MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

6 hours ago, larrypep said:

It's supposed to be a drop shadow of some sort but it fails miserably, especially on the Friday fauxback caps with the brown SD on the yellow triangle.  I wish they'd just go back to the classic original SD design, never liked the 1985 bigger D version which evolved into the current logo.  

I actually prefer the 1985-2003 "taller" SD logo.  Maybe because it's kinda the one I grew up with (though I am old enough to remember the short/wide SD).  But the broken D just does not work.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, larrypep said:

It's supposed to be a drop shadow of some sort but it fails miserably, especially on the Friday fauxback caps with the brown SD on the yellow triangle.  I wish they'd just go back to the classic original SD design, never liked the 1985 bigger D version which evolved into the current logo.  

fdjn4hd4asqsmf4vri52ydggg.png

Too many angles for my taste...looks rather beer-league, IMO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Too many angles for my taste...looks rather beer-league, IMO.

For me it's not the angles (though now that you mention it...)

It's the "stockiness," if you will.  Particularly with the "D" which is almost a square.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

For me it's not the angles (though now that you mention it...)

It's the "stockiness," if you will.  Particularly with the "D" which is almost a square.

Also...I think it's likely an illusion...but it sort of looks like the S is bigger, which affects the balance.  Just a clunky logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The thing about the gap in the D is that it all bleeds together from a distance without it. In worked in the nineties when the S and the D were different colors but not so much when they're the same. Which isn't to say that the team found an elegant solution, because they didn't. Personally, I'd like to see them start from scratch but they probably won't since the current SD is on every row of seats in Petco.

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, they don't.  The Padres just got rid of a jersey they had for only one year.  And the matching cap, as well.

Padres got away with it because the blue and yellow was technically a commemorative jersey and not a true change, which is why they didn't change the road gray or blue alts

33 minutes ago, What Can Brown Do For You said:

Padres got away with it because the blue and yellow was technically a commemorative jersey and not a true change, which is why they didn't change the road gray or blue alts

Good point... leads me to believe they had these 2017 changes in mind even before the 2016 ones.

On 24 de noviembre de 2016 at 0:04 AM, What Can Brown Do For You said:

I know others could do better but here's a half-assed version of @hawk36's design I did with the brown used on the Friday alternates

pads2017yellow.jpeg

Question:

If this really was the Padres' primary jersey, where would it rank among the other primary jerseys in the league? Does it crack the top 10?

29 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Question:

If this really was the Padres' primary jersey, where would it rank among the other primary jerseys in the league? Does it crack the top 10?

It'd be in the 11-15 bracket. While it has a unique color scheme, the font is kind of iffy, the cap logo is duplicated on the sleeve, and incorporating more yellow in the striping would be nice. It'd be good, but it'd still miss out on a lot of potential with the look.

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

Question:

Place the swinging Friar on the sleeve and I think it cracks the top 10.

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Question:

Clean design? Unique colours? Yep, top ten. I'd even put it in the top five if it used the Swinging Friar on the sleeve instead of the SD logo.

5 hours ago, daveindc said:

holy-name-province-student-friars.jpg

PJS_4006.jpg?itok=hH635Kr1

I've become intrigued with the idea of straight brown and white. Unique, simple, and clean. 

It's as dull and bland as the blue and white. You need a third color to go with blue or brown.

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Blue Jays home, Yankees home, White Sox road, and Dodgers home. 

I'm not sure I could go top 5 because along with the ones listed here, I would have the Cardinals home and Cubs home above the Padres with the swinging Friar.

1 hour ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

So have we seen all the new changes for next season?

Doubtful. I would expect to see at least two or three teams unveil some alternates in the next month or so.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived