MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

Sorry I can't dig that on the logos and uniforms, it's too wide of a color spectrum and would further the already exaggerated claim that their logo is a rainbow.

With that said, maybe you'd be glad to hear that the team does use your "use more colors" theme when it comes to their merchandise. If you check out their team stores they have merchandise in their main colors as well as in yellow and that green. The logos and uniforms maintain their set colors but they do sell plenty of merch with the logos on other colors as well.

1498735456078.thumb.jpg.b300953ef3f4c123ca3ebaf2c9c00d1d.jpg

Question for you, have you seen some of the failed original concepts the Marlins went through before settling on their logos? Several of the failed ones had more colors as you are wishing for.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, monkeypower said:

So according to Chris, the Angels have officially and quietly dropped "of Anaheim" prior to the 2016 season.

I doubt this makes any big changes, they'll probably still just be "Angels Baseball" or just "Angels" for the most part.

Yeah, even Wikipedia had figured this one out.  'Bout time. 

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Digging this from my folder of failed concepts and tweaks, I really maintain that having five colors + silver and black would make the Marlins unique in a delightful way. I really like that shade of green and how it could be used on merchandise and so forth.

z72CcXK.jpg

xLKSC1f.jpg

The way all the colors play against each other in the wordmark is certainly unorthodox, but eye-catching. I would want Miami to look like a team that could only be in Miami, not the Tuna Yankees.

I kinda like it, but it also makes me want to play UNO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Guys guys guys guys guys, the Marlins should not re-embrace teal. They should embrace bright colors splashed on black. They're a few tweaks away from a modern classic.

For instance,

zehgmfr2aq7f3grh4uqjen7eh.gif

Look at that lovely shade of green they intended to use. Red-orange and creamsicle orange, too. Look at the sans-serif numbers. They had the right idea early on and then went astray. The idea of the Marlins transcending A Color Scheme as we think of it by putting everything in play and letting fans (and players?) express themselves within a full spectrum would have been really cool.

That lovely shade of regular kelly green? And I'm not seeing any creamsicle orange here.. Honestly just looks like red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.. Add some indigo and violet, and you've got yourself a quality rainbow, not a professional sports organization color scheme

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, they could absolutely make the rainbow work.  Was with you right up until that last line. 

For other reasons, I agree that they could make it work, but still doesn't fit right for either the "Marlins" nickname nor the "Miami" theme imo.. And honestly, I feel that colors, logos, uniforms, and identity should reflect the nickname more so than the city.. The ocean-y/fishy feel of the teal and silver fit the nickname "Marlins" so well.. It was perfect until they got so black-heavy.. The new stuff is slightly more "Miami" appropriate but still not a full commitment to a Miami-themed identity (evidenced by the fact that it's similar to VERY dissimilar locations, such as OKC Thunder), while moving away from the Marlins-themed identity.. Now it's just a random middle ground that doesn't do a good job of reflecting either.. As much as I prefer a nickname-based identity, I can at least appreciate a city-based identity if it fully commits and does a good job of reflecting that city and ONLY that city.. 

Several concepts on here have gone very much to the Miami-themed side of things, and done so infinitely better than the organization did.. However, a strong commitment to embracing the Marlins theme would fit the team (and its history of success) better..

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Question for you, have you seen some of the failed original concepts the Marlins went through before settling on their logos? Several of the failed ones had more colors as you are wishing for.

I sure have, and I liked some of them, but I think the one they decided on was the best. It just needs all five colors (no purple, because purple should belong entirely to the Rockies and by not having all six colors on the pride flag, dumb people can't call you gay).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

See, that's where I must disagree. 

I guess we can agree to disagree.. The wordmark font is probably the closest thing to something that screams "MIAMI", and it's still a stretch.. The "art deco" logo is nothing more than a poorly rendered silhouette imo.. It's a stretch at best.. My biggest issue is that of the two acceptable options, they went with the less desirable option (reflecting city instead of nickname), and didn't even do that well..

16 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I guess we can agree to disagree.. The wordmark font is probably the closest thing to something that screams "MIAMI", and it's still a stretch.. The "art deco" logo is nothing more than a poorly rendered silhouette imo.. It's a stretch at best.. My biggest issue is that of the two acceptable options, they went with the less desirable option (reflecting city instead of nickname), and didn't even do that well..

They chose to reflect the city as a marketing move because they literally moved into Miami after actually being in Miami Gardens prior. Also no longer being the only Florida team they wanted to embrace the city of Miami as their home moreso than including the entire state. 

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

They chose to reflect the city as a marketing move because they literally moved into Miami after actually being in Miami Gardens prior. Also no longer being the only Florida team they wanted to embrace the city of Miami as their home moreso than including the entire state. 

I think changing the name to Miami was also part of the stadium deal.

53 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think changing the name to Miami was also part of the stadium deal.

Yes this is correct also but the decision to make the uniforms and logos focus on the city was all on the team, the stadium deal only said the name had to change not the uniforms. 

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Personally, of the four major teams in Miami (and you can throw the Hurricanes in there as a fifth), the Marlins have far-and-away the most identifiably 'Miami' brand of any of them. The wordmark does evoke Miami architecture, the bright array of colors screams Miami, and it holds especially true when they're paired together. That wordmark could fit very well in some other cities - namely, NYC and LA, maybe Chicago - but paired with that color scheme? It's Miami all the way.

I just wish they would emphasize the gorgeous and unique shade of blue (which also pairs so well with both their orange and yellow), rather than being so black-heavy. Using black as a backdrop to an array of bright colors is smart! (And very Miami as well.) But making it their primary color? It's a missed opportunity.

There's a lot of work to be done on the Marlins' identity. The poorly rendered silhouette fish needs to go bye-bye, the numbers need to use the same font as the wordmark, blue, orange, and yellow need to be emphasized over black, and I also wish they'd get rid of the unnecessary grey outline around the wordmark that just weighs everything down. The Marlins' identity is a truly great idea that's executed in a subpar fashion. But the foundational building blocks for a great identity (that fits Miami like a glove) are absolutely there.

On 6/29/2017 at 0:52 AM, the admiral said:

Digging this from my folder of failed concepts and tweaks, I really maintain that having five colors + silver and black would make the Marlins unique in a delightful way. I really like that shade of green and how it could be used on merchandise and so forth.

z72CcXK.jpg

xLKSC1f.jpg

The way all the colors play against each other in the wordmark is certainly unorthodox, but eye-catching. I would want Miami to look like a team that could only be in Miami, not the Tuna Yankees.

I've done a similar concept in the past, too:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

Personally, of the four major teams in Miami (and you can throw the Hurricanes in there as a fifth), the Marlins have far-and-away the most identifiably 'Miami' brand of any of them. The wordmark does evoke Miami architecture, the bright array of colors screams Miami, and it holds especially true when they're paired together. That wordmark could fit very well in some other cities - namely, NYC and LA, maybe Chicago - but paired with that color scheme? It's Miami all the way.

A team in San Diego could use the Marlins' color scheme pretty easily, maybe with a softer orange and no yellow.  The Gulls are almost there, and the San Diego Clippers are a nostalgic favorite.

Edit: It does fit Miami better, after more thought.

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I've done a similar concept in the past, too:

Yeah, I think we both had the same idea (alternates in every color, sans-serif numerals) and we both got yelled at for it. The Concepts folder consensus is to keep the new logo but recolor it in teal and black that don't suit it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

A team in San Diego could use the Marlins' color scheme pretty easily, maybe with a softer orange and no yellow.  The Gulls are almost there, and the San Diego Clippers are a nostalgic favorite.

Edit: It does fit Miami better, after more thought.

It could work, with some modifications, in San Diego as well, though I'd agree it works better for Miami than SD. Not surprising that two cities known for being right on the ocean, with miles of famous beaches and large, diverse foreign-born populations would tend to 'fit' the same style color scheme though.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, I think we both had the same idea (alternates in every color, sans-serif numerals) and we both got yelled at for it. The Concepts folder consensus is to keep the new logo but recolor it in teal and black that don't suit it.

My idea was to go Eagles' midnight green/deep pink/light blue. If any team can get away with feckin' pink in their color scheme, it's the Marlins.

I like the "rainbow + black" idea too. I never got the appeal of teal/black/silver, as it's way too early-1990's for my taste. Not every team can be like the Hornicats and find a way to make a 1990's color scheme look contemporary.

4 hours ago, kroywen said:

There's a lot of work to be done on the Marlins' identity. The poorly rendered silhouette fish needs to go bye-bye, the numbers need to use the same font as the wordmark, blue, orange, and yellow need to be emphasized over black, and I also wish they'd get rid of the unnecessary grey outline around the wordmark that just weighs everything down. The Marlins' identity is a truly great idea that's executed in a subpar fashion. But the foundational building blocks for a great identity (that fits Miami like a glove) are absolutely there.

But how would the team present a Marlin in their logo set? I'd go for something like the SB Nation logo, or some Art Deco-influenced depiction of a marlin.

large_fishstripes.com.minimal.png

12 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

When I say "reflect", I mean in terms of imagery and identity.. Not which name is on the jersey.. The theme of the identity is fonts that don't scream "Miami" and a poorly executed, forced, art deco concept that wasn't really committed to anyway.. They can be the Miami Marlins with a Marlin theme

Archived