MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the All-Star Selection Show.   Tito on with what looks like a modernized red version of the old curly C.   It looks a but too slight to me, but where'd he pull that out of?

Speaking on slighter logos, I gotta get a closer look when I get home from vacation, but from what clips I saw of the simplified Stars and Stripes uniforms, I really liked how the Rangers' and Reds' names looked without the extra outline.   Simple.   Clean.   Not bad.

spacer.png

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

Instead of wearing one striped sock and one blue sock with stars, A's Rajai Davis has decided to wear two of the blue/stars socks 

2dPvGPU.jpg

Good. The one striped sock, one navy sock thing looks tacky.

Teams with red lettering should have had just the red-white striped socks and teams with blue lettering should have just had the navy socks with the stars.

YVRMUBj.png

16 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Watching the All-Star Selection Show.   Tito on with what looks like a modernized red version of the old curly C.   It looks a but too slight to me, but where'd he pull that out of?

Speaking on slighter logos, I gotta get a closer look when I get home from vacation, but from what clips I saw of the simplified Stars and Stripes uniforms, I really liked how the Rangers' and Reds' names looked without the extra outline.   Simple.   Clean.   Not bad.

Was it this one?  The Cleveland Buckeyes throwback from yesterday?

ff_2769692_full.jpg&w=600

I'm all for the Braves going back to red bills on the road. It's one of those things where I knew the red bills looked better but I've gotten so used to the all navy cap or at least it just doesn't bother me as much that I stopped worrying about it but seeing the Braves wear the red bills this week flooded all of my mid to late 90s braves memories back and holy hell I want those red bills back on the road asap now. 

13 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

And I just found my preferred replacement for Wahoo. That is a gorgeous logo and would be a wonderful living tribute to the Negro Leagues, especially their history in Cleveland.

40 minutes ago, kroywen said:

And I just found my preferred replacement for Wahoo. That is a gorgeous logo and would be a wonderful living tribute to the Negro Leagues, especially their history in Cleveland.

I love the version of it with a little loop at the top of the C…

negro-league-1948-cleveland-buckeyes-59f

But yeah, I love that “C” logo and think it should be the centerpiece of any future Indians branding — I own a 1935 fauxback (Tribe didn’t wear red-billed caps until 1945) that uses the same logo. It’s beautiful, has precedent (in design) with both the Indians and Buckeyes, and actually evokes a true traditional look for a club that is, well, 116 years old.

Really, the contrasting pants pockets aside, the Buckeyes jerseys the Indians have worn this year would be a great jumping-off point for a new identity. Those things are drop-dead gorgeous, and the best jerseys the club’s worn this season.

Cleveland+Indians+v+Detroit+Tigers+5PbOp

6fQjS3M.png

39 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

But yeah, I love that “C” logo and think it should be the centerpiece of any future Indians branding — I own a 1935 fauxback (Tribe didn’t wear red-billed caps until 1945) that uses the same logo. It’s beautiful, has precedent (in design) with both the Indians and Buckeyes, and actually evokes a true traditional look for a club that is, well, 116 years old.

Really, the contrasting pants pockets aside, the Buckeyes jerseys the Indians have worn this year would be a great jumping-off point for a new identity. Those things are drop-dead gorgeous, and the best jerseys the club’s worn this season.

(pic from quoted post)

That wouldn't be a bad starting place for a new identity. Sure, I'd rather red be the main color instead of navy (because differentiation from the Twins is more important than differentiation from the Angels), but it's a logo that carries historical weight and looks beautiful! Heck, it could even support outlines and the addition of feathers.

It's a million times better than the ugly "Caveman/Primitive Cultures" C that gets trotted out by members here (a logo second only to the "star trident" and the "maple leaf" as one of the worst cap logos in baseball history).

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

That wouldn't be a bad starting place for a new identity. Sure, I'd rather red be the main color instead of navy (because differentiation from the Twins is more important than differentiation from the Angels), but it's a logo that carries historical weight and looks beautiful! Heck, it could even support outlines and the addition of feathers.

