MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

All the teams are using the font the Yankees (and maybe Tigers) use...

Offhand, the Yanks, Braves, Padres, and Tigers use it. Angels used to use it back in the day. So the block font matches all of four teams, and none of the others.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I'm a homer.  I collect pretty much anything Dodgers, so I'll be getting the cap and the jersey (if they have a blank replica available).  As for that ligher shade of blue, it's actually all around the stadium.  It really doesn't bother me.

Also, ALL MLB merchandise is a cash-grab.

IMG_5870.JPG

I'm sad Cory Seager doesn't have one. It should've been "Kyle's Brother" like Kyle Seager's nickname uniform

vbZNaTo.jpg

4ffh6gt.png

Anybody going with "He Hate Me"? 

Too bad Bill Ripken had to play during the boring old years when teams just wore team uniforms and there wasn't a "cause" once a month, that really was a money grab for greedy owners and MLB executives.  He could have gone with "F*$! Face" as his nickname on his shersey.

If its truly "little league" weekend, then I say prices for game tickets, parking and concessions should be at "little league" levels for fans.  Or do they not count in this promotion?

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Gee, I wonder where I've seen that number font before...

Oh, wait...

Bexq6nZCcAEKBTm.jpg

For comparison, here's a normal Bruce T-shirt

m9521746nm3oa6_401.tif&wid=446=&cvt=jpeg

. . . which is now outdated.  I assume his Indians jersey will now say Bruuuuuce.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Oh, wait...

Bexq6nZCcAEKBTm.jpg

For comparison, here's a normal Bruce T-shirt

m9521746nm3oa6_401.tif&wid=446=&cvt=jpeg

Ugh... I hope its just a place holder font. It would be nice to see the teams use their own number styles. 

15 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

DGzkw0fXkAM3Kgm.jpg

This is mostly stupid, but Scooter Gennett putting his legal first name (Ryan) on his jersey made me laugh. 

That is pretty funny. As is Tim Adleman (I assume) going with "The Microwave."

Actually, the Reds have a pretty good set of nicknames there - better than most teams do.

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Are the Yankees are seriously going to do this?

Yep.

I think the days of them opting out are over.  While the teams have control over whether they have alts, throwbacks, etc., all the other funny business is set for certain dates* and seems to have full participation.  My guess is that MLB is pretty much telling the Yankees that they are in.  I'd have been willing to bet some money that the Yankees were spending Little League weekend on the road but I'd have lost that bet.  I'm genuinely surprised that the Yankees are at home for this nonsense.

Thankfully, the teams were a bit more autonomous when MLB did "Turn Ahead the Clock."  If they did that now, my guess is the Yankees would be in.  EDIT: Lukas (in the comments section) claims that the Mothers Day and Fathers Day uniforms are optional.

*Used to be dates, now it's full weekends.  I suppose a three-off jersey is worth spending big bucks on compared to a one-off :rolleyes:.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Don't little league uniforms generally use the same number fonts across the league? As in the guy that gets the uniforms made takes them all to the same printing company and asks them to print all the numbers in the same font? That's gotta be the reason all these jerseys use the same number font. It actually doesn't bother me because of that. 

16 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Don't little league uniforms generally use the same number fonts across the league? As in the guy that gets the uniforms made takes them all to the same printing company and asks them to print all the numbers in the same font? That's gotta be the reason all these jerseys use the same number font. It actually doesn't bother me because of that. 

I hadn't thought of it that way.  But number font is the least of the problems here.

I had not thought of this but, at least according to Uni Watch, the Yankees will have a name-on-back for the first time ever.  That makes this more of a travesty.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Didn't think I'd ever say this, but I miss George Steinbrenner.  He used to tell MLB to take a leap when these events came up. 

I was thinking the same thing.  He was a jackass, but from a uniform perspective, I wish MLB had 30 Steinbrenners.  I really don't think he'd have said "we've never used names on the back but yeah, what the hell...let's put nicknames on the back of a gray fashion jersey for three games at the Stadium."

POTD (Shared)

Did we talk about the REAL atrocity of this uniform, which is that they are insufficiently marketed to women?

Update (4:33 p.m. ET): A spokesperson for MLB told Deadspin: “We unveiled the first wave of products with nicknames today. There is more merchandise, including products for women, that will be introduced for Players Weekend.”

It is frustrating when you are ready to give your money to the league for their very obvious marketing ploy and you’re limited to :censored: that probably doesn’t fit you. Maybe the revenue we women bring in isn’t worth the effort, but can it really be that difficult to print small batches of shirseys? Whatever! Keep your “THOR” gear. None of us were into that guy anyway.

The food is terrible, and such misogynistic portions!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:
22 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

Mets nicknames

DGzWGASWAAEX5r5.jpg

Oh, wait...

Bexq6nZCcAEKBTm.jpg

You've also seen it on the Mets themselves, from 1962 through 1977 officially...

Image result for tom seaver mets  1976-MISSING-CLEON-JONES.jpg  

...and then unofficially, through carelessness, up until about 1984.

Related image   Image result for ron hodges 1983 bailor.JPG.589a396699784f3be4731460dbaada2a.JPG

But, it's true that teams should have their own number fonts.  One of the things I hate about the Premier League and MLS is the league-wide number font.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But, it's true that teams should have their own number fonts.  One of the things I hate about the Premier League and MLS is the league-wide number font.

Seconded, but that's an issue for another day.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived