MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

I am all-in-favor of the Marlins using the blue as their primary color, with orange and black (in that order) as secondary colors. You could substitute out black in favor of gray and it might work as well.

I made a quick MS Paint mockup of what the current Marlins logo could look like on a blue cap, using the blue/orange/black color scheme. I'd prefer a modified logo without the fish, or perhaps a better defined fish, but I think this would be a significant upgrade over what they currently wear:

marlins_logo1.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I am all-in-favor of the Marlins using the blue as their primary color, with orange and black (in that order) as secondary colors. You could substitute out black in favor of gray and it might work as well.

I made a quick MS Paint mockup of what the current Marlins logo could look like on a blue cap, using the blue/orange/black color scheme. I'd prefer a modified logo without the fish, or perhaps a better defined fish, but I think this would be a significant upgrade over what they currently wear:

marlins_logo1.png

26393205840_bf71a9d9d3.jpg

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The whole 1983-93 Giants identity is one of my least favorite in all of sports, for both aesthetic and for team-based reasons. Going for a curve-heavy font engendered some pretty bland/generic wordmarks and logos. When looking at the Giants' visual history, the font felt so "wrong" compared to the other fonts from team history.

8578-2Fr.jpg will_clark_giants80s_road.jpg

That home wordmark was the worst, but I think the interlocking SF on the greys is far superior to any of the San Francisco wordmarks.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm generally not a fan of chest logos on road uniforms. It looked pretty good on the Padres' one-off road uniform for last year's ASG, but I can't think of one instance of a chest logo on a road uniform that I liked more than a traditional wordmark. The Padres are the closest it's ever come.

The Giants' "San Francisco" road wordmark is one of the more underrated in all of baseball. It's very attractive in its simplicity and balance.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm generally not a fan of chest logos on road uniforms. It looked pretty good on the Padres' one-off road uniform for last year's ASG, but I can't think of one instance of a chest logo on a road uniform that I liked more than a traditional wordmark. The Padres are the closest it's ever come.

The Giants' "San Francisco" road wordmark is one of the more underrated in all of baseball. It's very attractive in its simplicity and balance.

I'm with you. I prefer the name be spelled out on roads in every case. Road wordmarks, more often than not, tend to be my favorite ones. In a weird way, I almost feel kind of cheated if a team wears a logo on the chest of a road uniform because unless their city/state name has a gazillion letters, I'm sure they could come up with a good road wordmark of some sort instead.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

7 hours ago, Bmac said:

I always liked this one:

95904a_lg.thumb.jpeg.92ae8faa745f1c18d81cbc78a8115dae.jpeg

Might be one of my least favorite gray uniforms ever. I'm not a fan of road pinstripes (glad the Rockies and Twins ditched them), not a fan of chest logos on a road uniform, and can't say I was ever a fan of the brown and orange color scheme for the Padres (I much prefer brown and gold). The brown and orange also don't mesh well with the gray backdrop, IMO.

Also, is it me, or are those pinstripes spaced very widely? It's probably the same spacing as the Cubs' pinstripes, but they look very spaced out to me.

13 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Might be one of my least favorite gray uniforms ever. I'm not a fan of road pinstripes (glad the Rockies and Twins ditched them), not a fan of chest logos on a road uniform, and can't say I was ever a fan of the brown and orange color scheme for the Padres (I much prefer brown and gold). The brown and orange also don't mesh well with the gray backdrop, IMO.

Also, is it me, or are those pinstripes spaced very widely? It's probably the same spacing as the Cubs' pinstripes, but they look very spaced out to me.

I beg to differ.  Change the orange trim to yellow and you have a great uniform.

I love pinstripes, the color brown, and interlocking letters.  It has everything. ?

I wish the Mets had a similar road uniform (blue pinstripes on grey and the interlocking NY on the chest).

