MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

27 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

My vote would be for the Braves. Keep everything as it is but replace the navy with black.

It's still historically relevant (the tomohawk was black once) and the red and black colour scheme would move them closer to the Falcons and the Hawks (kind of).

And it wouldn't look all that "off" either, especially considering some old film and pictures of the 50's set make the navy almost look black anyways:

IMG_6464.JPG.62f6e75846a8691db81d35d890846185.JPG

I'm totally down for it. Great idea.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

And it wouldn't look all that "off" either, especially considering some old film and pictures of the 50's set make the navy almost look black anyways:

IMG_6464.JPG.62f6e75846a8691db81d35d890846185.JPG

I'm totally down for it. Great idea.

Totes! While I'm a little lukewarm about a team changing the color scheme they've had for the better part of a century, but black does make sense with the Braves. The tomahawk precedence, the red/black (with occasional gold accents) colorway of two other Atlanta teams, and the team's daliances away from navy (a variety of pre-tomahawk looks,1 royal in the 1970's-'80's,2 and the team's heritage with the "Boston Red Stockings") all lead me to consider the black/red/yellow-gold (for tomahawk accents) color scheme to be an acceptable one.3

As for the other navy/red teams, a few could use a change in color distribution to distinguish them. The Indians should go all-in on the late-1960's color balance (minus Wahoo and the wishbone C), the Twins can emphasize navy and reduce red to a minor accent, the Red Sox can do their whole "split the difference" thing, and the Angels can do whatever (red/gold with navy halos was one idea). In the NL, the Nationals could add some gold accents (either as drop shadow or the return of the bevels).

25791a_lg.jpeg carew-photo.jpg Bard1936.jpg9526664-david-price-mlb-boston-red-sox-san-diego-padres-850x560.jpg

Now, don't those teams look distinctive despite sharing the same basic color scheme?

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

Rangers? It would knock a red/white/blue team off the list, and the current Texas Texas identity isn't exactly worth fighting for.

Olive green/black or brick/black/tan could also work for @the admiral's idea for the "Dallas Chaparrals"/"Fightin' Chaps" brand for the Rangers.

1280px-Geococcyx_californianus.jpg

Those colors are close to the coloring the the Greater Roadrunner (the "Chaparral" of the name). While I wouldn't change the Rangers' name now, it would have been a good name for the team had the actual Texas Rangers/the NHL's New York Rangers shot them down (and if the Spurs had moved to San Antonio a year earlier and sold their trademarks to the former Washington Senators Mk. II).

1Chris Creamer, “Boston Braves Logos,” Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.Net, accessed June 4, 2017, http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/81/Boston_Braves.

2Ibid, “Atlanta Braves Logos,” Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.Net, accessed June 4, 2017, http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/51/Atlanta_Braves.

3“The Story of the Braves | History,” The Official Site of the Atlanta Braves, accessed June 4, 2017, http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/atl/history/story_of_the_braves.jsp.

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

As for the other navy/red teams, a few could use a change in color distribution to distinguish them. The Indians should go all-in on the late-1960's color balance (minus Wahoo and the wishbone C), the Twins can emphasize navy and reduce red to a minor accent, the Red Sox can do their whole "split the difference" thing, and the Angels can do whatever (red/gold with navy halos was one idea). In the NL, the Nationals could add some gold accents (either as drop shadow or the return of the bevels).

The Angels should stick with everything red -- as great as navy crowns, belts, and shoes would look on them, it cuts too close to the Red Sox, who should have navy hats, undershirts, belts, and shoes, but red lettering and solid red socks. Better to be too close to the NL Reds and Cardinals. No more red jerseys with red lettering on them, though; what a stupid idea that was.

The Twins should be navy and white with red accents. So should the Nationals, but on clean white instead of pinstripes, with the old beveled lettering instead of cursive (including the sweet interlocking DC instead of the curly W), and with gold accents. The Braves should look exactly as they did when they won the division every year.

I have no idea how to work the color distribution on the Indians.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Angels should stick with everything red -- as great as navy crowns, belts, and shoes would look on them, it cuts too close to the Red Sox, who should have navy hats, undershirts, belts, and shoes, but red lettering and solid red socks. Better to be too close to the NL Reds and Cardinals. No more red jerseys with red lettering on them, though; what a stupid idea that was.

Angels should at least have a navy hat somewhere in the set, whether it be an alternate or ST/BP.  A navy hat with red brim doesn't really cut close to the Red Sox.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

A BP/ST hat, maybe. But once you give the Angels some of the details to match the crown of the hat (undershirt, belt, shoes), they do start to look like Boston.

b042d49ee20f1ad8efe1c2afbab3f706.jpg

You could say that's fitting because they entered the American League as damn near a clone of Boston, but I think they need to stand apart.

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

A BP/ST hat, maybe. But once you give the Angels some of the details to match the crown of the hat (undershirt, belt, shoes), they do start to look like Boston.

b042d49ee20f1ad8efe1c2afbab3f706.jpg

You could say that's fitting because they entered the American League as damn near a clone of Boston, but I think they need to stand apart.

Well, that did look a little like Boston, as did the inaugural set, sure, but this did not look like Boston at all:

IMG_6474.JPG.41e4a08d4016cf76edb64163553c737b.JPG

When they Angels did the right things, they looked like the Angels. They can (and should) absolutely pull off a navy cap w/ red bill, so long as they pair it with the right trim and elements. This red on red on red on red nonsense they keep insisting on just never has worked for me.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I still like red as a base color because it separates them from the Dodgers and blue. Don't they have the only everyday red hat in the American League? Again, I hate the red letters and numbers on a red jersey, I probably wouldn't even have a red jersey for them, but a red hat was the right move.

Wasn't there a while where they had black belts and shoes, kind of like the old Reds? That's all red now, right?

31 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Well, that did look a little like Boston, as did the inaugural set, sure, but this did not look like Boston at all:

IMG_6474.JPG.41e4a08d4016cf76edb64163553c737b.JPG

When they Angels did the right things, they looked like the Angels. They can (and should) absolutely pull off a navy cap w/ red bill, so long as they pair it with the right trim and elements. This red on red on red on red nonsense they keep insisting on just never has worked for me.

ah man, that California Angels set was such a good look.  Really wish they'd modernize that somehow into the current set.  The all-out "red assault" just never really fit IMO.  Not sure why Moreno thought there was some great danger of brand confusion with the Dodgers. If anything him foisting the "Los Angeles of Anaheim" designation on them did more damage than that.   

26 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

ah man, that California Angels set was such a good look.  Really wish they'd modernize that somehow into the current set.  The all-out "red assault" just never really fit IMO.  Not sure why Moreno thought there was some great danger of brand confusion with the Dodgers. If anything him foisting the "Los Angeles of Anaheim" designation on them did more damage than that.   

Well, Arte didn't change the team's look to red, but he did stick with it.

I've always had a hard time buying into the idea that the Angels need to be red to differentiate from the Dodgers. No one confuses the Mets for the Yankees because of blue. I've never seen or heard of any accounts of the Angels having been mistaken for the Dodgers before the switch to red. So in short, I don't think sticking with red or having switched to it on the grounds of differentiating from the Dodgers (if that was the original reason) is now or was ever necessary.

And if you want a red primary team in the AL just for variety's sake, the Rangers looked better in red during thier 90's heyday. Have them do it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I really liked when the Angels used the gold halo during the 50th anniversary season.  Bringing this back would be a start of bringing back a modernization of the old look.

Well I've always had a problem with a team called the Angels wearing red a color associated with devil i think they could have a really something really unique with white and gold, but i wouldn't mind powder blue and metallic gold or maybe even black with metallic gold, it'd also keep them from looking like Boston.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

8 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

Well I've always had a problem with a team called the Angels wearing red a color associated with devil i think they could have a really something really unique with white and gold, but i wouldn't mind powder blue and metallic gold or maybe even black with metallic gold, it'd also keep them from looking like Boston.

fezee0zg34dhhjuwntvwigenh.gif

Something along the lines of that?

I think that color scheme could work.

12 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

If not for the red Angels script, they almost had that look in the late-90s.

IMG_5691.JPG

XM4KeeA.png

On 6/4/2017 at 0:12 PM, Ice_Cap said:

My vote would be for the Braves. Keep everything as it is but replace the navy with black.

It's still historically relevant (the tomohawk was black once) and the red and black colour scheme would move them closer to the Falcons and the Hawks (kind of).

Looks great, in my opinion. 

11ju74l.png

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

fezee0zg34dhhjuwntvwigenh.gif

Something along the lines of that?

I think that color scheme could work.

yeah i completely forgot they had that logo, I do think a less cartoony looking version of it would be great for them. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Archived