MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 7/26/2017 at 10:33 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The problem is the line is there to resolve the bottom of the capital dome.  It would be awkward to have it full stop, or hard to render in different materials as it fades.  It would be better with a line below as well, though, one that's broken up by the ribbon.

Yeah but you can have the line there to resolve the bottom of the dome but what's weird is that it continues outside of the top half circle out to the ends of the wordmark. That's the part that's weird to me. They could have had the silver line and just had it stop betweenthe two Ls on the left and between the A and the M on the right. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yeah but you can have the line there to resolve the bottom of the dome but what's weird is that it continues outside of the top half circle out to the ends of the wordmark. That's the part that's weird to me. They could have had the silver line and just had it stop betweenthe two Ls on the left and between the A and the M on the right. 

That's true.  That could work.

W0YL9UV.png

I like the look of text between lines, that Star Wars prequel/Lion King look.  This is the behind the ribbon look, which has the added benefit of the interplay between the ribbon and the S.

VRGAf4E.png

That necessitates stretching things out a little bit.  Here's with the bottom line up enough to keep the S in front of the ribbon and with the line the same distance as the current line, with an added bit of the bottom half of the circle added to fill the empty space.

cAjn0Ef.png

FtATbKY.png

One thing screwing around with this has showed me is that there's a lot of small imperfections in the current logo.  The line is not equal on both sides of the circle, and it doesn't go to or past the end of either side of the text, but doesn't even go as far on either side in relation to the text.  Plus, there's the odd way that the space between the text and the ribbon fluctuates, at no point really being the same as the distance between the top of the text and the line.

6988__mlb_all-star_game-primary-2018.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, ZipperClub said:

White Sox with the 1980s SOX helmets, 1917 throwback jerseys, and current interlocking SOX on the mound logo.

And Indians are wearing current C helmet with their throwbacks. I don't understand why both teams couldn't just update their helmet decals to match. It's bad enough the Indians don't have red or wahoo helmets, but there's no reason not to just put a white C on for tonight.

21 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

I agree, but it would look even better if the Giants wore this verson of the road jerseys still.

item_11822_3.jpg

I respectfully disagree.  I love the interlocking "SF".

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 28/07/2017 at 4:31 AM, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres held a fan symposium (or something) and mentioned that if they were going to make a change, it'd be for the 50th anniversary in 2019.

Soooooooo yeah.

We now know what the Padres need to make a change, an anniversary... 48th, 47th, 42nd and now 50th. That makes way more sense...

The Twins are in San Diego and the Padres wore their 90s throwback, so both teams had multicolored interlocking logos. Has this ever happened before? The Twins re-adopted this logo in 2002 and the Padres went to all white in 2004 so there's a period in there but I can't think of any other options.

IMG_2606.thumb.JPG.699b3543abbc9e7c2be1db5a53c3855b.JPG

12 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Twins are in San Diego and the Padres wore their 90s throwback, so both teams had multicolored interlocking logos. Has this ever happened before?

Don't think so - multicolored monograms are pretty rare.  I can't think of any other MLB clubs that used one.

I suppose my opinion doesn't really matter as I'm not from San Diego or a Padres fan, but man, those navy/orange uniforms look so much better than the current bland nonsense.  I know there are varying opinions on what color scheme the Padres should go with, but those are the ones I remember most and just feels right to me.  I don't recall any other team with navy and orange.  I think I remember some arguments that navy/orange was to close to San Francisco's black/orange but I never mistook one for the other.  It's a shame they won't pick a good option and run with it.

1. Navy and Orange - my preference 

2. Navy and yellow (2016) - Looked pretty good, no reason to ditch it this year

3. Brown and yellow - not my favorite, but if updated and done correctly could work

No excuse for the bland ridiculousness they are now.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

50 minutes ago, CardsFan79 said:

I suppose my opinion doesn't really matter as I'm not from San Diego or a Padres fan, but man, those navy/orange uniforms look so much better than the current bland nonsense.  I know there are varying opinions on what color scheme the Padres should go with, but those are the ones I remember most and just feels right to me.  I don't recall any other team with navy and orange.  I think I remember some arguments that navy/orange was to close to San Francisco's black/orange but I never mistook one for the other.  It's a shame they won't pick a good option and run with it.

3. Brown and yellow - not my favorite, but if updated and done correctly could work

Your opinion matters.. because its spot on! I saw the SD logo with the orange the other night as a preview for that game and all I could think was why they arent using that color scheme anymore.

a2BRS8U.png

28 minutes ago, H11K said:

Your opinion matters.. because its spot on! I saw the SD logo with the orange the other night as a preview for that game and all I could think was why they arent using that color scheme anymore.

Because they're the Padres.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, CardsFan79 said:

I don't know if you were talking about the 90s or now, but the Astros wear navy and orange.  The Padres still look great in navy and orange - better than navy and white.

And many of the arguments I remember were that the Padres' orange and brown unis of the late 80s (my favorite set) were too close to SF's black/orange.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived