MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 3/27/2017 at 1:00 PM, Matito said:

Where did you guys hear about the Rays wearing the road versions of the fauxback? I haven't seen anything about either 70s uniform.

IIRC one of the older MLB The Show games included a road version of the fauxback, which never actually existed, but was probably part of the mythical 'style guide.'

ClAFLDa.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2016 at 6:12 AM, McCarthy said:

Because the on field hat looks worse with the logo than without. 

But if I am a big fan and I'm spending the money to buy an authentic hat like the players wear on-field, then I want the New Era logo on mine. I want it just like the teams' hats and I'm sure that is what NE knows. Some fans walk into the sporting goods store/hat store and buy anything with the team logo and it's good enough...others want the actual hat with the real stuff on it. If it's what is across the board, it won't look bad...it'll look standard. 

51 minutes ago, TheRealCoachCarter said:

But if I am a big fan and I'm spending the money to buy an authentic hat like the players wear on-field, then I want the New Era logo on mine. I want it just like the teams' hats and I'm sure that is what NE knows. Some fans walk into the sporting goods store/hat store and buy anything with the team logo and it's good enough...others want the actual hat with the real stuff on it. If it's what is across the board, it won't look bad...it'll look standard. 

My original point way back in September was that the authentic hat on the field shouldn't have the New Era logo on it all.

If having the logo on the side of every hat is standard across the board it'll still look worse than the way we've had it since they invented baseball hats, blank. Nothing in that spot looks better than something. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Has anyone heard anything about the Cardinals not wearing the navy road caps at all this season? 

I wish they'd wear them all the time. Or a navy hat with a red bill. 

TaxSlayer Bowl_sig.png

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Some time in the 1970s, I think.  The old one wasn't exactly the same as the print logo, but it was close.

Here's a version from the 1960s.

102198a_lg.jpeg

That's my ideal Yankees' cap/print/batting helmet logo. It still has the flares on the edges of the "Y" and the bends on the cross-stroke's joiners on the "N," but also has a clear construction and a straight cross-stroke on the "N."

I'd argue that the Yankees looked their best in the late 1950's-early 1960's. The cap logo wasn't as "sterilized" as the current cap logo, the jersey "NY" had more separation between the cross-stroke of the "N" and the top bars of the "Y," the road uniform hadn't yet received white outlines and big cuffs, and the block standard variants used by the team looked better than Wilson's varsity font (I'm not too keen on it). My only complaint would be that the pinstripes had set-in sleeves, not raglan.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Has anyone heard anything about the Cardinals not wearing the navy road caps at all this season? 

Good. The Cardinals should slap red bills on the navy road caps (a tribute to the 1940-55 hat, which had more success and was worn longer than the all-navy caps) before they consider promoting them back to a full-time look.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Does anyone know what year the Yankees switched to their current cap logo? I'm pretty positive before this one their cap had what is pretty much now the print logo and the batting helmet logo. Does anyone know what year the change was made?

The cap logo resembled the print logo starting from about 1971 and going through 1975.

Compare these shots of Thurman Munson from 1975 and 1976:

Munson_2.jpg  thurmanmunson.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

No Astros changes of note, just some cool photos recently tweeted by the Astros historian guy, Mike Acosta. Cool twitter follow for anyone interested in Astros historical stuff, as an FYI. This is from the new Astros Authentics shop in the renovated centerfield at MMP. 

IMG_9620.JPG

IMG_9621.JPG

IMG_9622.JPG

IMG_9623.JPG

IMG_9624.JPG

6 minutes ago, mmejia said:

No Astros changes of note, just some cool photos recently tweeted by the Astros historian guy, Mike Acosta. Cool twitter follow for anyone interested in Astros historical stuff, as an FYI. This is from the new Astros Authentics shop in the renovated centerfield at MMP. 

IMG_9620.JPG

This really should have been the basis for their new uniforms. 

I think most Astros fans would agree. The Astros nailed their identity in the late 60's and have somewhat reverted back to that look, but with a more conservative wordmark. A wordmark that does mimick the road uniform wordmark of that era, but still a bit conservative for the identity.

Personally, I would love the current uniform with this wordmark sans shooting star and an orange star on the blue stirrups. Maybe add the orange/yellow pant stripe from the pic above and go navy blue with white wordmark/numbers for Sunday home alt. 

59 minutes ago, mmejia said:

IMG_9620.JPG

A tweaked version of this wordmark (in this color distribution, with orange caps/sleeves/socks - maybe with the Colt .45's stripe pattern), paired with a more compact "shooting star" pattern and a matching "Houston" wordmark would have been the best course of action for the team. Another orange team would be a nice change of pace from the navy-centric set.

The slab-serif look is fine, but the modern, space age-y font is far more fitting for the team. Heck, the "H-star" should have been adjusted to reflect this. This concept highlights most of what I'm talking about. I wouldn't recommend his number font, but I like the rest of his orange-centric look.

Forgive me if the answer is out there, but I just can't find it after a quick Google search and quick run down of the board (I know it's been touched on here, though).

But what is this Nats cap for? BP, ST, alternate? It's really nice. I'd like to see a little more creativity like this out of MLB teams, with the stripes.

IMG_7924.JPG

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Forgive me if the answer is out there, but I just can't find it after a quick Google search and quick run down of the board (I know it's been touched on here, though).

But what is this Nats cap for? BP, ST, alternate? It's really nice. I'd like to see a little more creativity like this out of MLB teams, with the stripes.

IMG_7924.JPG

BP, it's a throwback to old Senators cap.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/109216-mlb-changes-2017/?page=100

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived