MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, mjd77 said:

It was said on the broadcast that Miami didn't want to send for their home whites so they will have the road set the whole series.  Milwaukee had nothing to do with this.

Oh OK, thanks.  I don't have cable so didn't actually see the game.  I would have liked to see the Marlins get the full home team treatment, but apparently they are treating it as a road game, with the only exception being that they bat second.

They could have had both teams wear their road unis, like the Cubs and Astros in 2005 ;)

1 hour ago, ShinyHubCaps said:

Oh OK, thanks.  I don't have cable so didn't actually see the game.  I would have liked to see the Marlins get the full home team treatment, but apparently they are treating it as a road game, with the only exception being that they bat second.

They could have had both teams wear their road unis, like the Cubs and Astros in 2005 ;)

At least they did this for them:

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but any excuse to put the Brewers in their real uniforms is a good one. 

Brewers_Marlins_Baseball_31308.jpg

Maybe this belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread but I find these jerseys very boring. The font is absolutely nothing.

They're better than what they usually wear but that's not saying much.

Oh, I've always hated that script wordmark. Talk about generic. At least the block letters are distinctively theirs. 

If the Brewers want a script, they should just bring this one back. From the distinctive B to the unique pointed tail, it's as singular as it is beautiful. 

1948_MajesticJersey_wordmark.jpg

Not sure why it doesn't to you.  Details make all the difference in design, and obviously not all details are discernible at a distance. 

Good design looks good from far away and close up.  Bad design can often look good under one of those conditions, but falls short under the other. 

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Oh, I've always hated that script wordmark. Talk about generic. At least the block letters are distinctively theirs. 

If the Brewers want a script, they should just bring this one back. From the distinctive B to the unique pointed tail, it's as singular as it is beautiful. 

1948_MajesticJersey_wordmark.jpg

Is it? The B reminds me of the Braves and the rest remind me of the Senators.

I guess the point is that the Brewers need a total redesign.

Braves wearing their "Los Bravos" set today. Still absolutely despise it. Adding "the" to the script does nothing to acknowledge the Hispanic community. Not to mention that the script is completely jacked up. "Bravos" is the same length as "Braves" and somehow it's positioned totally different than it normally sits. I think they tried to make sure "Los" did not overlap the headspoon  but it looks terrible. The script is also skewed very poorly. Compare the angle of the script compared to that of the tomahawk. They should parallel each other and yet they're so obviously off. It's like they offered this project to a high school intern and the result is what we see today. As a Braves fan, this is terrible.

7 minutes ago, Ark said:

What looks good looks good it doesn't matter if it's "generic" or not. This looks good too:

tBEqsiW.jpg

That does look good. A button-up version would instantly be the best road uniform they've ever worn.   And a good compliment to their regular retro alts, which are great uniforms. 

46 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That does look good. A button-up version would instantly be the best road uniform they've ever worn.   And a good compliment to their regular retro alts, which are great uniforms. 

1990-1993 is as close as we've had.  What a time to be alive.

4382_milwaukee_brewers-road-1990.png

the letter e doesn't make for a natural tail connection.  Letter s doesn't look bad though, but if you can't make a tail look good on both, then they shouldn't have it on either.

The script is a little generic, but considering how bad adding little custom elements usually turns out, I'd play it safe and go with generic.  I dunno - maybe make the outline a slight shadow?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Maybe this belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread but I find these jerseys very boring. The font is absolutely nothing.

They're better than what they usually wear but that's not saying much.

I like the simple, clean font on this uniform in particular. The color scheme and pinstripes provides all the pizzazz.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed on the "e".  That always bothered me back in the day. 

I actually think the script looks more generic with the tail added on.  It's perfectly distinctive without it.  I'd shudder to mess it up with a shadow or other needless clutter. 

It is distinctive - for people like us, or people who have watched baseball forever and are more used to scripts having tails.  To average Joe, it's just cursive writing.

Same with the old Pittsburgh script - I think it was plenty distinctive on its own.  Like the Mil one, I like how they started off - no fancy tails or anything with the first letters.

I don't love PITTSBURGH on the current road jerseys - it's nice, but too many letters.  The script would look nice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now that they committed to matching numbers, the cursive Pittsburgh would look kind of weird. Now for matching NOBs, one can hope.

I like the tail on Milwaukee but I'm a sucker for tailed scripts. What's baseballier?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived