Jump to content

MLB Changes 2017


TVIXX

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Have to disagree. Some of the best Padres teams were in navy/orange. To me it is the definitive Padres color scheme of those they've worn. As someone pointed out the brown/orange screams Cleveland Browns (and indeed the Padres teams that wore that color combo weren't much better than the Browns in their sport). If they have to go brown, yellow is the proper accompanying color among those they've worn in the past. Though a light blue/brown combo would be better.

I think either navy/yellow or brown/powder would be a great compromise. Although I definitely prefer the brown & yellow (and am way too young to have been alive when they wore it) I think either combination takes elements from their past and combines them in a modern and effective way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently the Padres found a non-sartorial way to screw up big, too: their radio broadcasts are moving from XEPRS Tijuana, a 50,000-watt AM signal, to KBZT San Diego, an FM. Now, instead of their signal spanning from Santa Barbara to well into Baja California, they're lucky to cover Temecula to Tijuana. Giving up a great deal of Southern California, especially northern San Diego County, seems unwise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Apparently the Padres found a non-sartorial way to screw up big, too: their radio broadcasts are moving from XEPRS Tijuana, a 50,000-watt AM signal, to KBZT San Diego, an FM. Now, instead of their signal spanning from Santa Barbara to well into Baja California, they're lucky to cover Temecula to Tijuana. Giving up a great deal of Southern California, especially northern San Diego County, seems unwise!

 

All decisions made by their now ousted President Mike Dee. His tenure was a disaster. And he was supposedly fired for cause for some business ops issue. Who knows what exactly as they're sitting on it as part of the out of court settlement into Dee's unpaid salary. But suffice it to say all of this lands on his doorstep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I'm fine with the Padres in navy/white. 

 

Just pick something, and commit to it for at least the next twenty years. 

I agree with stick to it comment, but can't agree with the navy/white. Works for historic franchises (Yankess, Tigers, etc.) but not for the Padres. Even their pre-MLB teams were navy/red I believe so it's not even a traditional look. Bottom line for me is brown is the original, most historic, and most used color in their MLB history (24 years to 22 for blue). That should be their color. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is terrible. I couldn't think they could get worse.I really want brown but if I couldn't have it, the 2004 unis were great. It opened the park(not that that always matters)(WOW that that), and it covered what the Padres always use as an excuse. "San Diego is a blue town". Oh really! It also has a light blue sky,and sand. Those sand uniforms were also a great touch(not gray). When I went on the ballpark tour in October, the tour guide said Petco Park has been open for going on 13 years. I couldn't believe it, how fast time goes but my point is that would have been 13 years , the longest stretch of a Padres uniform. Damn i'm pissed. I received my authentic brown jersey today that I ordered thinking it would more prominent but I'm sending it back. I have every Padres jersey up until 1990 and the 2004 sand but no for money from me Padre jersey committee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I agree with stick to it comment, but can't agree with the navy/white. Works for historic franchises (Yankess, Tigers, etc.) but not for the Padres. Even their pre-MLB teams were navy/red I believe so it's not even a traditional look. Bottom line for me is brown is the original, most historic, and most used color in their MLB history (24 years to 22 for blue). That should be their color. 

 

Actually that's incorrect. They wore brown for 22 years (1969-1990). They've worn navy for 27 seasons (1991-present) counting 2017 (and if you count the PCL team they wore navy for 25 seasons prior to their MLB debut as well). And as for it being most historic, the best teams, and statistically single best team, in Padres MLB history ('98) wore navy, not brown both during their MLB and PCL days. They were mired in mediocrity during most of the time they wore brown, with only 5 winning seasons, and one playoff appearance (by comparison during their navy MLB days they've had 9 winning seasons and 4 playoff appearances).

 

That said, I agree navy/white alone does not work. Navy worked great with yellow last year. It worked even better in the 90's with the darker navy and orange. Heck even the navy and sand worked better than navy/white alone. They had a good thing going in 2016 that looked good and was by all accounts pretty popular with fans. They should have just stuck with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Actually that's incorrect. They wore brown for 22 years (1969-1990). They've worn navy for 27 seasons (1991-present) counting 2017 (and if you count the PCL team they wore navy for 25 seasons prior to their MLB debut as well). And as for it being most historic, the best teams, and statistically single best team, in Padres MLB history ('98) wore navy, not brown both during their MLB and PCL days. They were mired in mediocrity during most of the time they wore brown, with only 5 winning seasons, and one playoff appearance (by comparison during their navy MLB days they've had 9 winning seasons and 4 playoff appearances).

 

That said, I agree navy/white alone does not work. Navy worked great with yellow last year. It worked even better in the 90's with the darker navy and orange. Heck even the navy and sand worked better than navy/white alone. They had a good thing going in 2016 that looked good and was by all accounts pretty popular with fans. They should have just stuck with it.

Ah, yes, I lost count somewhere but it's actually 24 for brown including 2016 and 2017.

 

I'd also argue that the best and most loved team was the 1984 (brown) team since it was the first team to make it to the World Series. The 1998 team was great but nothing can compare to the first.

 

Also, as the chart shows, blue is way overused in MLB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Ah, yes, I lost count somewhere but it's actually 24 for brown including 2016 and 2017.

 

I'd also argue that the best and most loved team was the 1984 (brown) team since it was the first team to make it to the World Series. The 1998 team was great but nothing can compare to the first.

 

Also, as the chart shows, blue is way overused in MLB.

 

Overuse is of no concern to me. If it looks good in how it's being used and is being used in a fairly unique way I'm ok with it seeing as some form of blue is a traditional baseball uniform color. That's the biggest issue with the Padres 2017 uniforms, it's that it's being used in a very predictable and bland way being just navy and white. Navy and yellow last year was lightyears better. As was navy and orange in the 90's. Hell navy and sand was better than 2017. Navy and light blue, navy and light brown, navy and dark brown... anything would be better than what they produced for 2017.

 

And if you want to count the home alt from '16 and '17 as being "brown years" then yes you are correct. As for which team is the most loved, it really depends on how old you are I think. 1984 was 32 years ago, nearly 4 decades worth of Padres fans, myself included, have never seen that team on anything but old grainy tape/mp4. Still don't understand how one home run entitled Steve Garvey to have a retired number and would support un-retiring it if that were an option. On the other hand '98 I saw in person and was my first Padres playoff and WS bound team. In fact I've never seen the team play in anything but blue (other than a pair of Friday games I went to last season).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

 

Actually that's incorrect. They wore brown for 22 years (1969-1990). They've worn navy for 27 seasons (1991-present) counting 2017 (and if you count the PCL team they wore navy for 25 seasons prior to their MLB debut as well). And as for it being most historic, the best teams, and statistically single best team, in Padres MLB history ('98) wore navy, not brown both during their MLB and PCL days. They were mired in mediocrity during most of the time they wore brown, with only 5 winning seasons, and one playoff appearance (by comparison during their navy MLB days they've had 9 winning seasons and 4 playoff appearances).

 

 

The Padres have been mired in mediocrity for most of their history regardless of what color uniforms they were wearing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

 

The Padres have been mired in mediocrity for most of their history regardless of what color uniforms they were wearing.

Yup...every MLB team in California has won a World Series.  Except the Padres.  Hell, every Cali team has won at least two games IN the World Series...except the Padres.  Yikes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

 

The Padres have been mired in mediocrity for most of their history regardless of what color uniforms they were wearing.

 

5 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Yup...every MLB team in California has won a World Series.  Except the Padres.  Hell, every Cali team has won at least two games IN the World Series...except the Padres.  Yikes!

The minute the Padres switch to brown full time they'll be winning World Series games that same season. This is a fact proven by scientific research.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Excuse any mistakes as I just did it by memory but overall the message is, there are already too many blue teams in the MLB.

 

MLBColors.jpg

Love this but, for my own ocd as well as out of curiousity, I want someone to fix inaccuracies and add details such as to differentiate between obvious changes in shades, such as royal and navy shouldn't automatically go together... but this is great.

(Except the Marlins don't wear yellow... they wear yellow as much as the Yankees wear red)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just out of curiousity because its like I can't seem to remember them in action much, I went back to check out in-game pics of the 2004 - 2010 Padres uniforms where sand was more prominent than white and, wow, consider me subtly impressed. They actually had something to build off of. Most would rather see brown but if you're gonna be a "beach themed" team then do it, go for it. The sand look was the start of an actual IDENTITY.

 

Looking back I wish they had stuck to these and went forward from there. Instead they've subtracted the sand, the colors, and the beginings of an identity.

 

What identity is there in just navy and white? It's not the beaches, the military, or the Friars so what exactly are they going for???

 

Yes the "sand years" uniforms had flaws and I wasn't a fan at the time of the sand jersey that looked like they were white jerseys soaked in pee... but they were more fun and interesting than what is going on with the Padres look today. Outside of just straight up switching back to brown exclusively, I'd imagine that sticking with the 2004 look through 2017 and beyond would have been a better move than what they've done since 2011.

 

A few pics... also I really like the sand colored pants with the navy tops. It's a good use of the sand color with the "ocean" color of navy blue alongside it. It seems a stronger use of sand than being both top and bottom sand like the primary road jersey was...

Image result for san diego padres sand uniformsImage result for san diego padres 2008

Image result for san diego padres 2008

Image result for san diego padres sand uniforms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • IceCap locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.