MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

20 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Well, fellow Bucs fan, I think you need to get your eyes checked because that's definitely blue.

Regardless, the Marlins have never had that stripe on their uniforms before. And they haven't announced any uniform changes for this year. So that's a strange change to be in The Show this year.

Looks gray to me as well.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

What's with the blue stripe on the collar in the Dee Gordon screencap?

1 hour ago, TornadoGTS said:

Looks grey to me

59 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Well, fellow Bucs fan, I think you need to get your eyes checked because that's definitely blue.

Regardless, the Marlins have never had that stripe on their uniforms before. And they haven't announced any uniform changes for this year. So that's a strange change to be in The Show this year.

Here's how I have always understood the explanation for that silver stripe. And this all comes from my own observations as a die hard Marlins fan over the years. When the Marlins did their rebrand in late 2011 they originally wanted to have the striping on the home white jersey be a double stripe of red-orange and metallic silver. This was also going to be on the stripes around the sleeves as well. By the time of their unveiling on November 11, 2011, they dropped the silver stripe and left it as a single red-orange stripe. Somewhere in the process of the change the silver stripe may have been kept in whatever MLB uses for licensing the images of the uniforms. This is why that silver stripe originally popped up in MLB The show 2012, the first season of that uniform. I've also seen this stripe pop up in other licensed merchandise such as a stuffed animal of a monkey that my son has. The monkey is wearing a Marlins jersey and the silver piping is present on the jersey. We bought this stuffed animal in late 2011. I have no perfect confirmation of these things but this is what I've come to conclude over the years. As far as MLB The Show17 I'm a bit confused why the stripe has returned considering it was removed from the video game in 2013 and is now suddenly back. 

Here's photos to show this... the first is a Marlins uniform that can be purchased to dress up one of those build a bear dolls and u can see the silver stripe on the sleeve. The second pic is from the monkey doll and there are three silver stripes, one on the sleeve, one directly next to the orange collar stripe and a third is a silver head spoon piping. The collar one can't be seen in this pic but I own this doll so I guarantee you it's there. 18723x.jpghwl.jpg

1 hour ago, Michael Bolton said:

you might be the one who needs their eyes checked

1 hour ago, Michael Bolton said:

It's much closer to the silver in the hat than the blue in the hat.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:53 AM, WavePunter said:

I don't disagree with some of your logic regarding team marketing and intentional branding, but I still disagree with some of your points about cap insignia color and logo negative space/color, etc.. Again, the color   that's typically going to "pop" against a medium/dark background without offending the rest of the color palette is always white.. The rangers, cardinals, braves, and tigers for example, all chose to make the important part of their cap insignia stand out and be more visible from a distance, rather than simply make the outline stand out.. It's the same thing with NFL jersey numbers.. There's a very good reason that 28 of the 32 teams use white numbers on their colored jerseys (with 3 of the 4 others using metallics).. The Browns are the only team who use color-on-color, and it looks awful.. again, I would not say that white is an official team color for every team (perfect example being the raiders, who feature white in their primary logo/helmet looking for clarity, but who everyone knows are just black and silver)..

We've got to remember that white and grey are natural options to include as unofficial neutral colors because league rules dictate it through home/away uniform rules (or historical conventions regarding uniforms).. The Indians, for example, use a solid red C on their cap, and everyone complains about how much they need to add an outline.. If they were to use an outline simply for visual assistance, it wouldn't automatically have to become an official color (intentionally disregarding the Wahoo hat, which includes white for biological accuracy, but again, not to necessarily force it into the team's official palette).. 

Also, wasn't bent out of shape by your choice of wording, just pointing out that it wasn't overlooked.. I'm also enjoy the debate, so keep firing away lol..

The funny thing about this entire discussion is the inability to really prove either way.  Hence the only possible consensus being to agree to disagree.  I wonder if they style guides have anything to say about this, although if they're anything like Colorwerx, they include every imaginable color.  White's on every team, including the ones I listed as not having white.  In last year's thread, there was discussion about Wikipedia's team color graphics under each team, which is totally subjective given how little official sources there exactly are on the subject.

The NFL's a horse of a different color... if you will.  They don't have white homes and gray aways.  They have white and color, and generally just switch the two colors when they go from one to the other.  That doesn't exactly fit in baseball.  You have to have a conscious design choice to add the white on the away.

For the Indians, you'd listed silver on the list.  Silver was replaced with white, and both had the exact same function.  Does the place in the team's official color scheme change just because it's white?

Some teams may throw in some white for emphasis, which helps with teams like the Red Sox.  However, that's not the case for every team that uses white in their lettering and caps.  The Rays could just as easily have a Columbia logo and white drop shadow.  The Athletics already have a cap that shows how well gold pops on green.  Same for Detroit.

On 2/18/2017 at 9:24 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Today is Marlins photo day and their regular season caps have an all star game patch on the right side. It's the multi colored star logo but with the letters ASG over it. I'll try and post a pic when I can. 

They're celebrating the city's first All-Star Game, showing off in their official photos.  That doesn't necessarily mean that that's going to be a constant feature during the regular season... right?

11 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is the best pic I could find of the Marlins ASG cap patch.

Screenshot_20170219-125813.jpg

I'm sorry.  Something about the position of his head and the playfulness in his eyes... all I can think of is a recent meme.

"You can't be accused of stealing someone else's colors when you use all of them."

spacer.png

spacer.png

42 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The funny thing about this entire discussion is the inability to really prove either way.  Hence the only possible consensus being to agree to disagree.  I wonder if they style guides have anything to say about this, although if they're anything like Colorwerx, they include every imaginable color.  White's on every team, including the ones I listed as not having white.  In last year's thread, there was discussion about Wikipedia's team color graphics under each team, which is totally subjective given how little official sources there exactly are on the subject.

The NFL's a horse of a different color... if you will.  They don't have white homes and gray aways.  They have white and color, and generally just switch the two colors when they go from one to the other.  That doesn't exactly fit in baseball.  You have to have a conscious design choice to add the white on the away.

For the Indians, you'd listed silver on the list.  Silver was replaced with white, and both had the exact same function.  Does the place in the team's official color scheme change just because it's white?

Some teams may throw in some white for emphasis, which helps with teams like the Red Sox.  However, that's not the case for every team that uses white in their lettering and caps.  The Rays could just as easily have a Columbia logo and white drop shadow.  The Athletics already have a cap that shows how well gold pops on green.  Same for Detroit.

To address specifically the issues you outlined here:

I included silver with the Indians because I hadn't realized they dropped it.. Perhaps they dropped it because they didn't want a trim element color added to the palette, so they went with the most ubiquitous, fair game, neutral color as an option to remove the needless silver.. 

The Rays went with the color that pops best on navy (of the two options), just like the cardinals and rangers..

And for the A's, the cap that shows how well yellow pops on green debuted in roughly 94 if I recall correctly.. The primary cap has featured a white monogram since the KC days if I'm not mistaken.. Again, because it simply is more visible.. (And I'm pretty sure the same goes for the tigers, only the orange D was introduced much earlier than the A's yellow A, but still significantly later than the white D)..

I think the primary reason here is that white is the universal background for everything.. When you design a new logo, you start with a white piece of paper.. I'd argue that the Cubs logo you mentioned earlier is white, not because it isn't negative space, but because it's a patch that was sewn onto the jerseys, and the patch was designed on a white background, and thus created with a white twill backing.. 

9 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They're celebrating the city's first All-Star Game, showing off in their official photos.  That doesn't necessarily mean that that's going to be a constant feature during the regular season... right?

I guess anything is possible but I feel like almost all the recent ASG host teams have had a patch on their caps for the entire season. 

Anyone else realize what a mess the White Sox look like this spring? They have, from my count, five pieces of spring apparel with two conflicting logos and in two conflicting color schemes. At any given moment players and coaches are wearing both logos. There are other teams with this problem like the Braves but the White Sox take the cake here. Their spring training jersey has the 80s logo on the chest and the current logo on the sleeve. Either wear the current logo or the throwbacks but not both at the same time please. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Anyone else realize what a mess the White Sox look like this spring? They have, from my count, five pieces of spring apparel with two conflicting logos and in two conflicting color schemes. At any given moment players and coaches are wearing both logos. There are other teams with this problem like the Braves but the White Sox take the cake here. Their spring training jersey has the 80s logo on the chest and the current logo on the sleeve. Either wear the current logo or the throwbacks but not both at the same time please. 

The Brewers say hi

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yep, they definitely need to drop the primary logo from the ST sleeves and replace it with the diamond sock logo, which is the same damned thing they need to do with their road uniforms.

14 minutes ago, TVIXX said:

The Brewers say hi

I thought about this but to the best of my knowledge the Brewers don't combine their identities at the same time. For example their spring training look is the navy and yellow ball in glove and everything they're wearing this spring is that. I don't see them wearing the navy and yellow spring jerseys with the navy and metallic gold caps with the wheat under the M logo like the White Sox are doing. Seems like you're a Brewers fan though so if I'm wrong let me know. 

50 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I thought about this but to the best of my knowledge the Brewers don't combine their identities at the same time. For example their spring training look is the navy and yellow ball in glove and everything they're wearing this spring is that. I don't see them wearing the navy and yellow spring jerseys with the navy and metallic gold caps with the wheat under the M logo like the White Sox are doing. Seems like you're a Brewers fan though so if I'm wrong let me know. 

The navy/yellow alternate jersey uses the Milwaukee wordmark that goes with the M hat logo, but it also has the BiG as the sleeve patch.  No Bueno.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't undercropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpgtand why you would be upcropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpget about thicropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpg.  The only reacropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpgon they're doing it icropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpg becaucropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpge it lookcropped-dollarsign-favicon-1-32x32.jpg nice.

12 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Over in the NHL thread, someone had mentioned allowing home-and-road alternates, which I said would inevitably lead to teams creating two separate identities, usually one throwback, and the other their primary "current" identity.

Baseball, with its lack of limits on quantity of uniforms, is exemplary of this. The White Sox, Brewers, Mariners, and Padres (and arguably the Diamondbacks) have all created two separate parallel identities, trying to be all things to all people at all times. It's one thing to wear a throwback for a couple one-off games (or maybe even as a full-time alt if it doesn't conflict much with the full-time identity). It's another to carve out multiple identities. Baseball has a huge identity crisis problem right now thanks to this absurdity.

16 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Over in the NHL thread, someone had mentioned allowing home-and-road alternates, which I said would inevitably lead to teams creating two separate identities, usually one throwback, and the other their primary "current" identity.

Baseball, with its lack of limits on quantity of uniforms, is exemplary of this. The White Sox, Brewers, Mariners, and Padres (and arguably the Diamondbacks) have all created two separate parallel identities, trying to be all things to all people at all times. It's one thing to wear a throwback for a couple one-off games (or maybe even as a full-time alt if it doesn't conflict much with the full-time identity). It's another to carve out multiple identities. Baseball has a huge identity crisis problem right now thanks to this absurdity.

I agree but I'd also add that a lot of it is due to fan nostalgia. They're clamoring for forty year old looks and the team obliges them halfway because it's a lot easier and profitable than creating and sticking with something new (you can ask Miami and Arizona how trying something new's worked out). 

Archived