MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dra--- said:

Dodger fan?

From his cry for vibrancy, I'm guessing Diamondbacks fan.

On 11/21/2016 at 6:50 PM, FinalBeast said:

IMG_3379.JPG

I dont have a picture, but the patch is the same design without the Suntrust Park logo.

So, by the architecture... this is a logo for Busch Stadium?

On 11/18/2016 at 6:18 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Actually, when a Looney Tunes cartoon made this reference, it was done by Daffy Duck.

Huh.  I thought it was a stock phrase used often, but I definitely had this on VHS when I was a kid and watched a lot of it.

I honestly saw someone post about the Tuscon Padres and thought "That actually looks like a pretty good color scheme".  Then they release it and... jeez.  They even reveal it with a POORLY LIT PHOTO THAT MAKES BOTH JERSEYS LOOK ALMOST IDENTICAL!!!  It's like they wanted this to look bad.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Born and raised Padres fan and this is the final straw. I'm done with them. Ridiculous. Hope they go 0-162 this season and forever more.

Interstate 5 north...where you'll first run into the Halos and then the Azul.  We'll welcome you.

Its gonna be great heading down to Dodger Stadium South next season to gloat.  At least my team (teams if you include my AL choice ?) can keep a constant identity.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

12 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Let's see. 

Home

Away

Sunday alt 1

Sunday alt 2

Friday brown Alt

Wednesday or Thursday alt

Navy alt 

Seven jerseys. That's just stupid. 

One less than the Diamondbacks! For the record, I think the Diamondbacks look is worse... someone said at least they tried but at least the Padres uniforms look like baseball uniforms. They're boring and sleep inducing but they still look like baseball uniforms to me and of course some of them aren't ugly in a vacuum.

33 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

One less than the Diamondbacks! For the record, I think the Diamondbacks look is worse... someone said at least they tried but at least the Padres uniforms look like baseball uniforms. They're boring and sleep inducing but they still look like baseball uniforms to me and of course some of them aren't ugly in a vacuum.

It seems like I'm taking up the burden of dennisbergan here in defending what the Diamondbacks did, but "at least they look like baseball uniforms" is a rather lame excuse to not do something creative with a design. Sure, that led the Diamondbacks down a really ugly road, but at least their idea of a redesign had actual new elements (some of them good, like the bright teal color and the new fonts).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see what the Diamondbacks' set would look like without any gradients, hideous dark grey road uniforms, or cut-off stripes (more "like a baseball uniform"), but I appreciate the injection of new design elements, some of which could be retained on a "real" baseball uniform (i.e. the unique color scheme of black/brick red/teal - which should be their single color scheme). Part of me wishes they'd just cut the crap and go back to purple/turquoise full-time, but I get the sense that the D-backs will eventually pull a Brewers with that color scheme/logo set.

The Padres, instead of probing their history for a look to modernize (be it brown/yellow, brown/orange, or navy/orange), or going in a unique direction with their color scheme (i.e. new scripts and logos with the navy/sand, navy/yellow, or navy/well-saturated secondary color), they instead choose to make a non-descript set even more unremarkable. If they were going to redesign, at least have the guts to make something that really stands out (but not as weird and OTT as the Diamondbacks). Fortunately, they will probably wear their alts often enough to distract from their dull look of the home/road set.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

It seems like I'm taking up the burden of dennisbergan here in defending what the Diamondbacks did, but "at least they look like baseball uniforms" is a rather lame excuse to not do something creative with a design. Sure, that led the Diamondbacks down a really ugly road, but at least their idea of a redesign had actual new elements (some of them good, like the bright teal color and the new fonts).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see what the Diamondbacks' set would look like without any gradients, hideous dark grey road uniforms, or cut-off stripes (more "like a baseball uniform"), but I appreciate the injection of new design elements, some of which could be retained on a "real" baseball uniform (i.e. the unique color scheme of black/brick red/teal). Part of me wishes they'd just cut the crap and go back to purple/turquoise full-time, but I get the sense that the D-backs will eventually pull a Brewers with that color scheme/logo set.

The Padres, instead of probing their history for a look to modernize (be it brown/yellow, brown/orange, or navy/orange), or going in a unique direction with their color scheme (i.e. new scripts and logos with the navy/sand, navy/yellow, or navy/well-saturated secondary color), they instead choose to make a non-descript set even more unremarkable. If they were going to redesign, at least have the guts to make something that really stands out (but not as weird and OTT as the Diamondbacks). Fortunately, they will probably wear their alts often enough to distract from their dull look of the home/road set.

In general I agree with you. I think my take on Padres vs DBacks here is basically just... the Padres uniforms aren't ugly, they're bland boring and non-descript but that doesn't necessarily mean ugly. The DBacks, while they tried something new, what they came out with is hideous looking, ruins the game I'm watching on TV, and makes the players look stupid. I can't stand the Padres updates but I think I'd rather my team wear that than what the DBacks wear.

15 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

What logo? The SD cap logo? Why would you be disappointed they've kept the one thing about their uniform that's been more or less consistent and good for the last 31 years?

I'm more disappointed that there doesn't appear to be a secondary logo featuring the swinging friar as there was in the 2000's. Hopefully the mascot himself isn't axed, as I know their mysteriously fired President Mike Dee was putting feelers out to the fan base about eliminating the Friar in all forms from the team. He apparently succeeded on the logo front, but the mascot was still around as of last week during their "Pedal for the Cure" event.

I love the SD I was hoping that the Swinging Friar would be used as the main logo. My pet peeves is team just using the cap logo as the primary 

Oh does the difference piping styles between the home and away jersey bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? Especially when the away has that atrocious collar piping that goes right up to the collar.. ENSURING THAT IT CAN'T EVEN BE SEEN WHEN THE PLAYER WEARS A NAVY SHIRT! I can never understand how that one gets approved, the Indians have it too.

20 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh does the difference piping styles between the home and away jersey bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? Especially when the away has that atrocious collar piping that goes right up to the collar.. ENSURING THAT IT CAN'T EVEN BE SEEN WHEN THE PLAYER WEARS A NAVY SHIRT! I can never understand how that one gets approved, the Indians have it too.

The home has that collar piping too.  But yes, the difference is really annoying.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

A day ago I thought to myself "hey, San Diego is an amazing place, why don't more players want to go there?", but now I know the reason.

Didn't they sign every free agent in 2015?  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Padres will continue to be the identity disaster and branding doormat they are if they don't OWN the brown. It's simple brand strategy theory 101. Pick something unique, own it and have the balls to embrace it. Like forever. Successful corporate and sports identities are realized over a span of decades, not seasons. The Yankees have been wearing navy pinstripes with the interlocking "NY" on the left chest since like, oh, 1912. (That's 104 years, Mr. Fowler.) It's why, regardless of how dismal they are on the field, the identity and brand will outlive all of us. The Yankees uniforms, the home whites especially, are sacred and untouchable.

Historically, the 4-5 owners of the Padres organization have eschewed brand strategy and succumbed to personal whim or jersey sales. The proof is their 6-7 color schemes since 1969! The brown color of the Spanish Franciscan friar's habit is the perfect start for the Padres to re-invent themselves and return to their roots.

How many teams in MLB wear blue as their primary/secondary? Two out of every three teams. Who wears brown? Zero. Only one team in the big four professional sports leagues wears brown. There's a ton of gorgeous brown-based uniform concepts that can be found online. Just pick one, Mr. Fowler.

These jerseys just SCREAM "focus grouped". Four people said they didn't like the color yellow, five said they didn't like the color brown, but hey, everybody likes blue! That means they'll buy blue stuff! BLUE AND WHITE IT IS!

And I guarantee you some marketing stooge primarily used the adjective "clean" when referring to the set. 

It's really hard to get angry at something so blase, but you've done the trick, San Diego.

Don't the O'Malleys own the Padres now? Are they going for blue/white austerity because they miss owning the Dodgers and think it's wise to market the Padres as indistinguishable from the Dodgers?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The hardest thing for me to understand with these uniforms is the fact that it's repeating the same mistakes that they've already gone through. The bowtie script was dropped so it obviously wasn't so great... why is it back? The yellow in 2016 was said to be a one year thing but was well received and was marketed well enough ... so why wasn't it kept especially when they said they were open to keeping it if it worked? The brown was starting to come back around and was hinting at gaining more exposure... so why didn't they go that route? The boring blue and white scheme was finally starting to disappear and more color was coming in from various places... why is there virtually no color in this 2017 look? It's indescribable, even for the Padres (or so I thought before this), how they were clearing trending in one direction (or arguably even 3 or 4 mixed directions) yet they go completely BACKWARDS with this one. HOW?? WHY?????

Archived