MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

On one end of the spectrum, we had the D-Backs going nuts with the complexity of uniform design last year. Now we have the Padres going the opposite way with a very simple, straight forward look. 

I have to say I prefer going for the straight forward/clean look, albeit a bit on the boring side. I thought the yellow last year was a nice touch and they should have kept it. I'm in my early 30's and my first memories of the Padres were the navy/orange days. I wouldn't mind seeing them go back to that with the pinstripes. I've never been a big fan of brown, but that concept by Storrusten looked pretty sharp. Getting away from another team having a lot of blue (or red) I don't necessarily see as a bad thing. 

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Just found this pic. Made me think, if the Padres wanted a single color look, brown would have worked well and would have at least been unique (although I still would prefer a splash of yellow).

San%20Diego%20Padres%20MLB%20C-Dub%2059F

Now I want to see a concept of the new jerseys but in brown instead of dark blue.

7 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

From the article

"I have no fashion sense as you can probably tell by what I’m wearing tonight and what I usually wear. On top of that I’m color blind, so the uniform style and color don’t mean a lot to me personally."

Then he should hire someone that is not colorblind.

Besides, owners should stay out of the design process.

And should definitely not make it look like the players designed / like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEt4RnNEjkg

Clippers team meeting

11 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Those navy tops with the sand script and the Friar logo on the sleeve were easily in my top 5 all time favorite MLB jerseys. They were pretty much perfect, and they worked amazingly well with the sand pants. 

Also underrated is how great it looked with the hat logo matching the color of the jersey logo (as well as the main background colors being the same)

1 hour ago, What Can Brown Do For You said:

Also underrated is how great it looked with the hat logo matching the color of the jersey logo (as well as the main background colors being the same)

I would've made the friar wear tan or brown (or even navy blue to match the jersey) than have him in red...that red just sticks out.

I need to find a hat with him the next time I'm down south...that logo is SOLID and it's a shame the Friars don't use it more often. I'm pro-Dodgers of course but dammit that's a nice logo.  Shame on the Padres!

IMG_1831.JPG

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

7 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I would've made the friar wear tan or brown (or even navy blue to match the jersey) than have him in red...that red just sticks out.

I need to find a hat with him the next time I'm down south...that logo is SOLID and it's a shame the Friars don't use it more often. I'm pro-Dodgers of course but dammit that's a nice logo.  Shame on the Padres!

IMG_1831.JPG

I meant the SD logo on the hat they wore with those jerseys. But I do agree the friar needs to come back 

^^

Brown is definitely an improvement over blue if for no other reason that it separates them from so many other teams.  I also think the brown looks nice set against a gray road jersey.

I still feel, particularly looking at the hat, that it is screaming for another color.  But this would be better.

What an aggravating team.  It's almost like they are screwing with the fans for their own amusement.  We were well-warned that last year's yellow experiment was for one year.  But it really does feel like they've pulled the rug out from under us one more time.  Back to the same blah color scheme (when they're not doing the military or throwback thing).  And the best thing about that boring scheme was last year's road jersey.  The "San Diego" wordmark, while not memorable was actually appealing (to me anyway).  So they bring back the friggin' bow-tie?  If someone would have suggested that as a possibility, I'd have said "not even the Padres would do that."  What was that conversation like?  "Hey, remember the road wordmark that went big/small/big/small/big?  I bet that failed because of the sand-colored road uniform.  It would go over on a gray uniform like gangbusters!"  "Oh, man, you are so right?  How did I miss that.  Let's make that happen and then people will stop bugging us about brown and blending in and whatever else bugs them about our classic blue look."

That bow-tie is absolute salt in the wounds.  

What are they doing?  I seriously don't get it.  I don't like, say, the recent Atlanta Hawks change, but I understand that it's meant to appeal to someone and that it sets itself apart.  This just makes no sense.  Are they trying to milk a few more years of selling the brown alt?  Are they being very, very pragmatic and we'll see something in a few years?  It's absolutely mind-boggling.  People brought up the "focus group" angle...geez, you'd think that would at least land them on blue and yellow or blue and sand.  

I get that brown gets dinged in the area of "mass appeal."  I really do...so while like and hope for brown, I understand why some don't and why the team may not want to go for it.  But does that really need to prevent them from doing anything even a little interesting?  If I were a Padres fan, my frustration would be through the roof.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

A question on the Padres.  What's with the gap in the "D."  I HATE that.  Is it a drop-shadow of sorts.

I recall a thread about "small details that annoy you" or something.  This may be my biggest "small detail" annoyance. I'm just not seeing what that gap is supposed to show.  Just another point of frustration from a frustrating franchise.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I know teams have to hang onto jerseys for a couple of years but what's the rule for hats? Could the Padres swap in the white and yellow SD with their new jerseys? Because I think it might help a lot, and it'd actually be a precedented move for the team since they wore blue and white jerseys with a white and red SD in the PCL. They also wore a white and orange SD on their helmets when they went blue and white after 1998.

1 hour ago, Toodles1980 said:

I don't know if this is a sign of something to come for the Brewers, or the Brewers completely ignoring the concept of a unified look, but the recent press conference has a blue and yellow ball and glove logo on name cards, with the gold and navy barley M in the background. It is a complete mess.

I'm guessing things will be staying a mess for at least the 2017 season.  They seem content on trying to mesh multiple identities into one look. 

My preferred Padres colour schemes...

Brown/athletic gold/white

Brown/sand/white

Brown/white

Brown/orange

Brown/athletic gold/orange

anything involving blue

12 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

A question on the Padres.  What's with the gap in the "D."  I HATE that.  Is it a drop-shadow of sorts.

I recall a thread about "small details that annoy you" or something.  This may be my biggest "small detail" annoyance. I'm just not seeing what that gap is supposed to show.  Just another point of frustration from a frustrating franchise.

It's supposed to be a drop shadow of some sort but it fails miserably, especially on the Friday fauxback caps with the brown SD on the yellow triangle.  I wish they'd just go back to the classic original SD design, never liked the 1985 bigger D version which evolved into the current logo.  

fdjn4hd4asqsmf4vri52ydggg.png

Blue is so overused I don't want it even if it looks good. It's time to return to our roots and identity that distinguish us from the rest of the league. Anything else is just generic imitation. No more cliche, threadbare blue.

I won't be spending a dime on the Padres until they either return to brown or head to the WS. That means I'll never waste money on them again. I encourage all fans of the authentic colors to boycott too.

I also hope this new ownership fails and has to sell as soon as possible.

Peter Seidler said:

Yeah there is a theme there [of changing uniforms too often] and we’re going to stop that. We’re going to settle on a uniform. Our club — and I believe that in our executive offices at Petco — and our team believes — that our club on the field is going to grow into that uniform and we’re going to win in that uniform. It’s going to become popular because it’s the Padres uniform. We’re just not going to change it as frequently as we have in the past. That’s a valid point.

Looks like the "brain trust" has decided to compound their mistake by actually keeping these uniforms long term and thinking that they will become popular simply if the Padres win in them.

Hilarious that Seidler has that much faith in winning. In SD all we can really count on is our team identity, and we currently have none.

15 hours ago, Toodles1980 said:

I don't know if this is a sign of something to come for the Brewers, or the Brewers completely ignoring the concept of a unified look, but the recent press conference has a blue and yellow ball and glove logo on name cards, with the gold and navy barley M in the background. It is a complete mess.

This is basically the only thing the Brewers have consistently done the last few years, consistently using multiple identities at the same time.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is basically the only thing the Brewers have consistently done the last few years, consistently using multiple identities at the same time.

This mess was all in an effort to appease the crowd who wanted more of the BiG.  But for some reason they thought it was a good idea to simply shoehorn the BiG into their regular identity and now we are left with the current mess of trying to be modern and retro at the same time, using essentially 3 different color schemes.  Now I wish they would just start from scratch and come up with something completely new, but I'm guessing the BiG is here to stay.

Archived