MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Interleague but miss when it was only 2-3 weeks (around 4-6 series) per year and 2 of those series were made up of all in state/geographical rivals. Cardinals-Royals, Dodgers-Angels, Giants-A's, Mets-Yankees, Blue Jays-Expos, etc.

And they were over by 4th of July weekend the latest.

Im a fan of interleague if only for the reason that I get to see my team play against some of the guys from the other league every 3 years, whether home or road.  6 series a year doesn't cheapen the regular season for me.

Now on the other hand, if I had my choice the amount of in-division games could be lowered a little.  19-20 games against 4 other teams gets tiring.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Im a fan of interleague if only for the reason that I get to see my team play against some of the guys from the other league every 3 years, whether home or road.  6 series a year doesn't cheapen the regular season for me.

Now on the other hand, if I had my choice the amount of in-division games could be lowered a little.  19-20 games against 4 other teams gets tiring.

Yeah, I wish the schedule could be better balanced, myself. 19-20 games against 4 other teams is way too repetitive, and honestly cheapens some of the in-division rivalries that exist.

I'd personally prefer something along these lines:

In-division: 13-14 games per team (54 total games)

Out-of-division: 9 games per team (90 total games)

Interleague: One 3-game series against 6 different teams (18 total games). You can have the existing rotating divisional matchups (for instance, this year, AL East vs. NL Central), plus one "rivalry" series (e.g. Yankees/Mets, Cubs/White Sox). For teams without a natural interleague 'rival' (Red Sox, Phillies, Mariners, etc.) they can rotate facing teams in the opposite league who don't have natural 'rivals.'

3 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Why can't batting lineups be 10 players then? Have both a DH & allow the Pitcher to hit. 

That would screw up the entire symmetry of 3 outs in an inning perfectly dividing into a 9-man lineup. There's, at minimum, 27 plate appearances per team in a game (unless they're at home and carry a lead into the 9th), which means at minimum 3 plate appearances per player. With a 10 man lineup, you'd see the last 3 hitters in the lineup potentially only receive 2 plate appearances in a game.

The symmetry is perfect as-is; no need to screw it up in order to insert a boring almost-automatic out into the lineup.

20 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Orioles are describing it as a Celebrate Maryland day and jersey, only fanatics is saying preakness

EDIT: www.facebook.com%2FOrioles%2Fposts%2F10150827655529990

Also, i love the jersey. And if it is minor leagueish, so what. Orioles are typically fantastic with jersey rotation and wearing thier whites/greys on a regular basis.

The real "Maryland Day" is March 25th every year, before baseball season begins.  

Just now, Bill81361 said:

The real "Maryland Day" is March 25th every year, before baseball season begins.  

you're right, it is. Doesnt change what the team is describing it is, however.

(thought i edited my post to include this, guess i didnt)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 minute ago, kroywen said:

That would screw up the entire symmetry of 3 outs in an inning perfectly dividing into a 9-man lineup. There's, at minimum, 27 plate appearances per team in a game (unless they're at home and carry a lead into the 9th), which means at minimum 3 plate appearances per player. With a 10 man lineup, you'd see the last 3 hitters in the lineup potentially only receive 2 plate appearances in a game.

The symmetry is perfect as-is; no need to screw it up in order to insert a boring almost-automatic out into the lineup.

That's the issue right there. Not all pitchers can hit, not all batters can field....... heck, even some batters can't hit very well & are used mostly for their fielding abilities. Why not allow pitchers to bat if they can do so or even can't when we see catchers go up and look almost as bad at the plate? 

With a 10 man lineup, baseball becomes more of a strategy game. At the very least, only 80% of the lineup would get 3 at bats, thus allowing a manager to decide who deserves the 3 at bats. This also allows for teams to use PH's more often, thus allowing more playing time to bench players. It's a win-win, IMO. Plus... I'm a fan of both. I like seeing a power bat & I also like seeing pitchers hit. Why can't we have both? 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

19 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I see you consider strategy boring.  And instead prefer the swing away mentality.

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I see you consider strategy boring.  And instead prefer the swing away mentality.

12 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

That's the issue right there. Not all pitchers can hit, not all batters can field....... heck, even some batters can't hit very well & are used mostly for their fielding abilities. Why not allow pitchers to bat if they can do so or even can't when we see catchers go up and look almost as bad at the plate? 

With a 10 man lineup, baseball becomes more of a strategy game. At the very least, only 80% of the lineup would get 3 at bats, thus allowing a manager to decide who deserves the 3 at bats. This also allows for teams to use PH's more often, thus allowing more playing time to bench players. It's a win-win, IMO. Plus... I'm a fan of both. I like seeing a power bat & I also like seeing pitchers hit. Why can't we have both? 

Honestly, I consider pitchers batting to detract from strategy, not enhance it. I recall Joe Torre, who was a lifelong NL player and manager until coming to the Yankees, saying that he found making pitching changes actually easier in the NL, because they're largely made for you, based on when the pitcher's spot comes up.

I'd much rather see a manager try to strategize pitching changes around a more balanced lineup that has as few weak spots as possible. Having the ability to mold pitching changes around matchups, rather than around one's batting lineup, enhances the strategic element of the game. Likewise, having a very soft spot in the lineup (and pitchers are, as a general rule, far worse hitters than even the weakest hitting catchers or middle infielders) gives pitchers an easy exit out of a difficult situation. It's far more interesting to try and see a pitcher either pitch around a potent DH, or try to get said DH out, than it is to see a pitcher overpowering his counterpart pitcher to get out of a jam. The DH leads to both a far more exciting, and more strategic, game.

This is obviously a matter of perspective, but as a born-and-bred American League fan, I find pitchers hitting to be nothing more than an occasionally amusing novelty. It's fun, for an AL fan at least, to see your team's pitchers up at the plate during rare interleague games. But I find I'm sick of it after one or two games (and certainly after having a rally quashed by the pitcher's spot coming up). It's a novelty to me, not something I'd want to see day in and day out.

(That said, I do prefer the two leagues having different rules as it pertains to the DH. For one, it's virtually the only thing distinguishing the leagues from one another now. And second, it provides a fun novelty for fans during interleague play, in seeing the other league's rules in action.)

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

No idea why some people don't want interleague. It doesn't make sense to just have teams not face each other.

Yeah by the late 90's it was just too impractical to have 2 completely different leagues both operating at an equal level, intertwined in all aspects except they never played each other. The only thing keeping separate on the field was the tradition of never playing until the World Series and perpetuating tradition for tradition's sake, especially antiquated ones never made much sense to me. It made a little more sense when they were truly separate leagues. 

It had to happen eventually and just no longer made sense that there were all these teams within close proximity that had never played. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, KGeeX5 said:

Welp... 

So in one day, we've heard that Under Armour logos on MLB uniforms have been pushed up a year to 2019, and the new (dearly needed) LA Rams' uniforms have been pushed back a year to 2020.

Couldn't it have been the other way around?! ;) 

4 minutes ago, kroywen said:

So in one day, we've heard that Under Armour logos on MLB uniforms have been pushed up a year to 2019, and the new (dearly needed) LA Rams' uniforms have been pushed back a year to 2020.

Couldn't it have been the other way around?! ;) 

Why is the NFL so terrible... if its about the money you'd think new WANTED jerseys would sell 100x more then the abomination they have now 

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Try telling that to the players union.  Not a chance they remove the DH and not get something in return.

And this is the reason I don't like wide interleague play, and why I like the leagues having their own identities and style of play. 

Archived