MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 3/28/2017 at 2:41 PM, Michael Bolton said:

IIRC one of the older MLB The Show games included a road version of the fauxback, which never actually existed, but was probably part of the mythical 'style guide.'

Interesting. I've never seen that. Is there a screengrab somewhere?

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, mmejia said:

IMG_9620.JPG

I've only seen this uniform in diagrams and old faded photos.  I always thought it would look way too silly to be a current major league uniform (yes, even sillier than the Tequila Sunrise uniforms).  Actually seeing this right now, that is absolutely gorgeous.  I was totally wrong.

On a side note, a closer look at the photo day uniforms from Getty revealed that there are actually pictures of the Seattle patch.  But I noticed a few oddities...

kirby-yates-of-the-los-angeles-angels-po

Over half of the Angels have had the S completely disappear on them.  I've never noticed this before in-game, but it's bizarre.  Is the wordmark really that wide that this is a problem?

charlie-tilson-of-the-chicago-white-sox-mark-reed-of-the-arizona-diamondbacks-po

Both the White Sox and Diamondbacks have a number of people wearing old memorial patches.  This is especially odd in the case of Chicago who wore two patches last year, meaning this is an especially old uniform being worn.  Is this a common thing that falls through the gaps on picture day?

nick-routt-of-the-cincinnati-reds-poses-

About half the Reds don't have numbers on their chests.  Is this a matter of not having a spot on the roster yet?

Also, I kinda like how the uniform looks without the number.  It may be blasphemy, but it may also just be that the complex number font and plack piping make this version look better.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:51 AM, Gothamite said:

Hmm.  That's frustrating.  I've taken NE flags off caps before and the results have been pretty good.

Can we see a pic?

Looking at it now, it's not as bad as I remembered. The lighting isn't doing it any justice, but you can make out the shadowing of the logo. There's a small hole at the bottom right corner. Mostly, that area of the fabric looks frayed, which doesn't show up on the photo. It doesn't look terrible, but I don't think I'd buy a new cap with the intention of doing that.

I was at the mall yesterday and saw the new NE hats. The logo looks HORRIBLE. Especially one simple two-color hats like the Sox, Yankees and Tigers, I will never get used to it. But anyway, the logo was abnormally large and 3D. Upon closer look, it was a 3D patch that they glued on. I assume NE just glued logo patches on old stock to "update" them, but they also had a few of the older caps in stock without the logo. So, if one were to buy the caps with the logo patch, that would probably be easier to remove. But for the Cubs champions hat, that logo would most likely be stitched.

Also, New Era finally solved their problem of colored stitching on white crowns. They had Sox throwback and Orioles home caps, and the new versions had clear/white stitching on the front panel. This kinda sucks for me because I just caved and bought a new 83 Sox cap with the stitching. I bought a few caps for back stock, because I don't ever intend on buying any more hats now that the logo is on the side.

untitled.png

OldRomanSig2.jpg

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

About half the Reds don't have numbers on their chests.  Is this a matter of not having a spot on the roster yet?

Do those arms really belong to that head? 

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Also, I kinda like how the uniform looks without the number.  It may be blasphemy, but it may also just be that the complex number font and plack piping make this version look better.

I like it better, as well.

But I think the lack of numbers is more about the purpose of these photos.  They're really just headshots, for scoreboard purposes and the like.  Not uncommon for players to wear incomplete jerseys.

brett-favre-of-the-green-bay-packers-pos

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

kirby-yates-of-the-los-angeles-angels-po

Over half of the Angels have had the S completely disappear on them.  I've never noticed this before in-game, but it's bizarre.  Is the wordmark really that wide that this is a problem?

It's definitely more noticeable in the portraits, but I think it's always been that way. My guess is they probably shift everything over so the "G" doesn't get cut in half. Sometimes it even looks like the kerning of the "gels" is tighter to make up for it. 

May have been already said but why didn't the Jays just make the royal blue uniform and white panel cap combo their Sunday alternate, instead of the Canada monochromes? Maybe I'm expecting too much good thinking from a professional sports franchise...

16 hours ago, The SHOW said:

Just saw on The Show that the Dodgers have a home blur alternate is that true or The Show just using Spring Training as alternate?

The Show says they don't use specific spring training jerseys in the game so if that blue jersey is in there, the style guide must say that that jersey will be used in the regular season. We shall see soon enough. 

21 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

Looking at it now, it's not as bad as I remembered. The lighting isn't doing it any justice, but you can make out the shadowing of the logo. There's a small hole at the bottom right corner. Mostly, that area of the fabric looks frayed, which doesn't show up on the photo. It doesn't look terrible, but I don't think I'd buy a new cap with the intention of doing that.

I was at the mall yesterday and saw the new NE hats. The logo looks HORRIBLE. Especially one simple two-color hats like the Sox, Yankees and Tigers, I will never get used to it. But anyway, the logo was abnormally large and 3D. Upon closer look, it was a 3D patch that they glued on. I assume NE just glued logo patches on old stock to "update" them, but they also had a few of the older caps in stock without the logo. So, if one were to buy the caps with the logo patch, that would probably be easier to remove. But for the Cubs champions hat, that logo would most likely be stitched.

Also, New Era finally solved their problem of colored stitching on white crowns. They had Sox throwback and Orioles home caps, and the new versions had clear/white stitching on the front panel. This kinda sucks for me because I just caved and bought a new 83 Sox cap with the stitching. I bought a few caps for back stock, because I don't ever intend on buying any more hats now that the logo is on the side.

untitled.png

I know a LOT of us hate having the NE flag on the caps now but I don't see any issue with it.  I may sound horrible but I have been bad when it comes to taking logos off of hats.  Best example is one of those fashion Red Sox hats I got years ago and tried removing it with a seam ripper.  I ended up putting a huge hole in the cap where the logo was and ultimately said f it.  I kind of deal with the NE flag on the caps now.

MLB team logos in a division rival's colors... I had fun looking through this...

Some of these look great, some look horrible, but many are just awesome because of their absurdity such as the Red Sox in Yankees colors... enjoy...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/gallery/30-mlb-team-logos-division-rival-colors-yankees-red-sox-cubs-cardinals-033117

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

MLB team logos in a division rival's colors... I had fun looking through this...

Some of these look great, some look horrible, but many are just awesome because of their absurdity such as the Red Sox in Yankees colors... enjoy...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/gallery/30-mlb-team-logos-division-rival-colors-yankees-red-sox-cubs-cardinals-033117

Yankees, in Red Sox colors:

302px-NewYorkYankees_PrimaryLogo.svg.png

:P

I remember us actually doing that six years ago.  Don't know if it was a specfic thread or just a conversation in one of the bigger ones, but it was a bit of fun.  I don't think the idea is bad.  I think their definition of "rivalry" is, as well as their decision to make everyone's rival a third team rather than having actual rivals switch back and forth.

In fact, I have a few on my computer from back then, although they were rather rushed.

9NoxA1G.pngsisHNad.png

oKq6xxD.pngsvIL54Z.png

lHZMG7u.pngiqISLtN.png

OBJ4aIM.pngPtu0GZ6.png

KZwprYF.pngQJJfjnQ.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived