MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Quillz said:

I wish Houston would fix their cap to have an orange squatchee to match the bill. I always hate when two-tone caps don't match the bill and squatchee.

I agree with this 100 percent. The squatchee on the orange cap needs to be blue to match the blue bill, too.

maxresdefault.jpg

23 hours ago, cheo25 said:

I agree with this 100 percent. The squatchee on the orange cap needs to be blue to match the blue bill, too.

YES.

It's one of my absolute hard-and-fast rules.  If you have a contrasting brim, the squatchee must match it.  I don't think I've ever seen a cap successfully break this rule.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

YES.

It's one of my absolute hard-and-fast rules.  If you have a contrasting brim, the squatchee must match it.  I don't think I've ever seen a cap successfully break this rule.

Same. 

The Angels 90's alternate hat was the all-time worst offender

angels-2000-alternate-new-era-341.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, RangersFan4ever said:

Why did the Astros get rid of the all Orange cap for a two-tone Orange cap? 

Also, Why did the Astros wear the all navy cap in Boston the other day?

They had phased out their already rare use of the all-orange cap in 2015. Originally, they only wore it for Saturday home games with the regular home uniforms, but they started to quit doing that either in late 2014 or early 2015. They introduced the orange/blue cap in 2016, probably to sell new merchandise. They also introduced their current alt navy top that season, too. 

As for wearing the all-navy cap in Boston, my guess would be because they lost with the orange-billed cap in Game 3. They got a little superstitious with the orange jerseys a couple of years ago in the postseason and they finally ended some road struggles while wearing orange. What I found odd was they did not wear orange tops for either game in Boston, even though both games were played during the day. Unless the orange top clashes with the home team's colored jersey, the Astros usually wear orange jerseys for day road games.

The Astros are pretty consistent with a uniform schedule other than an occasional change-up here and there. As I mentioned above, they did wear the solid navy caps with the gray uniforms a couple of times this year when Lance McCullers pitched. They stuck to the orange at home on a Friday in the ALDS, and it will be interesting to see if that holds in the ALCS.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The worst (for me, at least) is when the squatchee is a color that shows up nowhere else on the cap:

hwl?set=sku[20453287],c[2],w[1000],h[750]&call=url[file:product]

Yes, that is odd. Although blue has been a Phillies team color for a long time, right? So maybe that's why.

There is also a sort of in-between option, where the squatchee is a different color from the rest of the cap, which is otherwise one color. Such as how the Dodgers have a white squatchee on an otherwise blue cap. This usually matches the logo color. Not my favorite style, but I think it's better than the above, where you've got basically three mismatched colors.

3 hours ago, insert name said:

So why do the Cubs wear an NL patch logo on their sleeve? They're the only team that does this and it's been bugging me my whole life. 

I think it’s kinda cool and I’m a Cards fan. You don’t see the league logos enough imo. 

Actually, it turns out the Braves (1871) are older than the Cubs (1874) and the Reds (1882), but the Braves have obviously not operated in one city since then, so I guess you can argue "Chicago, National League" is the oldest designation for a sports franchise or something. I don't know. The Cubs are old. The NL logo makes sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Actually, it turns out the Braves (1871) are older than the Cubs (1874) and the Reds (1882), but the Braves have obviously not operated in one city since then, so I guess you can argue "Chicago, National League" is the oldest designation for a sports franchise or something. I don't know. The Cubs are old. The NL logo makes sense.

I thought the Phillies were the oldest team in North America to maintain the same city and name?

That's also correct! The Cubs had a bunch of different nicknames (including, of all things, the White Stockings) before settling on Cubs near the turn of the century, but it's continuously been the Chicago National League Ball Club. Maybe all four of these teams should wear NL shields.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually think it'd be cool for every team to wear their league's shield. Maybe on the side of the caps or something.

The Cubs are wearing the "old" logo, though. Since roughly 1998, there have been simplified versions for both the NL and AL. I don't know how often those get used, though. I've only seem there here on the mothership, and never in actual real-world use.

Archived