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I like it because of the orange.  I think the orange/brown scheme looks really, really nice on the gray jersey (and in general).  I'm also a fan of chest logos.  I'm with you on the road pinstripes and I don't think this jersey was going to make it too long even if the Padres had kept the color scheme.  But I'd take this back in a heartbeat over any other color scheme they've had.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The whole 1983-93 Giants identity is one of my least favorite in all of sports, for both aesthetic and for team-based reasons. Going for a curve-heavy font engendered some pretty bland/generic wordmarks and logos. When looking at the Giants' visual history, the font felt so "wrong" compared to the other fonts from team history.

8578-2Fr.jpg will_clark_giants80s_road.jpg

...and that atrocious number font (that somehow survived to 1994-99):

williams_matt_giants_asce1nrs_rodxz1iv.jpg

11 hours ago, Mitch B said:
19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That home wordmark was the worst, but I think the interlocking SF on the greys is far superior to any of the San Francisco wordmarks.

I agree with @SFGiants58 that the home wordmark and the number font were terrible, both on their own merits and as representations of that particular team.

But I agree with @Mitch B that the road uniform looked good (from the front).  (I think the quoting got messed up; presumably that quote is from Mitch, not from SFGiants58.)

11 hours ago, kroywen said:

The Giants have pulled it off before, such as in 1916:

Image result for 1916 new york giants

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

38 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Did those Padres away grays have a tan tint to them? I'm not sure if it's just my eyes. I really liked them!

I remember thinking that they Padres road grays were a bit darker...but I was never sure whether the brown and/or pinstripes were playing tricks on me.  I also thought of the Twins road as being a bit darker gray...so maybe the pinstripes were throwing me...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

Weren't the Indians supposed to be wearing the red caps with the blue alts this year? Watching Sunday Night Baseball and it's the same combo as last year.

That was the plan announced before the season, yes. The way it has played out, though, I think Danny Salazar is the only starting pitcher who has chosen that combo, and he has been out of the rotation/injured for much of the year.

4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Call me crazy, but that script could be slightly modded to work with the current road uniform set in double blue.

Totally.  I really dig that wordmark overall.

I'd mentioned earlier that I don't like the M at all in that Marlins concept.  It looks good as part of a wordmark, but with the Marlin, and especially on the cap, it has way too much negative space in the middle.  Their recoloring of the old marlin is beautiful, though, so I decided to take a look at how it would look with the current M.  Couldn't decide whether the head or the tail looked better in the front, so I made both.  I think it looks rather stunning.

JtbOQPR.png

So, I did kinda dig the tail out version a bit more, and mocked up a bunch of different possibilities for this logo on a cap, including the old color combination, teal and orange, and teal and blue and orange.

3u9PnxG.png

EDIT: Just wanted to make sure I noted that the gray used here is lighter than the style guide's silver, but I went lighter to emulate how their silver stitching looks under light, as it has a sheen that's not represented by the incredibly dark gray.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I'd mentioned earlier that I don't like the M at all in that Marlins concept.  It looks good as part of a wordmark, but with the Marlin, and especially on the cap, it has way too much negative space in the middle.  Their recoloring of the old marlin is beautiful, though, so I decided to take a look at how it would look with the current M.  Couldn't decide whether the head or the tail looked better in the front, so I made both.  I think it looks rather stunning.

JtbOQPR.png

That's nice. 

I think the first one works better - the second one just looks slapped on, while the first is more fully integrated. I think that might be because my eye doesn't see the tail at first. Putting the tail in front breaks up the white M, calling attention to it and better integrating the two. 

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

JtbOQPR.png

I'm sorry, but the multicolored options make the logo  look way too busy. You can tell its two totally different design aesthetics clashing, and the result is a bloody mess.

I'm probably in the minority about liking the newer fish, but I like it more because its simplicity jives well with the complex "M."

19vorsmd4og3emfukkimxip9c.png

Maybe if the new fish was arranged like the one on the left (with rear fins) and had better proportions, it might look a little better. Getting rid of/blending the lower part might also work, like the SB Nation logo for the team:

large_Fish_Stripes_Full.55945.png

A simpler design on the fish, without the "toothpaste" look, would be ideal for the logo.

Archived