1789.

I like the idea of an MLB team named after a number, a la the Colt .45s.

21 minutes ago, RedfieldNick said:

I hate to break it to you, but University of Oklahoma beat you to the Sooners name.

Your designs have never disappointed me, keep up the good work

Thanks for the compiment and for pointing that out.

Any name ideas for Oklahoma?

58 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

How about something pertaining to tornadoes? Twisters, Dusters, Cyclones, etc.

Nice suggestions! "Oklahoma Dusters" sound cool to me.

Now time for the Dodgers!

This was a pretty easy set. The home uniform remais the same, and I decided to add a blue trimming to the road uni placket. The bigger change comes with the alternate design, the idea was suggested by @coco1997, taking inspiration from the OKC Dodgers alt uniform.

Los Angeles Dodgers Home Uniform.pngLos Angeles Dodgers Road Uniform.pngLos Angeles Dodgers Alt Uniform.png

3 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Great job! The Dodgers look really good. Not sure about the white panel...and the 'LA' on the sleeves.

I think I'll keep the LA on the sleeves, it's a detail that I love http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/mlb/images/2015/09/15/091515-MLB-LA-Dodgers-Clayton-Kershaw-throws-a-pitch-MM-PI.vresize.1200.675.high.37.jpg ;)

4 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Hard to improve on a classic! :)

The only thing I'm iffy on is the gray trim on the blue atlernate's T-bars as well as on the back numbers. Since gray doesn't appear anywhere else on the uni, it looks a little out of place.

The grey is supposed to be the seams/borders. I always use a darker shade of the inner colour to make the design look more natural. Thing with white is that I have to use a quite darker colour for the contour, to make it noticeable.

4 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

The grey is supposed to be the seams/borders. I always use a darker shade of the inner colour to make the design look more natural. Thing with white is that I have to use a quite darker colour for the contour, to make it noticeable.

Ah, gotcha.

Kansas City! Hey, hey, hey, hey!

The Royals are another great looking team, but it bugs me the lack of gold on their wordmarks and uniforms, so I decided to include it on the home, road and road alternate designs.

The home and road uniform remain the same, apart from the addition of gold. The home alt uniform is almost the same as well, I just added light blue to the cap. And for the road alt uniform I decided to use the "Kansas City" wordmark, as well as using gold on the sleeves instead of white.

Kansas City Royals Home Uniform.pngKansas City Royals Road Uniform.pngKansas City Royals Home Alt Uniform.pngKansas City Royals Road Alt Uniform.png

Excellent work with KC. The only concern I have is the inconsistencies in the piping. But there's actually an easy fix. What if the pants of the home and home alternate had the same white/thick blue/white piping (that home alt has)? It really wouldn't change too much, but it would make the piping thicker to match the rest of the set...and wouldn't look weird with the gold on the home. 

2 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Excellent work with KC. The only concern I have is the inconsistencies in the piping. But there's actually an easy fix. What if the pants of the home and home alternate had the same white/thick blue/white piping (that home alt has)? It really wouldn't change too much, but it would make the piping thicker to match the rest of the set...and wouldn't look weird with the gold on the home. 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

I really like the subtle use of gold on your KC concepts. 

And @Paul Lucas, I think you meant to say "what if the pants of the home & home alt had the same thick piping that the road pants have." And I concur with this suggestion. 

36 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

I meant the same exact piping that's on the home alternate's sleeve...but yes, the same exact thickness of the road set. Thanks, brother. @coco1997

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mean to make the blue trimming from the home uni in the same size than the alt home? Actually, both of them have the same size, but on the light blue uniform, the blue trimming is surrounded by white.

If you meant to use the "triple trimming", how about this?

Kansas City Royals Home Uniform.png

I think it's beautiful. That uniform is undoubtedly better with thicker piping. The only problem would be when paired with the baby blue...unless you pair the alternate with its own set of pants...white/blue/white is the only combination I think would work. 

1 minute ago, Paul Lucas said:

I think it's beautiful. The only problem would be when paired with the baby blue...unless you pair the alternate with its own set of pants...white/blue/white is the only combination I think would work. 

How about using these pants for the alternate?

Kansas City Royals Home Alt Uniform.png

Archived