MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On 8/30/2017 at 10:49 AM, WSU151 said:

The charcoal graphite hat was pretty awesome, and, as with most on-fields, looks way better in real life than in pictures.  But everything else about that set sucked.

The fact that they lost 95 games in the first season of the set didn't help, after almost winning 90 in the last season of the late 90s/early 2000's scheme

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Those were 2.0 and they were way better than the first road uniform

inning7-3.jpg

"We need to market to kids!"

*designs minimalist uniform with dark grey on light grey*

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The really confusing thing for me was how frequently the Jays changed in this era -- from the Clemens era set, that very 90s upgrade on the classic Blue Jays look that added red, we went to one or two years of the steroid Blue Jay logo, then the total overhaul into the graphite era (which came so soon after the last overhaul), but then THAT set overhauled its road uniform to be non-matchy a few years after that, and somewhere in there the toothpaste hat popped up. It was hard to keep track of it all.

But mostly, the overuse of black and gray for a BLUE Jays team, and the several different horrible typefaces, sink even the other bad parts of that set.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I liked the T cap for that set and actually bought one for myself. 

Also, not that this defends the poor design choices of that uniform set but anytime anyone trashes the color scheme of that uniform I like to bring up how much black and gray an actual Blue Jay has. Look it up. There definitely should have been more blue but I think there was a logical reason for choosing to add black and gray. 

main-qimg-d893b031d48246aea521d04b31ad5dc0-c.jpg.13fcb3c0f8b6f8d79c57a8ffafee5a71.jpgblogs_2778_IMG_0085.jpg.68ecc47039a0d6da5cb1f137641f94a5.jpg

This makes me think there were better ways for them to add black and gray, market to kids, and provide a mid-2000s-esque "update" to the Jays. Granted nothing was gonna be better than just sticking to the blue white and some red classic scheme but maybe there were better options for what they were going for. 

On 8/30/2017 at 11:45 AM, the admiral said:

Chris Creamer vividly remembers the Blue Jays’ logo reveal in 2003. The Port Perry, Ont., resident is founder of Sportslogos.net, a website that documents team branding from across the globe. The site has always featured message boards, which allow Creamer to gauge how fans feel about different logos. Reaction to Toronto’s new look was pure disappointment.

"It bit, blew, and sucked," said Creamer, adding "it didn't pop, wasn't iconic, and didn't scream Toronto." According to Redford, omitting the Maple Leaf was the Blue Jays’ decision, possibly made in an attempt to appeal more to fans outside the nation. “I do recall hearing, much to my surprise, that the hat was extremely popular in the Bay Area, California,” Creamer says. “Probably just because there was one sociopath who bought the entire stock in between vague death threats."

I'm from the Bay Area. I bought the "T" hat from that set.

God, I feel guilty for contributing to such a crappy look.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

7 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

Why did they bother with the T logo in 2003 if they were changing in 2004 anyway? Blatant cash grab if you ask me.

A primary logo that was used for such a short time before a major change. That is what makes this steroid bird so appealing to me. It was a creation within a rare instance. It's an OK logo but the beauty of it is because it was there for just that short period. 

Go A's!

On 8/29/2017 at 6:27 PM, Gothamite said:

Did they make that choice because Houston is going on a road trip right after and they don't want to pack two sets of uniforms?

The Astros wanted to swap some games with the Rangers, who refused. Apparently they have an upcoming series in Arlington and were proposing trading that later series for the upcoming one. The Rangers refused, holding out for hosting both the series.  St. Petersburg is a compromise.

We've seen these types of games before, neutral fields for natural disasters. Which means that somebody is wearing their home uniform at a stadium other than their home. 

I think this was because the Astros had been on the road and only had their navy BP jerseys and gray road pants since the previous series was Players Weekend.

Not sure how, but they got their orange jerseys to Tampa for the third game of the series. I liked the BP jerseys with the gray road pants, and I've always wanted the Astros to have a navy jersey to occasionally wear on the road. Given they lost both of those games in that outfit, I suspect we won't see that look again. 

At least they went back to the orange/blue cap with the navy BP jerseys in the Sunday home game today. They wore the solid blue caps with the navy BP jerseys in a Sunday home game a few weeks back.

23 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

A primary logo that was used for such a short time before a major change. That is what makes this steroid bird so appealing to me. It was a creation within a rare instance. It's an OK logo but the beauty of it is because it was there for just that short period. 

It sort of speaks to the incoherence of their branding at the time that one of their "clone" affiliates updated, but not the other...the Dunedin Blue Jays (Florida State League) jumped right on board with the new look in '04, but the Pulaski Blue Jays (Appalachian League) hung on to the steroid bird through '06.

133521_yzXXEzRMRbBdOi0_io_LFagbs.jpg

On 9/3/2017 at 3:59 PM, Ark said:

Speaking of bird logos that were only used for one season

2rgavrd1qgkfw74ji5se5c1yk.gif

On 9/3/2017 at 7:27 PM, DiePerske said:

Primary, sure. 

It's being used in a secondary fashion for the past couple years, notably on equipment bags. 

I don't think it's every been the primary.  It was used regularly during the late 60s and early 70s, particularly on billboards (no luck finding images so far).

7985624280_e775c714dc_h.jpg

Buck Showalter revived it as a secondary when he came on board.  Besides equipment bags, it is also on the nameplates above all of the lockers (which I can also not find online).

838a2ceddf1b429e623274033e183ff6--kool-b7962699100_a7830e3dd6_o.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 9/3/2017 at 2:15 PM, phutmasterflex said:

The steroid bird had already been used on batting practice gear for a couple years before it became the primary, so it wasn't quite a one-year-only deal.

yKB8iri.jpg

hqTyLps.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 9/3/2017 at 8:15 PM, cheo25 said:

I think this was because the Astros had been on the road and only had their navy BP jerseys and gray road pants since the previous series was Players Weekend.

Not sure how, but they got their orange jerseys to Tampa for the third game of the series. I liked the BP jerseys with the gray road pants, and I've always wanted the Astros to have a navy jersey to occasionally wear on the road. Given they lost both of those games in that outfit, I suspect we won't see that look again. 

At least they went back to the orange/blue cap with the navy BP jerseys in the Sunday home game today. They wore the solid blue caps with the navy BP jerseys in a Sunday home game a few weeks back.

This is correct.  They were only supposed to be on the road for 3 in Anaheim (Players' Weekend), so they didn't bring the regular grey jerseys.  Their beat writer said they had the navy jerseys with them because come of the players wear them for BP, instead of those pullover tops with the numbers on the sleeve.  I guess someone either drove their orange set out to an available airport for the final game.  I can't remember when IAH/HOU reopened.  It's been a hell of a 10-day stretch here in Houston, so some stuff is still a blur.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Andrew McCutchen broke out the Pirates' team-specific Stance socks last night:

IMG_7122.thumb.JPG.ffdddddf00650796f5ee39e864d66df3.JPGIMG_7121.thumb.JPG.cb6eafe2b126ebe321dac1aab737f9a3.JPG

To my knowledge that's the first we've seen of them this season, which is odd since most teams' team-specific socks were shown off much earlier in the year.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived