TVIXX

MLB Changes 2017

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

But Cleveland fans don't want their team looking like Cincinnati.  I wouldn't mind Cleveland in a navy/red hat for home and road, as that's pretty much what they wore pre-1994.

 

My suggestion would be to pair that navy/red hat with red undershirts, belts, socks, and shoes on both the home and road uniforms. The red cap wouldn't be necessary, but it'd be a solid alternate look.

 

With the navy/red hat and red undershirts, belts, socks, and shoes on both home and road uniforms, they can throw back to the 1995-2001 glory days, look different from the Twins, Angels, and Reds, and keep within the "visual continuity" of the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Instead of wearing one striped sock and one blue sock with stars, A's Rajai Davis has decided to wear two of the blue/stars socks 

2dPvGPU.jpg

 

Rajai and Rosales both went with two - stars socks.

Doolittle had two - striped socks on.

Manaea, Davis, Brugman were some of ones that went with the 1 stars and 1 stripes set. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the Nats switch to the stars and stripes W this season?

So what is this

ff_2857338alt2_full.jpg&w=600

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Surf said:

Didn't the Nats switch to the stars and stripes W this season?

So what is this

ff_2857338alt2_full.jpg&w=600

 

The jersey with the Stars and Stripes W is just a new home alternate. The regular home jersey still looks like the one you posted, except obviously without the ASG patches.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/12/10/nats-show-off-new-patriotic-uniform-for-2017/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Surf said:

Didn't the Nats switch to the stars and stripes W this season?

So what is this

ff_2857338alt2_full.jpg&w=600

 

 

Their primary home uniform for the all star game? The star and stripes isnt the official primary...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, thanks for the info, so they got a grey, a blue, a red, and 2 white jerseys?

That is a lot imo :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Surf said:

Okay, thanks for the info, so they got a grey, a blue, a red, and 2 white jerseys?

That is a lot imo :wacko:

 

All for that $$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KGeeX5 said:

 

All for that $$$

I guess so

 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:
21 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I love the version of it with a little loop at the top of the C…

 

negro-league-1948-cleveland-buckeyes-59f

 

 

But yeah, I love that “C” logo and think it should be the centerpiece of any future Indians branding — I own a 1935 fauxback (Tribe didn’t wear red-billed caps until 1945) that uses the same logo. It’s beautiful, has precedent (in design) with both the Indians and Buckeyes, and actually evokes a true traditional look for a club that is, well, 116 years old.

 

 

It's a million times better than the ugly "Caveman/Primitive Cultures" C that gets trotted out by members here (a logo second only to the "star trident" and the "maple leaf" as one of the worst cap logos in baseball history).

 

 

The best option will always be the angular C.

 

58535a_lg.thumb.jpeg.14cdcd748007ae96cf3076fc1db6572e.jpeg

 

This is the most aesthetically pleasing logo the team has ever had, and would be one of the most recognisable marks anywhere had it been kept.

 

More important, this logo succeeds in the very difficult task of invoking something from Native traditions -- namely, woodcarving -- without being offensive or dehumanising.  If the Indians had kept this cap logo since it was introduced, the team would be held up as the model of handling a Native-inspired name with respect.

 

But that Buckeyes-style C is also very good, as it, too, has a history with the team. That sort of monogram is in the universal baseball style that works well with any uniform.  The Red Sox, the Brooklyn Dodgers, the New York Giants and later Mets, the Kansas City A's, the Los Angeles Angels, and probably other teams have used a cap logo in this dignified style.

 

Also, seeing the version with the loop in the top reminds me how fitting the late-1980s White Sox cap would be for the Indians.

 

6e9a4d4d0903d9e5df83b5c1ad4adf19.jpg.1f15c90cca8861cf7a66398b16567e9d.jpg

 

If the White Sox had never worn this, it would be a great Cleveland hat.  Indeed, it would be good even despite its having been briefly used by the Sox!   This is better than the script I cap for two reasons: the cap initial for Cleveland should represent the city, not the nickname; and the initial on the I cap looks a lot more like a J than like an I.

 

The main point is that all of these designs beat the utterly characterless block C, which would rank near the bottom in the World Baseball Classic or even in a beer league, and is a total embarrassment for a Major League team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland-Indians-59Fifty-Authentic-Fitt

 

 

 

This, to me, is the best logo for Cleveland. It's a classic, clean, strong look that's also unique in MLB and has already become popular among the fans. There's no need to "spice it up". We might as well change the Cubs' C and Reds' C with that mentality.

 

 

 

s-l1000.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, daveindc said:

 

s-l1000.jpg

 

That one jersey in the front row with the serifed C really sticks out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

 

6e9a4d4d0903d9e5df83b5c1ad4adf19.jpg.1f15c90cca8861cf7a66398b16567e9d.jpg

 

If the White Sox had never worn this, it would be a great Cleveland hat.  Indeed, it would be good even despite its having been briefly used by the Sox!   This is better than the script I cap for two reasons: the cap initial for Cleveland should represent the city, not the nickname; and the initial on the I cap looks a lot more like a J than like an I.

 

One can make the argument that it looks more like an e than a C.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

 

One can make the argument that it looks more like an e than a C.  

I always thought so, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daveindc said:

Cleveland-Indians-59Fifty-Authentic-Fitt

 

This, to me, is the best logo for Cleveland. It's a classic, clean, strong look that's also unique in MLB and has already become popular among the fans. There's no need to "spice it up". We might as well change the Cubs' C and Reds' C with that mentality.

 

The Cubs have a white outline and the Reds have a white logo.  Both provide adequate contrast.  This does not.  Those are also more visually distinct and interesting designs.  Those don't look like they could be a part of a standard Word font set.  This does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

The Cubs have a white outline and the Reds have a white logo.  Both provide adequate contrast.  This does not.  Those are also more visually distinct and interesting designs.  Those don't look like they could be a part of a standard Word font set.  This does.

At the very least, like Wahoo and previous logos, add the white outline. 

 

And a red home bill, as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DiePerske said:

At the very least, like Wahoo and previous logos, add the white outline. 

 

And a red home bill, as well. 

 

Yeah.  Was going to edit my post, but decided to let conversation continue first and see what the response was.  Most people I've noticed decrying the block C admit that it does look a hundred times more attractive with an outline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Yeah.  Was going to edit my post, but decided to let conversation continue first and see what the response was.  Most people I've noticed decrying the block C admit that it does look a hundred times more attractive with an outline.

Although 100x better than 0 is still 0.. I double checked the math on that.. It's correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland uses a bright enough red that it provides adequate contrast:

 

IMG_2531.thumb.JPG.68214ff59d1f7e2dc684247ae99c365b.JPG

 

Also, there are enough red on white on navy hats in the baseball world. This is something that belongs to Cleveland.

 

Now if you want to argue that they need to add a red bill, then I'm listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2017 at 2:01 PM, upperV03 said:

The jersey with the Stars and Stripes W is just a new home alternate. The regular home jersey still looks like the one you posted, except obviously without the ASG patches.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/12/10/nats-show-off-new-patriotic-uniform-for-2017/

 

The Nats really screwed up their brand. The curly-W overload is oh so generic, especially when the only kind of "alternate" they can come up with is basically a hard to see US flag-themed design. Bring it all back! The interlocking DC! The monumental aesthetic! The gold! The beautiful logo!

 5630172128_fa46a7245e_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.   The only thing wrong with their initial look was not wearing the intended sans-serif block W cap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.