MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I don't know about that. The beaches and the Navy/ocean are a very big part of San Diego both presently and historically. And the color scheme always tied directly into Petco Park which is itself a sand/navy/white structure. Frankly I never understood why they minimized the sand in the first place.

To me it's the hue of the color they call "sand". I could see it being an off white like the actual sand but the color they use is just foreign to me.

coronado-city-beach1.jpg

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

To me it's the hue of the color they call "sand". I could see it being an off white like the actual sand but the color they use is just foreign to me.

coronado-city-beach1.jpg

Actually the hue they call sand is over to the right near the water line. It looks like the color of wet sand, which makes sense if you think about it since it's touching the water (Navy).

Just now, bosrs1 said:

Actually the hue they call sand is over to the right near the water line. It looks like the color of wet sand, which makes sense if you think about it since it's touching the water (Navy).

I'd argue that sand (near the water) is much more grey than anything. The Padres "sand" color has way too much yellow in it. 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

No the yellow was always a one year thing for the All Star Game. And the FO appears satisfied with the Friday alts being their brown contribution to placate the Bring back the Brown crowd (and Dennis Lin confirmed a month or so back its staying http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-padres-could-drop-yellow-uniforms-2017-story.html). But it also appears they'll be staying with navy. But from Gaslampball, brought to us by the guy who broke the yellow being added to the caps last off season, comes this little gem that got leaked out accidentally.

Plain%20Lanyard.jpg

If it is a leak, which seems very possible given the Padres history of doing so and this particular person's penchant for catching their leaks, it appears that yes, sand is being brought back to accompany the Padres navy as it was from 2004-2015. Only this time the sand will be even more prominent in many ways with the D in SD being sand. I can't say I'm opposed as I liked the Padres use of sand and navy as a tie in to that towns beach and ocean centric life. Just hope they stick with it this time.

So basically still the same as the Brewers.  What an(other) epic fail if this photo is any indication.

It was the Padres beat reporter Dennis Lin who said, in a Union Tribune chat a few months ago, that MLB was asking the Padres to cut yellow and streamline the look. Dennis Lin is a pretty solid source, but of course, he could be wrong, I suppose. However, in the article above, notice that he's also using that language of streamlining that he used in the aforementioned chat.

I've chatted with Lin and Jeff Sanders in these chats many times about the Padres uniforms, and because so many fans ask them about brown, it's a topic they keep in touch on with the Padres FO.

Thanks bosrs1 for posting that possible uniform leak. My first response is shock that not only are they cutting yellow, but also not adding brown. While I've always liked the idea of sand, it hasn't translated well to the uniforms yet. Perhaps they plan on keeping the design of the all-star uniforms, but just changing yellow to tan. I think this will result mainly in a more boring look; at least this year's uniforms had some life to them, and echoed the Charger's color scheme.

Brown is the color that most represents the unique identity of the Padres. Going to tan again is a disappointment, but I'll try to hold out hope the execution is better than it was last time. Our sand road uniforms looked like ugly pajamas and the home uniforms looked like the Brewers.

When people think of San Diego, they think of sun, the ocean, and sure, okay, sand. However, when you can use beautiful colors for your team that also happen to organically represent place, why would you instead choose to use a color that isn't known for its beauty like sand? The Chargers, typically known for their stupidity, have always been lucid enough to use the beautiful organic colors of San Diego. I'm not sure why the Padres value sand, except as some kind of well-intentioned compromise for fans who like brown.  But sand isn't brown. Brown at least has a unique history with the origin of the actual MLB team. Sand is just a bad idea coming from people who aren't in touch with the real history of the team.

Like I said, I'll try to keep an open mind if this happens, but I'm not feeling optimistic.

52 minutes ago, Dra--- said:

By the way, this poll demonstrates that brown/gold is by far the most popular option with fans.

As much as I'd love to demonstrate that there is a huge groundswell of support for brown, Internet polls aren't worth the paper they're written on. 

1 hour ago, Dra--- said:

It may not be scientific, but it certainly shows that fans don't like white and blue much. Or sand and blue.

Perhaps the gold and brown vote is inflated; perhaps not.

On Gaslampball it's definitely inflated. That site has been biased toward brown for years.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I would love to see that but I do not believe that is actually happening.  They appear to be digging their heels in on the "one team, two color schemes" philosophy. 

The Padres do too since Brown/Gold isn't going anywhere according to reports on Fridays.

34 minutes ago, What Can Brown Do For You said:

I don't think whether the sand represents San Diego or not should be the point. If anything it should be what represents the team name, and that's brown more so than anything. Until we're names the San Diegans it should go along with the Padre/friar theme 

Well the Franciscans who settled California wore primarily blue grey so no help there...

3 hours ago, Dra--- said:

Has there ever been a poll, non-biased or not, that has established any serious support for blue and white?

Padres FO has maintained for years their research has shown blue is more popular. 

21 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Padres FO has maintained for years their research has shown blue is more popular. 

This may have been true at one time (in the 90s and early 00s perhaps, but I doubt it's the case now), but Lin and Sanders have said that the new FO decided to do a comprehensive study on what the color scheme should be. And we still haven't heard anything from them.

Until I see a poll that proves otherwise, I think it's clear that most Padres fans -- not transplants -- want brown and gold.

3 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

The sand in that lanyard is close enough to yellow that it was probably just printed that way by accident.

There are dozens of lanyards on ebay that look exactly like the one pictured above.  The picture of the lanyard here is not a leak.  It's just the lighting that makes it look sand.  

Again, this is not a leak.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-MLB-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-OFFICIAL-LICENSED-BREAKAWAY-LANYARD-KEYCHAIN-SPORT/262671092269?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D39344%26meid%3D7557eb0fa2704f30a9073a57554f3c07%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D282069433343

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLB-NWT-KEYCHAIN-LANYARD-SAN-DIEGO-PADRES-GOLD-D-WHITE-S-/282069433343?hash=item41aca5fbff:g:a3sAAOSwepJXYc8j

This one is cool:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/San-Diego-Padres-WinCraft-Lanyard-with-Detachable-Buckle-MLB-/351766945223?hash=item51e6f19dc7:g:XewAAOSwGtNXiY6E

San_Diego_Padres_6004c16c-dc50-45ab-b05d

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Having grown up in the city. This is what San Diego "is" to me. Bright blues, yellows, oranges, and brown. No olive green/yellow that they try and call sand. 62880497.jpg

del-mar-beach-hotel.jpg

I absolutely see the Miami Marlins color scheme in those pics. Especially the second one. And the brown in those pics is basically black that's flushed with sunlight to appear brownish. So yes, black. Back to the Marlins black red-orange yellow and blue. 

Archived