MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

1 minute ago, Quillz said:

There are a lot of uniforms, and not sure how I feel about the black/orange BP jersey, but I really do like the logo. Overall, this is a pretty good concept, but I'd reduce it down to a home jersey, road jersey, and a single alternate jersey.

The best of the bunch, IMO, is the home uniform with the flying marlin on the breast. Also I'm not sure if the Marlins can pull of white road numbers and wordmarks.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Seriously, I agree with Bucfan.  It may be a historic look, but that doesn't necessarily make it better than the current look.  I think the current look (or at least the look before the Road changes) is one of the best looks in the sport.  And it's got some history behind it too, seeing a championship, two pennants, and the Moneyball era.  It was worn by LaRussa, Eckersly, Henderson, Giambi, McGwire, Canseco...  Okay, that list starts to fall apart towards the end, but you know what I mean.  Jeez, time has taken a bat to the legends of the A's over the last twenty years.

I'd compare it less to the Nationals.  I wouldn't want the Twins to return to the off-balance old script, the Yankees to return to outdated navy on gray, the Angels to return to halos.  And while I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds or Pirate go to vests, I know that opinion would be unpopular here.  Not to mention the criticism of the "Dodgers" gray alt, which has got a lot of history.

V03's right about the 70's swinging A's set is beautiful.  It could be a Blue Jay's-esque success.  The current set is so good, though.  I'd rather see it as an alt in the vein of the Pirates and White Sox.  Same way I'd like to see the Boston 70's uniform.

Yeah, I've maintained that the road uniforms of the current style (celebrating it's 30th anniversary, BTW) looked their best from 1987-1992, when they had no road cap.

487b84272ce073207d7b65f14b1120c0.jpg

The home cap is so good, they really don't need a road cap. If they have to have an alternate cap, limit it to the green tops.

I love the current A's alternates (for both historical and aesthetic reasons), and I occasionally wish they'd make white and grey versions of them. However, the current set (and the dark green) is also really pretty, and I wouldn't want to see it go away.

On that second bolded point, I wouldn't mind the "Dodgers" gray alt if it looked like the 1971 set:

208728c2f287d0042a4317b7b9c166e5.jpg

That way, it'd be a throwback and different enough from the main uniform to justify calling it an alternate. Also, it's funny to see the Dodgers put the most conservative spin on a then-modern uniform element (the shoulder stripe). Heck, it was more reserved than their 1944 satin uniform's stripes!

23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I've maintained that the road uniforms of the current style (celebrating it's 30th anniversary, BTW) looked their best from 1987-1992, when they had no road cap.

Actually, I'd meant before the change to the road cap.  I prefer the 1993-2013 version.  Although at least we can both agree that the current look is a miss.

Looking through the Braves' April, it looks like the only alt they wore were the Navy alts on the road.  Did they ditch the creams and reds, because I didn't hear anything about it.  I guess the tomahawk is in full force now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Actually, I'd meant before the change to the road cap.  I prefer the 1993-2013 version.  Although at least we can both agree that the current look is a miss.

Looking through the Braves' April, it looks like the only alt they wore were the Navy alts on the road.  Did they ditch the creams and reds, because I didn't hear anything about it.  I guess the tomahawk is in full force now.

I thought I saw the Braves were wearing the creams last weekend.

Edit: Yep, the daily uniform tracker shows they wore them last Saturday and Sunday against the Cardinals. As for the red alts, I think they only wear them on July 4 now, and maybe another patriotic holiday? Not 100% sure.

ClAFLDa.png

4 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

I thought I saw the Braves were wearing the creams last weekend.

Edit: Yep, the daily uniform tracker shows they wore them last Saturday and Sunday against the Cardinals. As for the red alts, I think they only wear them on July 4 now, and maybe another patriotic holiday? Not 100% sure.

Huh.  They skipped them over until the second month.  Weird.  Must've wanted their first run at their home field to be with their beautiful classic whites.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh.  They skipped them over until the second month.  Weird.  Must've wanted their first run at their home field to be with their beautiful classic whites.

I think the creams are pointless. They should go back to the reds on Sundays and maybe a pinstripe throwback on Saturdays or something.

ClAFLDa.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Or maybe the Braves should just admit that they have a gorgeous primary uniform, among the best in baseball, and stop trying to ruin their look with pointless alternates. 

Maybe thin the stripes by about 1/8" (or 0.318 cm) and readjust the red/navy parts to equal widths, while restoring the striped socks and contrast-colored tomahawk. More like this:

325e945115aab78b6c488fc5ea3b26da.jpgcirca-1950-boston-braves-game-used-road-

...and less like this:

Freddie+Freeman+Minnesota+Twins+v+Atlant

The older style is a tiny bit more legible from a distance. Most people won't notice the difference, but their brains will. This has been your "I'm so f***ing persnickety about the silliest things" moment of the day.

16 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

487b84272ce073207d7b65f14b1120c0.jpg

The home cap is so good, they really don't need a road cap. If they have to have an alternate cap, limit it to the green tops.

I love the current A's alternates (for both historical and aesthetic reasons), and I occasionally wish they'd make white and grey versions of them. However, the current set (and the dark green) is also really pretty, and I wouldn't want to see it go away.

I love this look so much. And when the A's wear their batting helmets on the road with the gray tops, it looks great visually. 

The reason why I dislike their current road cap is because the white looks so out of place. Since the rest of the uniform features no white, I don't feel that the cap should have any. 

This in lies my major dilemma with the A's and the picture you have of Eck. Visually it looks nice with the gold brim and green crown, but the white logo just doesn't fit right with me. (I think that is why I had a big preference to their all green, gold logo caps.) Perhaps take that cap and add a gold brim instead? I used to have that cap but gave it away to a friend. Not sure if I can find my photo of it. 

Go A's!

1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

This in lies my major dilemma with the A's and the picture you have of Eck. Visually it looks nice with the gold brim and green crown, but the white logo just doesn't fit right with me. (I think that is why I had a big preference to their all green, gold logo caps.) Perhaps take that cap and add a gold brim instead? I used to have that cap but gave it away to a friend. Not sure if I can find my photo of it. 

I have the solution. Add more of an outline to a white version of the elephant logo! The outline improves visibility, and allows it to be used on the home uniforms.

OAK_ElephantTest.thumb.png.f09c6d569112457f615623a31c192164.png

That would help the logo stay more in line with it's origin story, per the team's official website:

"In 1902 New York Giants Manager John McGraw dismissed the A's with contempt, by calling them "The White Elephants." He meant to imply that Mack shouldn't be allowed to spend money without supervision. Well, Connie Mack took up the gauntlet and defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia. That year, 1902, the A's won the American League pennant -- much to the unvoiced chagrin of John McGraw."1

I love how this little nugget of history turned into a team mascot. It beats the heck out of Charlie-O the Mule.

1Oakland Athletics. “Logos and Mascots.” athletics.com. http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/oak/history/uniforms_logos.jsp.

(Turabian/Chicago rules, MLA drools)

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Maybe thin the stripes by about 1/8" (or 0.318 cm) and readjust the red/navy parts to equal widths, while restoring the striped socks and contrast-colored tomahawk. More like this:

325e945115aab78b6c488fc5ea3b26da.jpgcirca-1950-boston-braves-game-used-road-

...and less like this:

Freddie+Freeman+Minnesota+Twins+v+Atlant

The older style is a tiny bit more legible from a distance. Most people won't notice the difference, but their brains will. This has been your "I'm so f***ing persnickety about the silliest things" moment of the day.

I'd rather we leave the flannel in the past for them, especially given how much their colors pop off the white, but I'd love to see someone photoshop an old-style tomahawk onto the current home to see how it looks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Braves had hardly any games at home in April (first game at the new park wasn't until 4/14 and they only had one other home series that month and it was midweek). They wanted to wear the traditional whites, rather than alternates, while debuting the new stadium. They have since brought back the weekend cream throwback set. They seem to alternate between the traditional gray and navy road sets. The red has been nearly mothballed but comes out maybe 2-3 times a year on select special games. Also, the picture of Freddie Freeman above uses the old script, which has since been updated a year or two ago. Here is the updated one (which is basically the logo version but there was a difference from this and the jersey wordmark for some reason). I love the traditional set but the cream throwback is my favorite.

USATSI_10014757_1492550422816_9250647_ve

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I have the solution. Add more of an outline to a white version of the elephant logo! The outline improves visibility, and allows it to be used on the home uniforms.

OAK_ElephantTest.thumb.png.f09c6d569112457f615623a31c192164.png

That would help the logo stay more in line with it's origin story, per the team's official website:

I love how this little nugget of history turned into a team mascot. It beats the heck out of Charlie-O the Mule.

1Oakland Athletics. “Logos and Mascots.” athletics.com. http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/oak/history/uniforms_logos.jsp.

(Turabian/Chicago rules, MLA drools)

This helps because the elephant on all of the jerseys are green with just enough outlining in white. Take this logo and making it white (as it should) then the standard cap balances out better 

Go A's!

On 5/13/2017 at 5:43 PM, SFGiants58 said:

208728c2f287d0042a4317b7b9c166e5.jpg

The Dodgers really need to bring back the white outline for their blue numerals. It would fix the "thin numerals" issue they'd have since 2007 or so, since the other alternative (use a slightly thicker numeral set, like the Royals) probably won't happen.

Old:

59193428b87e6_images(1).jpg.1cb85244e922ca3fba874b6e4976e50f.jpg

New:

images.jpg.71a861424f3ae458cb3ac7073d1fa5cc.jpg

5 hours ago, Quillz said:

The Dodgers really need to bring back the white outline for their blue numerals. It would fix the "thin numerals" issue they'd have since 2007 or so, since the other alternative (use a slightly thicker numeral set, like the Royals) probably won't happen.

Old:

59193428b87e6_images(1).jpg.1cb85244e922ca3fba874b6e4976e50f.jpg

New:

images.jpg.71a861424f3ae458cb3ac7073d1fa5cc.jpg

That Koufax jersey looks like a bad customization job.

Gonzalez's numbers look a lot like Kirk Gibson's:

kirk-gibson-iacono2.jpg

Although this M&N shows the thicker numbers:

7229_4ak_55skouf_1_l.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 5/12/2017 at 5:13 PM, mjd77 said:

I don't know if it's just at Marlins Park or data from somewhere else but somewhere they were saying for merchandise sales the orange caps outsell the black ones almost 2-1.  Don't know why the team doesn't seem to like them.  With a color palette like they have it is foolish that they rely on black so much.

Because Loria... I hope the new owners bring color back to the franchise. 

Archived