MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/24/2017 at 5:40 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Oh, yeah.  In that massive message I posted, I forgot to address Jackie Robinson day.  I was originally very against it, preferring the way they did it before with the teams letting players who were affected by this issue and wished to celebrate wore the number.  Of course, that opens up a lot of problematic issues ("What, a white guy can't celebrate Jackie's legacy?!") and in practice I do like seeing how much better uniforms like the Angels' look without a name on the back.  I'd say they should go with a black 42 on their sleeves.  Two pieces, not just a large patch.  Simple, neutral, respectful.

Thank you for being late to the game.  Now I can...

I am generally with you on Jackie Robinson day.  Every year is OK.  But not everyone in 42.  It's early in the season, and sometimes there are players on my own team who I do not yet recognize by face.  It's like the Cubs celebrating the 1908 team by removing numbers; would anyone be for that?  Everyone in the same number is, functionally, the same as no numbers.  A patch of some kind should suffice.

I am OK with MLB-wide retirement of the number.  This is bigger than baseball; it was a key moment in American history.  The NHL retiring 99 is silly.  He's the Great One, but that's not the same thing.

You want blue at Wrigley?  Because that's how you get blue at Wrigley.

That's the problem with alts at home in MLB.  There are several MLB teams (Cubs, Yankees, Tigers, Red Sox for sure.  Maybe Dodgers?) that have home uniforms that are way more iconic than their road uniforms. For all of these teams, if I get to their park, I wanna see the home uniform.  

If it were up to me, the road team could decide whether it's going to wear a primary or an alt, since they are the team that has to travel.  If they wear the alt, the home team must wear their white home uniform, regardless of whether the two alts would "clash."  Red vs. blue is functionally better than blue vs. blue, but it's still awful.  Don't draw the line.  One team (or zero) in an alt for every single game.

I'd also limit teams to one alt and 16 games in it (i.e., 10%).  And no alts in the postseason.

That the Cubs finally won in the blue alts was disappointing.  Yeah, their road uniform is not really iconic, but an original NL team that had not even been to the World Series should be winning in gray. Now, had they won at Wrigley in the blues, that would have been as close to a crime as there could be in the area of uniform selection.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

So look like their division rival Mets?

Different hues of orange and blue though.

Division rivals having the same colors isn't as big of a deal as it seems.    The Braves and Nationals come to mind.  In the AL, the Twins and Indians.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 hours ago, rickyISking said:

Marlins, please bring teal back!

Although, I think Jeter still might be having nightmares about the Marlins in teal. 

Marlins phase out teal by 2003, they wore more black, silver and tint of teal 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Image result for miami marlins logosImage result for new york mets

Different enough that they can definitely coexist when many teams have the exact same color schemes in the same divisions. 

Seeing the Marlins logo here makes me wonder why they even need to have black in their color scheme at all.  I'd prefer home whites with blue or orange caps, road grays, and if they have to do alts blue w/ blue cap, orange w/ orange cap.  No need for black at all.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

Just now, CardsFan79 said:

Seeing the Marlins logo here makes me wonder why they even need to have black in their color scheme at all.  I'd prefer home whites with blue or orange caps, road grays, and if they have to do alts blue w/ blue cap, orange w/ orange cap.  No need for black at all.

You are correct and, as I've pointed out before, this season they seem to be drastically switching away from black in every single aspect of the team outside of uniforms. Their website, all social media accounts, print media, programs, signs, ballpark signage, every single thing seems to be dropping black virtually 100%. If the change sticks, one would assume uniforms are next, although now of course that will have to be decided by the soon to be new ownership. 

I've been to one ballgame this year and it was in Miami on a family trip.  You're right, the only black I saw were the caps on the field (they were wearing home whites).  I would love to see them drop the black.  The "new" logo and colors have grown on me, but I think I'd be 100% on board if they'd drop the black....not that me being on board means anything to anyone LOL.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

27 minutes ago, CardsFan79 said:

I've been to one ballgame this year and it was in Miami on a family trip.  You're right, the only black I saw were the caps on the field (they were wearing home whites).  I would love to see them drop the black.  The "new" logo and colors have grown on me, but I think I'd be 100% on board if they'd drop the black....not that me being on board means anything to anyone LOL.

I know one pretty lame Cards Fan other than yourself so you being on board would mean a lot to me. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I know one pretty lame Cards Fan other than yourself so you being on board would mean a lot to me. 

As long as it would mean something to someone :D.  I am a die hard Cards fan, but the older I get the more I've started to appreciate other teams and just enjoy watching baseball in general.

Just now, CardsFan79 said:

As long as it would mean something to someone :D.  I am a die hard Cards fan, but the older I get the more I've started to appreciate other teams and just enjoy watching baseball in general.

That's awesome. More fans should be like that. I'm so sick of die hard fans who wish misery on all other teams and fan bases. You can love your team and fanbase but there's no reason to hate all the others.

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

That's awesome. More fans should be like that. I'm so sick of die hard fans who wish misery on all other teams and fan bases. You can love your team and fanbase but there's no reason to hate all the others.

I absolutely agree.  I was even (somewhat) happy for the Cubs when I started seeing all the videos of the older Cub fans that had waited their entire lives and thought they'd never see it and they finally got to enjoy a Championship.  Seeing the pure joy on the faces of fans in their 80's or older made it worth it to me.  All fans should be able to enjoy it that much!

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

All the talk about a Marlins rebrand under the Jeter/Jeb Bush ownership group (which I think is rather unlikely) does make me think:

It's going to a be a wee bit awkward if the Marlins ever pay tribute to the 2003 WS-winning club (perhaps on the 20th anniversary in 2023). Guessing Jeter would't show up at the ballpark that day. I'm already dreading the idiotic "Jeter-owned Marlins pay tribute to '03 champs!" hot takes online... with an inevitable photo of a disappointed-looking Jeter back in 2003, of course.

Given his penchant for being the man who says nothing, I'd expect him to show up.  I doubt, with five rings, it really affects him that much in the long run, or even in the short term.  The sneering hot takers are going to be annoying, though.

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

Marlins should go back to teal and use orange like the Dolphins.

You mean make it an integral part of their identity and then nearly expunge it from their uniforms so it can't be seen from more than five feet away?

1 hour ago, CardsFan79 said:

I absolutely agree.  I was even (somewhat) happy for the Cubs when I started seeing all the videos of the older Cub fans that had waited their entire lives and thought they'd never see it and they finally got to enjoy a Championship.  Seeing the pure joy on the faces of fans in their 80's or older made it worth it to me.  All fans should be able to enjoy it that much!

It was a beautiful thing, although Fox kinda ruined it at the start of the series.  Before Game 1, they showed incredibly old fans on either side talking about how long it's been, how their lives have been, and how much this would mean to them.  I quickly realized that any outcome meant half of these people were just going to have their little old hearts devastated.  Again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It was a beautiful thing, although Fox kinda ruined it at the start of the series.  Before Game 1, they showed incredibly old fans on either side talking about how long it's been, how their lives have been, and how much this would mean to them.  I quickly realized that any outcome meant half of these people were just going to have their little old hearts devastated.  Again.

I guess I missed that.  I didn't see a lot of those until it was over and I started seeing videos people were sharing on FaceBook.  There was one particular one with an older gentleman that was 86 I believe.  To see the emotion overcome him as he proclaimed "they did it, they did it!"  and make a statement on how he thought he wouldn't live to see it happen, and genuinely mean that....It was wonderful to see.

On the Marlins pregame show tonight they showed a community event where volunteers painted murals in a local school and the murals were based off Jackie Robinson and his core principles that he strived for, etc etc. Point is, I noticed the murals were all painted in Marlins orange blue and yellow...aka zero black...

20170426_184456.thumb.jpg.e74cc076a727f1bf68cf13f860ed45eb.jpg

5 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Given his penchant for being the man who says nothing, I'd expect him to show up.  I doubt, with five rings, it really affects him that much in the long run, or even in the short term.  The sneering hot takers are going to be annoying, though.

You mean make it an integral part of their identity and then nearly expunge it from their uniforms so it can't be seen from more than five feet away?

Well, that's what half of them get for being Cleveland fans..

Archived