MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 6/1/2017 at 3:11 PM, kroywen said:

I was actually just thinking that myself - I'd really like to see how that jersey would look on a modern template, with a button down jersey and sleeve piping. I tend to think it would look very good. 

I generally like the Mariners' overall current identity, but I think this could've wound up evolving into a great identity. I wish we got to see how it would've looked (and evolved) had the Mariners kept this basic template.

Take that Mariners pullover, replace the yellow with teal, and make it a button up. 

Easy. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/4/2017 at 7:00 AM, mmejia said:

Yeah, that predictive cover used an image of George Springer from that game. He was called up just s couple days before and had a great debut series against the Mariners. He was on the cover of SI just a few weeks later. 

IMG_7072.JPG

I donno why, but that uniform is one throwback that should be made permanent.

UBwef0L.png

12 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Scooter Gennett with a performance for the ages! Unfortunately he was wearing the Reds' camouflaged costumes tonight. 

I was thinking the same. And as bad as the jerseys are, the caps are actually worse. The jerseys are a desert like brown and tan design and the caps are a green color. Why?

At least the Padres camos are "well done" or as well done as possible. 

21 hours ago, Chawls said:

Take that Mariners pullover, replace the yellow with teal, and make it a button up. 

Easy. 

Ever since we saw (as a M's fan) our expansion cousins Toronto Blue Jays modernize their original look so well, I have been begging that the M's do the same. Now the way I'm picking and choosing may not happen, but I want to see us retain the NW green and navy, since that color scheme IS the Mariners. But I want to see a return to the trident, modernized the way the Jays did with their logo, and modernize the word marks, replacing yellow and blue with NW green and navy, almost mixing eras. I feel if that happened, then they would have a top-10 look in MLB. Maybe-hopefully- there is some steam for this since the new Spring Training caps have been so popular. Nearly every fan has bought one.

And this is one of the many reasons I hate these so-called 'special occasion' or camo uniforms.Any game might feature a historic performance, which means every time one of these goofy uniforms is worn, we're at risk of having it occur wearing a strange uniform that doesn't feature the team's colors or align with their identity.

I'll never forget when Derek Jeter broke the all-time Yankees' hit record. It was a significant occasion for the Yankees' franchise - a lifelong Yankee breaking Lou Gehrig's record for most hits for the most successful franchise in the entire sport. And rather than wearing the caps that are so iconic, they were wearing out-of-place red caps:

new-york-yankees-derek-jeter-breaks-lou-

One more reason to hate these gimmicks, IMO.

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

And this is one of the many reasons I hate these so-called 'special occasion' or camo uniforms.Any game might feature a historic performance, which means every time one of these goofy uniforms is worn, we're at risk of having it occur wearing a strange uniform that doesn't feature the team's colors or align with their identity.

I'll never forget when Derek Jeter broke the all-time Yankees' hit record. It was a significant occasion for the Yankees' franchise - a lifelong Yankee breaking Lou Gehrig's record for most hits for the most successful franchise in the entire sport. And rather than wearing the caps that are so iconic, they were wearing out-of-place red caps:

That's tragic. I forgot that happened. I'm with you 100%. After the excitement of the moment passed last night and I kept rewatching the highlights it occurred to me that he did it while wearing a silly camoflauge shirt instead of the team's actual uniform and it bummed me out a little. 

This is at least the second time the Reds have worn those jerseys and both were for "military appreciation night" and it's coming off Memorial Day weekend where they wore league-directed military inspired uniforms. You can appreciate the military while wearing your normal uniform. I'd argue it's more appreciative of the military to not dress the players up in baseball soldier costumes. 

I do wish someone would've thrown a perfect game in one of the turn ahead the clock games, cementing those goofy things forever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 6/5/2017 at 3:36 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I'd honestly always assumed those jackets were navy. You learn something new every day! 

I really like this. They could pretty much go exactly this route - black tomahawk with gold outlines and all - and call it a day.

Chicago Blackhawks of baseball ;)

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

That's tragic. I forgot that happened. I'm with you 100%. After the excitement of the moment passed last night and I kept rewatching the highlights it occurred to me that he did it while wearing a silly camoflauge shirt instead of the team's actual uniform and it bummed me out a little. 

This is at least the second time the Reds have worn those jerseys and both were for "military appreciation night" and it's coming off Memorial Day weekend where they wore league-directed military inspired uniforms. You can appreciate the military while wearing your normal uniform. I'd argue it's more appreciative of the military to not dress the players up in baseball soldier costumes. 

I do wish someone would've thrown a perfect game in one of the turn ahead the clock games, cementing those goofy things forever. 

I'm a big believer that the best way to tactfully honor the military, or those who died in the line of duty, is to wear a simple patch on the cap and/or sleeve in their honor. You can even switch up the design of the patch every year so as to sell caps and jerseys annually. I hate that merchandise sales are a motivating factor, but it's obviously a concern of MLB here. But tacky uniforms, especially playing military dress-up like a bunch of 5 year olds (or worse yet, like a bunch of backwoods hicks that think wearing camo is the pinnacle of cool), is not a respectful or dignified honor at all. 

And the commemorative caps on 9/11, of all days, really infuriates me.  Commemorate a horrific national tragedy with a special cap and jersey! I get that they're going for "patriotic 9/11 tribute," but it just reeks of "commemorative 9/11 caps" designed to sell more merchandise. Disgusting. (And FWIW, Jeter set the Yankee hit record on the anniversary of 9/11, making the presence of those red caps all the worse.)

On 6/6/2017 at 4:47 PM, johnnysama said:

I donno why, but that uniform is one throwback that should be made permanent.

Love the Astros' rainbows, but I'd pass on it being made permanent.

Now, if you'd like to make the 1965-74 Astros shooting star wordmark permanent, I'm all on board with that.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:07 AM, kroywen said:

Agreed, then they retired Jeter's number while wearing the ridiculous Mother's Day uniforms.  IMHO, MLB's really jumped the shark when it comes to these special uniforms.  Even the notorious cash grab that is the NFL doesn't allow the uniforms to be altered during their breast cancer awareness deal in October.  I can deal with pink/blue/whatever wristbands, bats, batting gloves, etc. but doing it to the uniforms to me crosses the line.  Don't even get me started on your point about 9/11 commemorative caps to sell more merchandise which I agree with you is abhorrent.

I guess Yogurt in Spaceballs was right when he said "It's all about the merchandising."

7 hours ago, cheo25 said:

Love the Astros' rainbows, but I'd pass on it being made permanent.

Now, if you'd like to make the 1965-74 Astros shooting star wordmark permanent, I'm all on board with that.

The Astros got it exactly right for one season:  1971 -- After the switch to orange and before the switch to sleeve stripes and elastic waistbands in 1972.

1971uni.gif

8 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

The Astros got it exactly right for one season:  1971 -- After the switch to orange and before the switch to sleeve stripes and elastic waistbands in 1972.

1971uni.gif

I didn't even know these existed. Awesome look...

25715367723_09b800b6b7_o.jpgImage result for 1971 astros

reminds me of this look that I'm dying to be revived by the Marlins...

Related imageImage result for marlins orange hat

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I didn't even know these existed. Awesome look...

25715367723_09b800b6b7_o.jpgImage result for 1971 astros

reminds me of this look that I'm dying to be revived by the Marlins...

Related imageImage result for marlins orange hat

you know, I understand not wanting to wear the orange caps. But it a shame that they arent wearing orange sleeves nor socks.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived