MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

TSN's Rick Westhead is reporting MLB will switch jersey suppliers from Majestic to Under Armour in 2020. It's weirdly phrased though, as he claims "Under Armour and Fanatics" will be taking over, and Fanatics doesn't brand or manufacture apparel. If true, though, if you think Majestic is trotting out some crap, wait until UA gives you a league full of its ideas.

Fanatics started branding apparel this year (in August or early September).  

I was hoping adidas would take over the deal, just so we could have 15 teams with tequila sunrise alternates and 15 teams with 80s' White Sox alternates.  Right, college baseball?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 10/11/2016 at 8:25 PM, Dra--- said:

Good point, but I'm wondering what the nature of their influence over logos and uniforms is. Is it as strong as a veto or does it take some other shape? How much freedom do teams have to disagree with MLB and design uniforms exactly as they like?

Another question: what is MLB's logic behind wanting the padres to cut yellow? Dennis Lin suggested they value a "streamlined" look. That suggests they think there's something messy about brown, yellow, white, which I have a hard time seeing.

I'm open to the brown and white only look, but I'm just surprised that yellow of all colors would be seen as a problem by MLB.

I'm more concerned why MLB (if they indeed have veto power on team colors) has more issue with the Padres wearing Navy/Yellow (which makes their navy blue pop better) than, well, Navy/White, which makes the Padres look more like a darker version of the nearby Dodgers (not to mention having a primary color which literally half of all MLB teams wear).

Seriously folks in the Padres FO and MLB, what's wrong with Brown (be it with Yellow, Orange, Light Blue, or any other reasonable lighter trim color)?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

11 minutes ago, HighCheese said:

Hopefully we dont get that UA patch on the front of the jersey

Well we see Nike's logo on the chest in college, and on the sleeves in the NFL.  MLB Properties is even tougher on the finer points...pretty sure the UA logo will be on the sleeves.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Been catching up on this thread and reading the posts about the Padres' uniform possibilities, and wondering what style-challenged person in the MLB office actually thinks a brown-and-white combo is better than brown-and-yellow or another accent color.

For the record, I'm against the shift to brown -- I just don't think it's a good color for uniforms in general. However, I am resigned to the fact this could happen, and, in truth, I didn't think the Friday alternates this year looked half-bad. However, you have to have some secondary color to go with it; if it's just going to be brown and white, it's going to look like crap (I'm speaking figuratively, although I can see how that statement could be taken literally).

2 hours ago, mpcincal said:

Been catching up on this thread and reading the posts about the Padres' uniform possibilities, and wondering what style-challenged person in the MLB office actually thinks a brown-and-white combo is better than brown-and-yellow or another accent color.

For the record, I'm against the shift to brown -- I just don't think it's a good color for uniforms in general. However, I am resigned to the fact this could happen, and, in truth, I didn't think the Friday alternates this year looked half-bad. However, you have to have some secondary color to go with it; if it's just going to be brown and white, it's going to look like crap (I'm speaking figuratively, although I can see how that statement could be taken literally).

I love the brown but think they have to keep yellow to accent. That being said, I like the look of the St. Louis Browns all brown look but fear without the retro cut of uniform it just wouldn't look as good.

1952SLA_BAL_AL.gif

5 hours ago, mpcincal said:

I'm still extremely skeptical of the notion that MLB is requiring anything of the sort. 

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I'd be very interested to know where some of these stories are coming from. 

Mine personally (about Rockies already being purple), they told our group when I toured Chase Field a few years ago. Obviously it could be wrong but it's at least what employees are hearing/telling people 

7 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

TSN's Rick Westhead is reporting MLB will switch jersey suppliers from Majestic to Under Armour in 2020. It's weirdly phrased though, as he claims "Under Armour and Fanatics" will be taking over, and Fanatics doesn't brand or manufacture apparel. If true, though, if you think Majestic is trotting out some crap, wait until UA gives you a league full of its ideas.

Oh no

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

24 minutes ago, What Can Brown Do For You said:

Mine personally (about Rockies already being purple), they told our group when I toured Chase Field a few years ago. Obviously it could be wrong but it's at least what employees are hearing/telling people 

Thanks - that's good to hear, but I don't find the source itself to be particularly credible. 

No the yellow was always a one year thing for the All Star Game. And the FO appears satisfied with the Friday alts being their brown contribution to placate the Bring back the Brown crowd (and Dennis Lin confirmed a month or so back its staying http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-padres-could-drop-yellow-uniforms-2017-story.html). But it also appears they'll be staying with navy. But from Gaslampball, brought to us by the guy who broke the yellow being added to the caps last off season, comes this little gem that got leaked out accidentally.

Plain%20Lanyard.jpg

If it is a leak, which seems very possible given the Padres history of doing so and this particular person's penchant for catching their leaks, it appears that yes, sand is being brought back to accompany the Padres navy as it was from 2004-2015. Only this time the sand will be even more prominent in many ways with the D in SD being sand. I can't say I'm opposed as I liked the Padres use of sand and navy as a tie in to that towns beach and ocean centric life. Just hope they stick with it this time.

26 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

No the yellow was always a one year thing for the All Star Game. And the FO appears satisfied with the Friday alts being their brown contribution to placate the Bring back the Brown crowd (and Dennis Lin confirmed a month or so back its staying http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-padres-could-drop-yellow-uniforms-2017-story.html). But it also appears they'll be staying with navy. But from Gaslampball, brought to us by the guy who broke the yellow being added to the caps last off season, comes this little gem that got leaked out accidentally.

Plain%20Lanyard.jpg

If it is a leak, which seems very possible given the Padres history of doing so and this particular person's penchant for catching their leaks, it appears that yes, sand is being brought back to accompany the Padres navy as it was from 2004-2014. Only this time the sand will be even more prominent in many ways with the D in SD being sand. I can't say I'm opposed as I liked the Padres use of sand and navy as a tie in to that towns beach and ocean centric life. Just hope they stick with it this time.

If true, that's another HUGE FAIL by the team. The "sand" color is drab, muted, cold, nothing San Diego about it (except for the name of the color). This, to me, would be the worst news possible. Really disappointing.

9 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

If true, that's another HUGE FAIL by the team. The "sand" color is drab, muted, cold, nothing San Diego about it (except for the name of the color). This, to me, would be the worst news possible. Really disappointing.

I don't know about that. The beaches and the Navy/ocean are a very big part of San Diego both presently and historically. And the color scheme always tied directly into Petco Park which is itself a sand/navy/white structure. Frankly I never understood why they minimized the sand in the first place.

1 minute ago, hawk36 said:

Having grown up in the city. This is what San Diego "is" to me. Bright blues, yellows, oranges, and brown. No olive green/yellow that they try and call sand. 62880497.jpg

del-mar-beach-hotel.jpg

Well we know they're keeping the brown and yellow on Fridays, so there's always that to placate the vocal minority (as the Padres FO have called them in the past), who like the brown. And I'm glad the sand is back as I liked it (not as much as the 90's blue and orange mind you but the sand was/will be very cohesive with the ballpark). What baffles me was the one year switch to yellow. Has any other team ever had a one off uniform for hosting an All Star Game? Ironically one they didn't even wear to the ASG because the Padres were the visiting team in their own ballpark during the ASG...

Archived