Why should the Indians, a charter member of the American League, change their primary color because of a team founded 60 years later? Hell, in their 57 seasons, the Twins have worn a red home cap nearly twice as often (11 seasons) as the Indians have in 117 (6 seasons).

(sorry, I’ve seen a lot of people advocate color changes over the years for the Indians, often because of a need to differentiate themselves from the Twins)

6fQjS3M.png

16 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Instead of wearing one striped sock and one blue sock with stars, A's Rajai Davis has decided to wear two of the blue/stars socks 

2dPvGPU.jpg

Yeah.   That jives with the general A's aesthetic.   Just kinda doing whatever.

15 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yup.   That's exactly it.   Seriously, there were a lot of non-Stars and Stripes alts this weekend.

14 hours ago, schtee said:

Word up, that Cleveland Buckeyes hat needs to replace the -yawn- block "C" hat ASAP. 

Strong historical precedent for a curly "C" as well, they wore it in the 20s and 30s:

IMG_0690.JPG

It's not a bad logo, but I think there are two problems with it.   The version they wore Sunday feels a bit too thin to me.   The other issue is the same issue there is with the Block C (besides how boring it is).  Red doesn't look good directly on navy.   It's not enough contrast.   The older versions that have been shown are all white.   Whether a white outline or just a white logo would look better, I don't know.

14 hours ago, Shumway said:

Yunel Escobar wore the stars & stripes socks as sleeves today...

I... Don't hate the look.
1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

Cleveland+Indians+v+Detroit+Tigers+5PbOp

It's a good look.   And I say that because it's one of my favorite looks in the majors, the Atlanta Braves.

19 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Why should the Indians, a charter member of the American League, change their primary color because of a team founded 60 years later? Hell, in their 57 seasons, the Twins have worn a red home cap nearly twice as often (11 seasons) as the Indians have in 117 (6 seasons).

(sorry, I’ve seen a lot of people advocate color changes over the years for the Indians, often because of a need to differentiate themselves from the Twins)

I agree, but more for the fact that the two look different enough.   Different logo colors, different wordmark logos, etc.

Also, the Twins color scheme isn't exactly post-expansion.   It's what they wore since they were established in 1901 alongside the Indians.   They kept their Washington Senators scheme.

spacer.png

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Because it looks really good (minus Wahoo and the wishbone-C, of course)!

219b5a6b7b19dc70a0a3153bd61917d6.jpg

Heck, red has basically been (and has recently returned) as the dominant color of the home uniforms.

Thome1.jpg 01e43db94c78ed9c9828df68d96ac9bc.jpg

Just carry this color distribution over to the road uniforms (think the road uniforms of the 1992-2012 St. Louis Cardinals), and they'd be different enough from the Twins. A red cap wouldn't be necessary, but it'd be a good alternate.

20 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Because it looks really good (minus Wahoo and the wishbone-C, of course)!

219b5a6b7b19dc70a0a3153bd61917d6.jpg

Heck, red has basically been (and has recently returned) as the dominant color of the home uniforms.

Thome1.jpg 01e43db94c78ed9c9828df68d96ac9bc.jpg

Just carry this color distribution over to the road uniforms (think the road uniforms of the 1992-2012 St. Louis Cardinals), and they'd be different enough from the Twins. A red cap wouldn't be necessary, but it'd be a good alternate.

The Indians and Reds looking the same would probably be a bigger deal than the Indians and Twins looking the same.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Indians and Reds looking the same would probably be a bigger deal than the Indians and Twins looking the same.  

The Indians only play the Reds a couple of times a year, and I don't think the Ohio Cup is nearly as contentious as the "Freeway Series" or "Subway Series" (correct me if I'm wrong).  Compare that to nearly 20 games against the Twins. Besides, with a navy/red-billed cap and cursive scripts, they'd be different enough.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Indians only play the Reds a couple of times a year. Compare that to nearly 20 games against the Twins. Besides, with a navy/red-billed cap and cursive scripts, they'd be different enough.

But Cleveland fans don't want their team looking like Cincinnati.  I wouldn't mind Cleveland in a navy/red hat for home and road, as that's pretty much what they wore pre-1994.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived