Jump to content

MLB Changes 2017


TVIXX

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Matito said:

SFGiants58 did a concept exactly like that a while ago, and it turned out great.

 

Thanks! I've made a better version of that same idea:

 

20298893285_1ec186e556_b.jpg

 

20290507492_7b05a368d7_b.jpg

 

I had to crank up the saturation/darkness of the light blue, so it showed up better on white and grey backgrounds (i.e. doesn't need white outlines). I'm also more inclined towards giving the Rays a more modern block font, like I did here. Block Standard is a fantastic font (and Wilson Varsity is also good for some teams), but it gets kind of boring seeing it so often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

I had to crank up the saturation/darkness of the light blue, so it showed up better on white and grey backgrounds (i.e. doesn't need white outlines). I'm also more inclined towards giving the Rays a more modern block font, like I did here. Block Standard is a fantastic font (and Wilson Varsity is also good for some teams), but it gets kind of boring seeing it so often.

 

 

This is exactly what I was thinking and I think it looks really good. The only change I'd suggest would be to flip the stingray on the sleeve so he's swimming forward. And maybe a number on the front of the jerseys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

First time I have watched the Braves play in their all navy cap.  I am not a fan.  They look so much better with the red brim.

 

Yep. They broke them out for the series in Oakland for the first time in years and haven't been worn on the road since.

newsEngin.19048190_Braves_Athletics_Baseball_7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Not actually the same club, but an amateur team that borrowed the name once the Maple Leafs left. 

 

True, that is the uniform of the original AAA Maple Leafs team.  

 

My point was more that there still is a Maple Leafs baseball team, albeit in the Intercounty League.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

 

Yep. They broke them out for the series in Oakland for the first time in years and haven't been worn on the road since.

newsEngin.19048190_Braves_Athletics_Baseball_7.jpg

 

These are the best roads for the Braves. They should get rid of that navy experiment, its just not working out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC, the reason the Braves wore the home caps with the road set in Oakland was because the A's had a throwback night (or maybe it was a throwback weekend) to the early 2000s and that hideous black jersey with the green script. The Braves played along by wearing the road caps since their road gray uniforms haven't changed since then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cheo25 said:

IIRC, the reason the Braves wore the home caps with the road set in Oakland was because the A's had a throwback night (or maybe it was a throwback weekend) to the early 2000s and that hideous black jersey with the green script. The Braves played along by wearing the road caps since their road gray uniforms haven't changed since then.

 

A's had the throwback game on Saturday of the series

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, daveindc said:

 Padres looking good here. Wouldn't mind if they went with this permanently:

 

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/897925488835829760?s=09

 

 

 

I was at that game. And you're right, the Padres looked amazing. That '91 style jersey/cap combo was and still is their longest used uniform set at 11 years, and it really was a very good uniform. I wish they'd just go back to it and call it a day. It seems to be the one blue uniform that even the brown lovers like, and it was apparently quietly popular with fans as I was shocked how many people were wearing it in the stands.

 

And as was mentioned it has the added bonus of really fitting in with Petco Park (which was probably designed with an eye toward that uni set). I've attached a few picks of the graphics they used on the scoreboards and you can see it really works.

 

35816759584_6a53b8ce62_z.jpg

 

36255343360_2b466f34c8_z.jpg

 

35816757544_0f9fd02e69_z.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those are my favorite navy Padres uniforms, except for one thing: the typography. The drop shadow looks nasty, the curve is a bit messy, and the color scheme doesn't necessitate double outlines. The road uniforms were similarly flawed:

 

vaughn-gwynn-padres-1998.jpg

 

The road greys also had a mismatched script. A faux-cursive or cursive "San Diego" wouldn't be too hard to pull off. If the Padres returned to navy and orange, they would need to perform some cleanup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Those are my favorite navy Padres uniforms, except for one thing: the typography. The drop shadow looks nasty, the curve is a bit messy, and the color scheme doesn't necessitate double outlines. The road uniforms were similarly flawed:

 

vaughn-gwynn-padres-1998.jpg

 

The road greys also had a mismatched script. A faux-cursive or cursive "San Diego" wouldn't be too hard to pull off. If the Padres returned to navy and orange, they would need to perform some cleanup.

 

I agree on the road the double outline might be a bit much. But on the home I think it actually works. As for the curve on Padres, never had an issue with it but it would be interesting to see what the wordmark flattened out would have looked like. And yes the only real issue with the 90's set IMO was the mismatched script on SAN DIEGO on the roads. But it would be an easy fix. The rest of the set, was pretty damn spot on though. And the cap was the highlight for me if just for the actual interlocking SD and darker navy blue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a Dodgers fan I have that Padres road jersey and their blue alt...given to me as gifts after the World Series season.  Once in awhile I pull them out for old time's sake.  It was a good look!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • IceCap locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.