MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

17 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

You know I find it great that we give our falen soldiers a holiday and honor them.

But I find it absurd to rob all 32 mlb teams of their team colors for 3 whole days for it, along with mothers/fathers day and 4th of july.

Only 30 teams. Also I believe the Blue Jays wore their normal colors today.

I also find the three day thing dumb.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

As usual, I find the people who are upset about fidget spinners to be exponentially more annoying than the mania supporting them.

Agreed, I found one while walking still in a box, so I took it home, its sorta like when I was a kid and liked spinning quarters or soda caps.

But spins more.

7 hours ago, DEAD! said:

I say the worst of Memorial Day uniforms is Texas ... if only because they had to recolour the Texas state flag.

I feel your pain...since last year, the MD flag in the O's rounded logo on the sleeve has been recolored for all the MLB-wide holidays

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Thought this was interesting; at least a couple of Cleveland players had the Stance Memorial Day socks cut to be makeshift stirrups. They're clearly not 2-in-1's as you can see Trusox underneath, and they're definitely just cut versions of the regular Stance socks as you can see the logo, the ankle cushioning, and some frayed edges where they were cut.

IMG_4594.JPG.b143cc49644523f9e83e3a18e398383a.JPGIMG_4593.JPG.440398a37c78a0ac86b1dda16e636eed.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:05 AM, Thomas said:

Thanks for the replys regarding the marlins roof ! 

So they very rarely have the roof open. Sound ludicrous to me for several reasons, why spend a ton of money on a retractable roof if you are not going to use it. And Tampa get flak for playing in a dome, well this is not much better.  No sunshine on the field makes it a dull looking game.

Sunshine and shadows makes the game seem more alive. And the rain showers are over pretty quick right ? I am sure these big leaguers can handle some water and sliding around a bit. Why does it have to be so sterile, the weather should a part of the game, like in football and soccer.

I hate the indoor look in the summer. I think we get enough of that in the winter time with hockey and basketball.

Five straight games with the roof open is a record:

On 5/28/2017 at 4:05 PM, upperV03 said:

Thought this was interesting; at least a couple of Cleveland players had the Stance Memorial Day socks cut to be makeshift stirrups. They're clearly not 2-in-1's as you can see Trusox underneath, and they're definitely just cut versions of the regular Stance socks as you can see the logo, the ankle cushioning, and some frayed edges where they were cut.

IMG_4594.JPG.b143cc49644523f9e83e3a18e398383a.JPGIMG_4593.JPG.440398a37c78a0ac86b1dda16e636eed.JPG

These guys get it. Thats great to see

On 5/28/2017 at 7:35 PM, daveindc said:

Five straight games with the roof open is a record:

Surprised they set that record in late May, as opposed to early April, but I do remember last year's weather in South Florida around Memorial Day to be absolutely perfect (I was down there on vacation at the time).

For the poster you were quoting, there is one other major benefit to having a retractable roof, even if you can't open it most games - it allows for a grass field to be grown. That's still virtually impossible to do in a fixed roof dome. But even if the roof had to be closed for all 81 games (which would be a shame, of course), I'd still say the retractable roof is worthwhile if for not other reason than allowing for a grass field.

The worst part about the nationals giants brawl is it was much harder to tell who was who because both teams were wearing the same hats and same colored numbers/scripts. 

It's really not necessary to wear special military themed uniforms for these holidays. Throw a patch on the side of the hat. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Some team really needs to adopt olive green and black as their colors. The reason for them was ridiculous (selling jerseys) but some of thise jerseys looked really nice.

One benefit is it allowed me to see what the Reds would look like without a drop shadow and I really like how their font looks with just a single outline. 

edit: photoshopped pic

duvvvall.png.5d77e848010f3ee9e5230aa0e9d52092.png

Ideally they would drop black and use a white oultline, but that would be a nice consolation. I just don't think the drop shadow is necessary or looks good. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Memorial Day caps all looked beautiful on their own, like I'd love to have one of my team, they were straight up cool. But the problem is the entire uniform looked horrible in execution. I had a hard time watching all the games this weekend because they don't look good in action on my TV. Most looked dark grey or even black and it was nasty dark and muddled look all over baseball. I made a comment about it out loud and my wife said "who cares how they look on TV, the caps are cool"... but the majority of fans have to see these things ON TV so how it looks on TV is important. 

Marlins are doing a fidget spinner promotion too. If fidget spinners bother you, you are either a teacher or way too preoccupied with fads. Understanding it's just a fad and will go away very soon is the way to deal with this this thing. Fads are part of life and to be honest this one seems to be the least annoying one in the longest time because the spinners themselves I must say seem kinda cool and they don't really bother as much as a bottle being flipped every two seconds or other more ridiculous nonsense. 

I'm a grumpy old man. So I hate special event uniforms for aesthetic and, more importantly, for financial reasons, especially when you're profiting off tragedy (Memorial Day, cancer, etc.). I refuse to believe MLB isn't making money off this, regardless of whatever semantic spin they want to attach to it.

I love fidget spinners. My daughter got one, and it's pretty cool.

Archived