MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 2/4/2017 at 4:01 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oh, and another one which I can't believe I forgot, since it is among my favourite uniforms of all time:

20170204_190014.jpg 

That A's combo is amazing. Mix it with grey pants and it's horrible. Actually, I'd love to see the A's wear this at home and then wear the same white pants, but with a green top, on the road. Great look for them. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MLB shop site has official Stance socks for sale.

http://www.mlbshop.com/search/stance diamond pro

A few styles feature stripes, but they don't seem to be attached to particular teams.

We've seen the Orioles promote the black and Orange socks as theirs.

I remember a few Dodgers players wore the royal blue socks with gray stripes last year.

The black, gold, & white has to be for the Pirates.

The dark green with yellow is certainly the A's.

I assume the red with thin white stripes would be for the Cincinnati Reds.

Navy with white and red stripes: Braves, Nationals, Indians, Twins?

The black ones with many thin white stripes and pale gray with black stripes: White Sox?

thumb (1).jpg

thumb (2).jpg

thumb (3).jpg

thumb (4).jpg

thumb (5).jpg

thumb (6).jpg

thumb (7).jpg

thumb.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wally1912 said:

A few styles feature stripes, but they don't seem to be attached to particular teams.

I remember a few Dodgers players wore the royal blue socks with gray stripes last year.

The black ones with many thin white stripes and pale gray with black stripes: White Sox?

thumb (2).jpg

Swap the Black for Royal Blue and I'd love to the the Mets rock these style socks

I am not a fan of Stance socks.

Reasons: 1, they can't get colors right. The players put them on and white stretches out and turns into grey. Yellow becomes mustard, orange becomes red etc etc. 2. the Stance logo is too intrusive. 3. there's no rhyme or reason to any of the striping patterns. 4. They lead to players on the same team wearing different socks in the same game. The league needs to start enforcing sock rules the way the NFL does for uniformity's sake, and teams need to start telling Stance to get their official stripes right. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

other than the logo placement (which kinda ruins it IMO) those are nice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, Wally1912 said:

thumb (1).jpg

thumb (2).jpg

thumb (3).jpg

thumb (4).jpg

thumb (5).jpg

thumb (6).jpg

thumb (7).jpg

thumb.jpg

From the @MLB Twitter

In answer to: Who are the red ones with white stripes for?

Red ones are for @Angels, @Reds, @RedSox, @Cardinals and @Nationals

I also read somewhere, don't remember where, that these are spring training socks, more team-centric designs to come for regular season.

14 hours ago, hawk36 said:
On 2/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oh, and another one which I can't believe I forgot, since it is among my favourite uniforms of all time:

20170204_190014.jpg 

That A's combo is amazing. Mix it with grey pants and it's horrible. Actually, I'd love to see the A's wear this at home and then wear the same white pants, but with a green top, on the road. Great look for them. 

The MLB Network has a show about the 1970s A's airing tonight, February 7, at 9:00 Eastern, then again at 12:00 midnight and 2am Eastern.  They are bound to discuss the uniforms.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

16 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I am not a fan of Stance socks.

Reasons: 1, they can't get colors right. The players put them on and white stretches out and turns into grey. Yellow becomes mustard, orange becomes red etc etc. 2. the Stance logo is too intrusive. 3. there's no rhyme or reason to any of the striping patterns. 4. They lead to players on the same team wearing different socks in the same game. The league needs to start enforcing sock rules the way the NFL does for uniformity's sake, and teams need to start telling Stance to get their official stripes right. 

That's my biggest issue with them. So many teams have gorgeous striping patterns, but these, while colorful, just throw random stripes of different weights on the sock.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Huh.   So, the by the look of things, Stance made several generic sock patterns and everyone with the same color scheme gets the same socks.   I'm assuming that these choices in patterns and such are an expression of the concept people have been talking about with alternate jerseys.   Experiment, have a little fun, do something different.   I'm hoping that their regular season socks will be in keeping with team's identities.   The Cardinals, Athletics, Orioles, Mariners, Giants, and Rays already have socks schemes of differing levels of history.  

I'd hope it would be similar to times in the past where new paradigms come to sports.   Some teams jump into the future.   Some demand to remain where they are.   I'd expect to see the Diamondbacks, Mariners, Marlins, and Brewers to feature some craziness akin to the ST socks and the Cards, Giants, Cubs, and Yankees to remain about where they are.  The Athletics have some iconic past socks styles that are gorgeous, but they got there by constantly shifting and holding no reverence for their past identity, so... they could go either way.

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh.   So, the by the look of things, Stance made several generic sock patterns and everyone with the same color scheme gets the same socks.   I'm assuming that these choices in patterns and such are an expression of the concept people have been talking about with alternate jerseys.   Experiment, have a little fun, do something different.   I'm hoping that their regular season socks will be in keeping with team's identities.   The Cardinals, Athletics, Orioles, Mariners, Giants, and Rays already have socks schemes of differing levels of history.  

I'd hope it would be similar to times in the past where new paradigms come to sports.   Some teams jump into the future.   Some demand to remain where they are.   I'd expect to see the Diamondbacks, Mariners, Marlins, and Brewers to feature some craziness akin to the ST socks and the Cards, Giants, Cubs, and Yankees to remain about where they are.  The Athletics have some iconic past socks styles that are gorgeous, but they got there by constantly shifting and holding no reverence for their past identity, so... they could go either way.

I remember the Rays were a little plaid/argyle crazy a few years ago. It didn't look awful, would definitely make an interesting/unique sock pattern

Just now, KGeeX5 said:

I remember the Rays were a little plaid/argyle crazy a few years ago. It didn't look awful, would definitely make an interesting/unique sock pattern

At the beginning of the 2016 MLB thread, when they said there was two teams getting rebrands, I went through each team.   I'd asked the question of whether or not plaid was still part of the Rays identity.   In fact, I'm still not sure.

Plaid happened because of the suits they wore while travelling under Maddon.   I don't know if the team or fanbase still keep it going or if it's gone the way of Scooter the Squirrel and Doing the Bernie.  I do think they should incorporate it more into their identity.   It made them unique.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived