MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GFB said:

The only font close to the Miami one is the Central Park Conservancy

Interesting, because the wacko sign is essentially the same font the Marlins use, which would then suggest the Miami Beach sign isn't close to the Marlins..

You might not think the Marlins' font reads as "Miami", but it sure does to some of us.  

That doesnt have to mean Miami has some monopoly on sans-serif fonts, or Art Deco.   Only that they chose the font well. 

I have a lot of problems wth the Marlins' current set.  But their word mark font isn't among them. It's a great choice.

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I was saying that a fairly standard geometric sans serif font isn't exclusive to Miami..

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

And I can find plenty of examples of it all over miami, you saying it being used in other places doesn't mean it can't be connected to miami

IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You might not think the Marlins' font reads as "Miami", but it sure does to some of us.  

That doesnt have to mean Miami has some monopoly on sans-serif fonts, or Art Deco.   Only that they chose the font well. 

I have a lot of problems wth the Marlins' current set.  But their word mark font isn't among them. It's a great choice.

I don't disagree entirely with that.. In a vacuum, you're right.. My issue is that the entire identity it's sort of tied up in the wordmark font.. And again, the entire identity is focused around the city, and completely neglects the nickname.. Also, the colors and fonts don't go far enough to "miami" for me to feel like they did a good job committing to the Miami identity.. As I previously stated, their color scheme is very similar to the OKC Thunder, which is not a very similar location.. 

Concepts like this one scream "MIAMI" much more thoroughly imo.. Not that I would want the Marlins to go this route, but I'd feel as though it's a better representation of Miami..

I think a modernized version of their initial identity would be ideal.

IMG_0498.JPG

21 minutes ago, dont care said:

And I can find plenty of examples of it all over miami, you saying it being used in other places doesn't mean it can't be connected to miami

IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

And just because you can find examples of it in Miami doesn't mean it evokes the feelings, history, and culture of Miami (even though you provided plenty of examples that aren't really that close).. It always felt more fitting for New York to me, but too Bush league.. My point with showing examples from across the country was simply to illustrate how it could be associated with a number of places other than Miami as well, which sort of weakens its use as an identifier for Miami

4 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

And just because you can find examples of it in Miami doesn't mean it evokes the feelings, history, and culture of Miami (even though you provided plenty of examples that aren't really that close).. It always felt more fitting for New York to me, but too Bush league.. My point with showing examples from across the country was simply to illustrate how it could be associated with a number of places other than Miami as well, which sort of weakens its use as an identifier for Miami

No, it really doesn't.  Miami doesn't have a monopoly on the font, but that doesn't in any way mean they aren't strongly associated with it.

The Braves might look weird to some of y'all since it has the SunTrust Park inaugural season patch. Kinda odd on the road. I heard a rumor it might have been due to packing for multiple series out west. Either way, I'm a fan and this should be the Braves main look like it used to be. It's all that I knew growing up.

If it were my choice, I'd keep the all blue cap and use it with the blue jersey, and occasionally wear it with the gray set...perhaps one game each series, or less (depending on how often the blue jersey is worn).

The Cardinals wore their navy caps for their series in Arizona despite the fact that the DBacks rarely wear their red caps. I know, I know, going back to the navy caps full time is an unpopular opinion. 

IMG_2586.JPG

The Cards are another team who looks great on the road wearing either cap. Both are so good that I don't really want them to make a decision. They are each so traditional. I'm cool with them alternating depending on the opposition's colors.

aamo189.jpg

b4bee0b5a298f415a66698999774061a.jpg

Additional note to the Braves cap: they paired it with the normal road batting helmet. Must have packed just one set of lids. I'm curious (and hopeful) that Atlanta will continue to use the traditional cap more on the road.

Archived