MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

It's been around for a few years. It's the only one I like to wear, otherwise I feel like I have a pillbox on my head. Rick Porcello wore that low profile Tigers hat for basically his whole career in Detroit. 

6439352.jpg

Max Scherzer was another one who wore it. 

max-scherzer-mlb-detroit-tigers-new-york

Kenny Rogers didn't use a low crown when he was with the Tigers. 

He instead used a Spring Training 39Thirty, used a sharpie to color in the bill and pitched with that cap. 

AP_061022025458.jpg

Go A's!

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Braves also just launched a "Los Bravos" jersey. And I hate it. This has nothing to do with being culturally insensitive or whatever you want to call it. I just simply hate adding "the" in front of the wordmark and claiming that is celebrating Spanish heritage. Which teams around the world seriously include "the" on their uniform? Not to mention that it looks like an after thought just wedged in there. The end of "Bravos" tails off a bit and the spacing is bad between the tomahawk and "s." No idea what the protocol is for this set or how often it'll be worn (I'm hoping one single game).

IMG_8834.JPG

As a Spanish native speaker, I must say I usually don't like when MLB teams do this kind of things, and it's because a simple reason: it doesn't look right.

Most of the teams just add "Los" in front the original name, which can't be really translated into Spanish, e.g. "Los Mets" and "Los DBacks" (they would have to use "Los Metropolitanos" or "Los Diamantados", which don't sound good, imo). Others properly translate the name, but add the "Los", which ain't needed at all, e.g. "Los Reales" or "Los Rojos". Meanwhile, other teams do a proper job, like "Cerveceros", "Tigres" or "Marineros".

I prefer what the MLB did last year: the "Ponle Acento" (Put an Accent) campaign.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They've been available since around 2009, but availability used to be much more limited.  You could get the Yankees and Dodgers version online sometimes, but rarely anybody else.

Personally, I always rip out the backing of my 59fifties for a softer look, so I like having the extra material in the crown.  If I didn't, I would go with low-profile every time.

The low profile hats have been around longer than that. I bought one from New Era's website in 2004. They have been available to players since the late '90s, I believe.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

On 4/24/2017 at 3:51 PM, kroywen said:

From a sheer aesthetic perspective, I'd actually prefer it the other way around - teams may only wear alts on the road. There's nothing better than the look of the home team decked out in white on a ballfield, so I'd want to preserve that as much as humanly possible. 

But obviously from a merchandising standpoint, that'd be a disaster. So on a more practical level, I'd absolutely agree with your proposal - grays on the road exclusively, and alts limited to use at home (and even then, preferably only a quarter of home games max).

The thing about this, which has caused a lot of problems in the NBA, is that alts are special. It doesn't make sense for the Padres, for instance, to only wear brown and camo on the road when those are supposed to be treats for the fans.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:04 AM, BrianLion said:

Minorleagues.com always has a nice selection of the low profile MLB fitted caps. 

Well, used to.  They are on "vacation".  Not sure when they'll be open for business again.  But they used to be the only place to reliably get the low crowns.  Now, MLBShop and NewEra.com carry them for both MLB & MiLB.

Low Crown is the only way to go.  I hold out for the low crown versions of the TBTC game caps if I ever want one.  And this year was the first time New Era produced the low crown WBC hats.  I think they finally figured out there was a market for it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I actually really like them. The typography has a sort of 1930's look to it, which I love. I think the trophy is positioned too low, I'd raise that up a little. But other than that, I'm cool with it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

12 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

Take off the gold and its a great logo. The "beveling" sucks

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No on the beveling, but I love everything else about it.

A nice font with an art deco feel is incompatible with faux-3D.  What's worse, the bevelling effect isn't even consistent:  there are two different syles of E, O, and S.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A nice font with an art deco feel is incompatible with faux-3D.  What's worse, the bevelling effect isn't even consistent:  there are two different syles of E, O, and S.

Exactly! If it was consistent it would look much better but its just random applications of gold with no rhyme or reason. 

19 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

It feels like the designer was trying to outline the whole thing in gold couldn't finish in time and sent it in as is. 

This comment bothers me. It feels absolutely nothing like that. 

You don't have to like the styling (as some others have before you have complained), but don't just throw out that this is rushed or unfinished work. Believe me, there's a time and a place to call out shoddy design and craftsmanship; but this is not that time.

Sorry, I just hate the "I don't personally like it so it must be amateur hour" line of thinking.

2 minutes ago, GFB said:

This comment bothers me. It feels absolutely nothing like that. 

You don't have to like the styling (as some others have before you have complained), but don't just throw out that this is rushed or unfinished work. Believe me, there's a time and a place to call out shoddy design and craftsmanship; but this is not that time.

Sorry, I just hate the "I don't personally like it so it must be amateur hour" line of thinking.

He wasn't literally saying it was rushed, unfinished, or amateur... he's pointing out how the beveling is truncated on several letters and it gives the impression that there is more work to be done. He's giving his reason for not liking it, as am I.

I don't think he's trying to offend the designers or imply that they didn't do their job. 

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't think he's trying to offend the designers or imply that they didn't do their job

Well, he is kinda saying that with "the designer... couldn't finish in time and sent it in as is".  Actually, I take that back.  No "kinda" about it.  

Just now, Gothamite said:

Well, he is kinda saying that the designer didn't do his job with "the designer... couldn't finish in time and sent it in as is".  Actually, I take that back.  No "kinda" about it.

He said "it feels like..." so he's implying what the elements of the art make his mind think of. I'm not him but I had the same thought and I'm sure the designer did all of this on purpose but to me it feels unfinished as well. It reminds me of the DBacks pants piping in 2016. They looked incomplete. That is, in my opinion, a criticism of the design and not an attack on the specific designer.

Archived