MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

10 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The Mets are the orange and blue team, then they added black in the late 90's.. The Marlins were the teal team (with black as a secondary), then a few years after the Mets went black, the Marlins had to out-black the Mets by going super black-heavy.. Now they've completely ditched their unique color of teal to be the other orange and blue team in the NL East, although still black-heavy, they've dumped their classic, iconic look (with a couple world championships associated with it), for this ridiculous, ugly, art-deco wannabe look with horrible logos and worse fonts.. The gaudy M with the awkwardly placed, poorly rendered, stylized Marlin silhouette thing is one of the worst logos in the Majors..

Well at least you sure do have a detailed explanation for your opinion. I can appreciate that. Not trying to be sarcastic either. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Ok so wait a minute... forgive me for trying to make sense of this but why is there 3 hr derby caps per team? I mean I know it's to make money because let's be honest these look pretty cool but when the Derby comes, which cap will the players be wearing? Will they have a choice? Will there be a mix of colors or will they have to make a uniform decision per league? Man this is confusing. With that said, some of these are pretty gorgeous. I only included 2 teams in this pic because i think to appreciate if you have to see the teams 3 caps together... 

1498610438242.thumb.jpg.9b107723ed5e6c217362284fb6b9cd51.jpg

Futures game maybe?

Reminds me of when the Padres last year wore a one year home jersey to commemorate the ASG and when the game came they didn't even get to wear that jersey because they were on the road team.

Didn't they create a special ASG jersey that was basically their home uniform but road grey?

I never liked the Astros' '90s jerseys. I wonder if orange instead of metallic gold, to give them continuity with their first 30ish years of team colors, would have made them better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Ok so wait a minute... forgive me for trying to make sense of this but why is there 3 hr derby caps per team? I mean I know it's to make money because let's be honest these look pretty cool but when the Derby comes, which cap will the players be wearing? Will they have a choice? Will there be a mix of colors or will they have to make a uniform decision per league? Man this is confusing. With that said, some of these are pretty gorgeous. I only included 2 teams in this pic because i think to appreciate if you have to see the teams 3 caps together... 

1498610438242.thumb.jpg.9b107723ed5e6c217362284fb6b9cd51.jpg

Players will wear black for the HRD, the other two colors are just customs. It should have been the orange and sea blue since the beginning and ditch the the black

On 6/20/2017 at 7:40 PM, WavePunter said:

Ah, I'm caught up now. 

I hate the new Marlins identity.. They're teal.. End of story.. Anything blue and orange is just a bad foray into misplaced art deco nonsense as far as I'm concerned.. The previous set had gotten away from its roots, but only needed tweaking.  The newer identity is a 2000's Mets wanna-be with bad fonts and logos

I always felt They should re-embrace the teal, maybe a darker greener teal with the orange. Has some precedent down here with the University of Miami. Anything but black already, bring some vibrance to the uniforms. 

4 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

I always felt They should re-embrace the teal, maybe a darker greener teal with the orange. Has some precedent down here with the University of Miami. Anything but black already, bring some vibrance to the uniforms. 

The blue they use seems to be some middle ground between royal and their old teal, but it's still just too blue imo.. Reverting back to teal instead of the current blue and dropping orange to accent/trim at most, and it would be an improvement.. Still bad, but not AS bad

So I walked into Dicks today and they had all the all star game gear. I was excited because I wanted to pick up all 3 colors of my team's derby caps but man I just couldn't do it because they honey comb mesh is an ugly eyesore and a huge turn off. Has anyone else noticed this in person? They're not just a different texture of stitching like the Diamond Era caps that are different but not such an eyesore. The diamond era caps are comparatively so subtle that from far a red cap is still a red cap. But these honey comb things take away from the appearance of the base color of the cap so when you see them they're not just blue or orange they've got dark and light tones of gray splattered all over the crown and they're so see through that you can see the colorful flower design of the interior sweatband and it just ruins it. It actually looks like a cheap gas station trucker cap. I love the Marlins shade of orange and blue and was gonna jump on these but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Shame.

And as for the all star game cap itself, my wife was with me, she saw them and she said Oooh I like this one! I said 'yeah? Those are the ones the players are gonna wear during the ASG' and she said "Wait the players are wearing these??? Eww forget it then, I liked them for me because it looks like a cap for girls." I said "what do you mean for girls?" She said "Yeah with the shiny gold color and the cute stars I thought it was for girls."

She's so right. The cap being not in team colors and having metallic gold trim and adorable stars absolutely make it look like a girls fashion cap that you find in the ladies section of your team store or at a place like Victoria's secret. Such a crap design for the players to actually have to wear. 

I'm ok with hr derby and warm-up/batting practice work out gear inspired by the host team and/or city's colors, designs, and logos but I'm not ok with the increasingly generic and bland colorless golden stars design that is now happening for the ASG. Bring back regular caps with the side patch please. 

2 hours ago, RichO said:

I'm going to go ahead and say no, little stars and a shiny squatchee are not even remotely gendered elements.

It's not that they are specifically gendered elements it's that they reminded her of these types of caps, which are meant for women... 1498681943237.thumb.jpg.0393d62cfec8e68a7a7c72f971323bb3.jpg

Guys guys guys guys guys, the Marlins should not re-embrace teal. They should embrace bright colors splashed on black. They're a few tweaks away from a modern classic.

For instance,

zehgmfr2aq7f3grh4uqjen7eh.gif

Look at that lovely shade of green they intended to use. Red-orange and creamsicle orange, too. Look at the sans-serif numbers. They had the right idea early on and then went astray. The idea of the Marlins transcending A Color Scheme as we think of it by putting everything in play and letting fans (and players?) express themselves within a full spectrum would have been really cool.

2 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

The Marlins did use the green:

20130313_ajw_sr6_176.0.jpg

and the red (can't find a very good picture but the walls on the 3rd base side are red to denote sections near the 3rd base parking garage.)

From what I remember, the seats are also colour coded. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

20 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

From what I remember, the seats are also colour coded. 

The seats are all blue, I think you mean the four quadrants of the ballpark, they are color coded. The first base line section of the ballpark is yellow, behind home plate is blue, third base line is red, and the outfield sections are green. 

Yeah, I know about the green and red around the park, I'm saying the uniforms should incorporate them as well. The M fish would look so cool with splashes of red and green.

The seats are all blue, I think you mean the four quadrants of the ballpark, they are color coded. The first base line section of the ballpark is yellow, behind home plate is blue, third base line is red, and the outfield sections are green. 

Flip the yellow and green and you could roughly correspond to how the M should be shaded: red left, yellow top, blue bottom, green right.

Digging this from my folder of failed concepts and tweaks, I really maintain that having five colors + silver and black would make the Marlins unique in a delightful way. I really like that shade of green and how it could be used on merchandise and so forth.

z72CcXK.jpg

xLKSC1f.jpg

The way all the colors play against each other in the wordmark is certainly unorthodox, but eye-catching. I would want Miami to look like a team that could only be in Miami, not the Tuna Yankees.

Archived