MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

17 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They've had that for a while now.

Difference is that it was paired with double-piping on the sleeves, which they have apparently cut back to the traditional single.

Sorry about that, i must have looked at a different Padres jersey. God knows there are plenty of them.......:P

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

It's so much better. It's amazing what a little yellow would have done to make it a good uniform. It's so obvious it's mind numbing they didn't do it.

Change all of that navy to brown and you'd have something. :-)

Seriously, it's still a good looking uniform even with navy and gold.

10 minutes ago, What Can Brown Do For You said:

I know others could do better but here's a half-assed version of @hawk36's design I did with the brown used on the Friday alternates

pads2017yellow.jpeg

Very nice. Too distinctive for the Padres, though. They'd rather blend in with uniforms that are the sartorial equivalent of wallpaper.

23 minutes ago, What Can Brown Do For You said:

I know others could do better but here's a half-assed version of @hawk36's design I did with the brown used on the Friday alternates

pads2017yellow.jpeg

Is this really exciting though? It's brown, which is something, but it's still weird piping and a pretty bad font.

It feels like the Padres need to start from scratch. Tear it all down and start over. 

For crying out loud Padres. If you'd have just changed the home and tweaked the sleeve patch on the road you'd at least have made a step towards standardizing things. Nope. Let's bring back a mismatched wordmark and bring back a historic "we're in a holding pattern" color scheme.  That'll put some butts in the seats!

9 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Is this really exciting though? It's brown, which is something, but it's still weird piping and a pretty bad font.

It feels like the Padres need to start from scratch. Tear it all down and start over. 

Maybe not, but I'd at least be okay with this for now, especially since we suspected going in that it would be in this font this year.

Of course I'd be okay with a lot of things now compared to what we actually got.

7 hours ago, ToyFrisbee said:

I totally get the point of how the Padres current uniforms can be "fixed" with tweaks, etc. But I can't fathom how an organization ignores, what seems to me is, the elephant in the room and the most obvious strategic direction. I really think the problem lies in the ownership's inability to separate their personal color preferences vs. what might be best in the long-term interest of the brand and how to develop it. Call me nuts but if they go classic/retro/vintage with the swingin' friar and brown lids, every kid south of LA would be hitting their parents up for $35 and a trip to the mall for a new cap.

I think you're overestimating how popular brown would be with young people. It seems that a lot of the people clamoring for Brown are a bit older and remember the Padres wearing brown. As someone in my mid-20s the Brown always feels a bit dated to me but maybe that's because I associate with the team's look in the 70s and 80s.

That said Brown does make the most sense when thinking about a friar. Growing up I never really knew what a Padre was since it wasn't a word I was all that familiar with and their uniforms and colors didn't invoke the the image of one.

I think brown could be nice but I wouldn't pair it with a color other than yellow or orange since that gives off a dated 70s vibe to me. Brown and red might work or I would maybe give red and yellow a try because I somewhat like their alternate logo swinging friar logo from 2004 to 2011.

On 11/17/2016 at 3:47 PM, BJ Sands said:

So, two Royals jerseys have just royal blue and white. Two have royal and baby blue. Now one has royal blue and gold.

The Royals are getting to 2016 Padres territory. If they insist on having a secondary color to go with royal blue, they need to pick between baby blue and gold.

Yeah, I'm not lumping the Royals (or any team) in with the Padres. My apologies. 

• IceCap locked this topic