MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

18 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

At the beginning of the 2016 MLB thread, when they said there was two teams getting rebrands, I went through each team.   I'd asked the question of whether or not plaid was still part of the Rays identity.   In fact, I'm still not sure.

Plaid happened because of the suits they wore while travelling under Maddon.   I don't know if the team or fanbase still keep it going or if it's gone the way of Scooter the Squirrel and Doing the Bernie.  I do think they should incorporate it more into their identity.   It made them unique.

Yeah, I figured it was just a fad, i really wanted the plaid brim hat, couldn't find it tho :( It would make a great addition to their identity for sure

They should really bring back the actual ray and dumb that awkward yellow spike ball they call a "ray of light." Navy, Powder Blue, with Yellow and maybe even a Dark Blue/Green accent would be great for the team I think. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did that plaid Rays cap work as far as being official and what not? Like is or was that considered an official authentic on field cap? Seems like it was just a brief thing for a couple games and that's it. I'd imagine wearing it for actual games and not just like for BP would be something that MLB would actually have to approve because aren't they not allowed to wear caps jerseys or pants that are not considered "official"?

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

How did that plaid Rays cap work as far as being official and what not? Like is or was that considered an official authentic on field cap? Seems like it was just a brief thing for a couple games and that's it. I'd imagine wearing it for actual games and not just like for BP would be something that MLB would actually have to approve because aren't they not allowed to wear caps jerseys or pants that are not considered "official"?

" The word was that these caps were only going to to worn during batting practice yet last night they trotted on the field with the hats on head."

http://www.strictlyfitteds.com/blog/2010/10/tampa-bay-rays-debute-their-plaid-brim-59fifty-fitted-cap

I thought they looked pretty nice. 

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Im pretty sure it wasn't "official", but they were allowed to wear it one game in 2010 (I think that was the year).

The caps were more or less official. MLB allowed them to become the new BP caps towards the end of the regular season, they wore them in the home finale, and a lot of their postseason gear had plaid (at least the retail merchandise did -- I can't remember if the players' stuff had it). Then it was just kinda dropped. They sold some shirts with the Rays logo across the chest in plaid, but that's about it. It was a shame because, like some others have said, it was unique and looked pretty nice as far as uniform gimmicks go.

Side story, I bought a plaid cap as soon as they were being sold and wore it so much that it's a pretty dirty blue/brown plaid pattern now (not to mention being too small for me now). The only ones I can find being sold are humongous, like 8 1/4. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I found one.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Since the rays are on topic and sone fans are chiming in, I'll try to ask my question again since it got buried... Can someone answer some rays questions? Apparently, they have three spring training hats this season. The navy blue one, the Columbia blue one, and the new white panel hat.  I only remember them using the navy one and keeping it for batting practice. A few years ago I think the navy one even made it into a few games. Do they plan on using all three this year?  Will the white panel one be a batting practice one? I would like to get the white panel one, but without the spring training patch. If it's only going to be spring training, then it would be stupid for me to get it without the patch. Thank you. 

KISSwall09.jpg

15 hours ago, hormone said:

Since the rays are on topic and sone fans are chiming in, I'll try to ask my question again since it got buried... Can someone answer some rays questions? Apparently, they have three spring training hats this season. The navy blue one, the Columbia blue one, and the new white panel hat.  I only remember them using the navy one and keeping it for batting practice. A few years ago I think the navy one even made it into a few games. Do they plan on using all three this year?  Will the white panel one be a batting practice one? I would like to get the white panel one, but without the spring training patch. If it's only going to be spring training, then it would be stupid for me to get it without the patch. Thank you. 

They haven't commented on their plans yet, and when I talked to my friend who works for the team as a bat boy, he hadn't even seen the new cap before (yet he had seen the 2016 Columbia blue BP jersey during the 2015 season). My guess is that they'll continue to use the navy crowned cap as their standard BP cap, and the other two will technically be alt options that seldom if ever get used, but we'll see. They might want to showcase the new cap at some point, but to my knowledge, they've never worn the Columbia blue cap.

18 hours ago, Matito said:

The caps were more or less official. MLB allowed them to become the new BP caps towards the end of the regular season, they wore them in the home finale, and a lot of their postseason gear had plaid (at least the retail merchandise did -- I can't remember if the players' stuff had it). Then it was just kinda dropped. They sold some shirts with the Rays logo across the chest in plaid, but that's about it. It was a shame because, like some others have said, it was unique and looked pretty nice as far as uniform gimmicks go.

Side story, I bought a plaid cap as soon as they were being sold and wore it so much that it's a pretty dirty blue/brown plaid pattern now (not to mention being too small for me now). The only ones I can find being sold are humongous, like 8 1/4. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I found one.

What size?  I have one I only wore a few times that I could part with.  PM me for details.

1 hour ago, Matito said:

They haven't commented on their plans yet, and when I talked to my friend who works for the team as a bat boy, he hadn't even seen the new cap before (yet he had seen the 2016 Columbia blue BP jersey during the 2015 season). My guess is that they'll continue to use the navy crowned cap as their standard BP cap, and the other two will technically be alt options that seldom if ever get used, but we'll see. They might want to showcase the new cap at some point, but to my knowledge, they've never worn the Columbia blue cap.

I just can't stop thinking how crazy it is that now spring training jerseys and caps have alternates. These are basically alternates to alternates in exhibition games. Wow. That blows my mind.

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I just can't stop thinking how crazy it is that now spring training jerseys and caps have alternates. These are basically alternates to alternates in exhibition games. Wow. That blows my mind.

It's definitely overkill, there's no doubt about that, but I kind of like the way the Rays are doing it, where they have alternate options that fans can purchase, and they're technically MLB-approved uniform elements, but to this point, they've never worn the light blue cap. It's essentially a fashion cap that they could use in a game if they wanted, but have shown no inclination to do so.

I know the Buccaneers had an alternate black jersey in the late 90s, but never wore it, similar to this situation.

6 minutes ago, Matito said:

I know the Buccaneers had an alternate black jersey in the late 90s, but never wore it, similar to this situation.

Pretty sure the black wasn't an official alt....much like the Titans red.  Fashion jersey colors were abundant in the late 90s, early 2000s

1 minute ago, AstroBull21 said:

Pretty sure the black wasn't an official alt....much like the Titans red.  Fashion jersey colors were abundant in the late 90s, early 2000s

It was in the old Madden games. In fact I think it's in this year's game too. Not sure if that makes it "official" or not, but it's interesting imo.

ClAFLDa.png

Just now, Michael Bolton said:

It was in the old Madden games. In fact I think it's in this year's game too. Not sure if that makes it "official" or not, but it's interesting imo.

That was always my criteria for what was official or not. I know there were tons of secondary color fan jerseys being sold back then, but as far as I know, none of them made it into Madden like the Bucs' black one.

3 hours ago, Matito said:

It's definitely overkill, there's no doubt about that, but I kind of like the way the Rays are doing it, where they have alternate options that fans can purchase, and they're technically MLB-approved uniform elements, but to this point, they've never worn the light blue cap. It's essentially a fashion cap that they could use in a game if they wanted, but have shown no inclination to do so.

Create official merchandise that will never be worn just so that people can buy it...

Translation = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Create official merchandise that will never be worn just so that people can buy it...

Translation = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oh of course. It's brilliant marketing, and at the same time, it doesn't muddy the on-field brand. For a team like the Rays, that's not a big issue, because nobody (myself included) is head over heels for the current uniform set. But for a more traditional team (Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, etc.), it could be an idea for them to generate more revenue without having to resort to wearing "softball tops."

Archived