MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

10 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

We, as a community, are always hammering for Color V Color matchups. 

Now we get one and we hate it!  Love it.

Gosh - it's almost as if one approach isn't applicable to every single solution.  

Next you'll be telling me that different people can have different opinions. :P

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Gosh - it's almost as if one approach isn't applicable to every single solution.  

Next you'll be telling me that different people can have different opinions. :P

I'm not saying this is a good looking matchup!  

Just think it's funny we always want more color matchups in other sports and then we get this bluefest 2016.

after 108 years of drought, one does not decide, YES let's wear Blue on the road. DUMB! Just STOP IT. They should be fired. With the idea they could be winning a title, atleast do it with a traditional uniform set. It's garbage. End of story.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

40 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The cartoon is evidence against.  There is zero evidence for.  Therefore the cartoon is pretty significant.

I understand the power of this particular myth.  It would solve a lot of problems.  But it just ain't true. 

I disagree due to all the things I said earlier about my suspicion of the point of the cartoon.

17 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I... don't think 60-80% of the community want those at all.  Maybe a vocal minority, but now coming to the conclusion of my second complete MLB year thread, I haven't experienced such a hammering large enough to say the whole community is in on it.  Maybe it's a matter of the MLB changes thread being more traditional and the season thread in Sports In General or someplace somewhere else there being a large groundswell for color v. color.

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I disagree due to all the things I said earlier about my suspicion of the point of the cartoon.

Yeah, but you haven't articulated any plausible reason why the cartoon should obscure an important part of the team's story, or why the team couldn't find any friendly journalist who would report the truth for decades.  

Awfully hard to argue on one hand that the team was named to honor First Nations in general and that so honoring a specific player was somehow so controversial that the team would never admit it nor the press report it.  Either it was an honor or it wasn't.  You can't have it both ways. 

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but you haven't articulated any plausible reason why the cartoon should obscure an important part of the team's story, or why the team couldn't find any friendly journalist who would report the truth for decades.  

Awfully hard to argue on one hand that the team was named to honor First Nations in general and that so honoring a specific player was somehow so controversial that the team would never admit it nor the press report it.   You can't have it both ways. 

No, no, no.  I'm not saying anything to support the nickname because I haven't had time to do the research or anything.  Even when I mentioned Hawk's point, I qualified with "if it's true".  I'm just saying that the cartoon seems either critical or joking about the name change, and if it was an honorific thing, that doesn't fit into the narrative, so it's not likely to be brought up.  I'm not talking about anything further.  I'm just saying I don't think that cartoon supports that it's untrue.  If this were a court case, I don't think that one piece of evidence holds up under scrutiny, but that doesn't affect any other evidence.

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, worcat said:

No but history will. And looking like a AAA team or batting practice jersey doesn't help.

I hate those jerseys as vocally as anyone here. It's honestly not a big deal. The Cubs are 15 outs and a four-run lead from doing it. Yeah, I'm talking about it like a 14-year-old talks about sex. Doing it. No one can care. They could wear pink shirts with flowers on them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I hate those jerseys as vocally as anyone here. It's honestly not a big deal. The Cubs are 15 outs and a four-run lead from doing it. Yeah, I'm talking about it like a 14-year-old talks about sex. Doing it. No one can care. They could wear pink shirts with flowers on them.

I understand, it just SUCKS that this is the uniform that they will be wearing for the title. UGHHHHHH 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

39 minutes ago, worcat said:

I understand, it just SUCKS that this is the uniform that they will be wearing for the title. UGHHHHHH 

Not as much as the Cavs' BFBS title jersey. Yeah, different sports, but I still think the Cavs' jersey looks worse, even taking into account the rich traditions in baseball aesthetics.

Just now, MCM0313 said:

Not as much as the Cavs' BFBS title jersey. Yeah, different sports, but I still think the Cavs' jersey looks worse, even taking into account the rich traditions in baseball aesthetics.

those sleeved black jerseys can burn in hell. So terrible.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I think most people want to see color vs. color more often in basketball and football, and maybe occasionally in hockey. Sports where color jerseys are traditional and fit the sport's aesthetic well.

Not sure I've ever seen anyone really clamoring for color vs. color in baseball. And FWIW, not sure many people would really want to see color vs. color in a Game 7 of the NBA Finals or Stanley Cup Finals either. There's a big difference between random regular season matchups and the sport's biggest stage.

19 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Agreed. It would be like the Cubs wearing black tank tops.

15 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I think most people want to see color vs. color more often in basketball and football, and maybe occasionally in hockey. Sports where color jerseys are traditional and fit the sport's aesthetic well.

Not sure I've ever seen anyone really clamoring for color vs. color in baseball. And FWIW, not sure many people would really want to see color vs. color in a Game 7 of the NBA Finals or Stanley Cup Finals either. There's a big difference between random regular season matchups and the sport's biggest stage.

I personally wouldn't desire color vs. color for every MLB game, but I might be one the minority that I would like it better than white vs. gray. I understand the tradition aspect, and I used to like the look, but to me it has slowly started to get too bland.

That being said, when the colors are as close as they are in this game I think the matchup would look better if Cleveland went with white.

Archived