MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

4 minutes ago, benpc21 said:

This was lost a little when they made the changes last year, but at the time they noted that the blue camo and brown camo would be rotated year to year, with one being the dominant then the other the next. They used the marine camo twice last year for specific military days/birthdays and from what was said last December they will wear the blue ones once or twice when they honor the Navy, etc.

But didn't the Navy discontinue the use of that shortly after the Padres adopted it last year?

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hawk36 said:

But didn't the Navy discontinue the use of that shortly after the Padres adopted it last year?

Correct.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/05/politics/navy-uniform-change/

Which makes their retention even more ridiculous. I mean I love that the Padres have a military uniform given the military nature of San Diego. But the Marine Camo was plenty, and wasn't half bad looking either.

3 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Looks like you're correct. An article I found from Aug 2016 says the navy is switching back to desert camo after 10 years of the blue berries.

SEAsig.png

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

"The Chargers might actually stay, so we don't really need to rip off their yellow. Let's go back to full-time boring and camouflage!"

To be fair they were clear when yellow was added last fall that it was only for one year. But everyone figured something else would be coming after it. Either a new third color to go with blue or moving to brown yellow. What's disappointing is they did neither as a follow up and actually found a way to make what had been pretty bland uniforms in 2015 (with the tiny bit of sand that was left), into completely boring. I mean I like the Padres in blue personally, and the answer as far as I'm concerned is in their line up for this year with the Wayback Wed uniform (the 1991 style pinstripe blue/orange uni), but the new 2017 home is about as bland as it gets.

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

Can we seriously just euthanize this organization already? Send them to Montreal and turn PetCo into a parking garage.

Just quoting this because it deserves to be repeated.

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Just quoting this because it deserves to be repeated.

No. They may suck but they deserve to suck at Petco Park. The beautiful ballpark alone makes most of their failures bearable if not enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

Can we seriously just euthanize this organization already? Send them to Montreal and turn PetCo into a parking garage. 

I would much rather turn it into a Top Golf resort. We know it can work.

6 minutes ago, The SHOW said:

What more disappointed about the Padres they didn't change their logo

What logo? The SD cap logo? Why would you be disappointed they've kept the one thing about their uniform that's been more or less consistent and good for the last 31 years?

I'm more disappointed that there doesn't appear to be a secondary logo featuring the swinging friar as there was in the 2000's. Hopefully the mascot himself isn't axed, as I know their mysteriously fired President Mike Dee was putting feelers out to the fan base about eliminating the Friar in all forms from the team. He apparently succeeded on the logo front, but the mascot was still around as of last week during their "Pedal for the Cure" event.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Apparently camouflaging yourself into the ocean is not a great idea when the biggest threat to your life is going overboard and needing to be rescued.

10 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

Are those really white outlines on a white shirt? Could you be any more boring and uninteresting?

They do indeed appear to be white outlines on white jersey. What's even more depressing is the Padres organization has done this blue and white thing twice before. And both times the results were marginally better.

The 2001-2003 home uniform did seem to have the same white outline you mention from the 2017 uni (though it did have a better wordmark held over from the 90's home uni).

2001-padres_1p9aaqmkbwiw1kouup6ijr9fn.jp

And the Tucson Padres actually had the somewhat interesting 70's font with some grey outline to break it up a little.

murph.jpg

Wait, did they drop the navy SD alternate, AKA the only jersey in the set which looked decent with just navy and white? Shame, i rely liked it, it was the only uniform which highlighted the double piping that they use.

at this point, it's clear they're just throwing :censored: at the wall to see what sticks, problem is that they're doing it while watching the paint on the wall dry. If you can't choose an identity, go the soccer route and unveil one every few years,but for the love ofG-d try to make it interesting. I dunno, switch yellow for orange on last year's uniforms. Or try brown and sand, or brown and metallic gold, if you really are afraid of stupid piss and poop jokes. Or even go outside the box with brown and light blue, or directly copy the chargers colors, or try navy, orange and yellow like the Taco Bell set but with navy. All of these sound better than going with navy/white 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived