MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a major problem with the Padres approach to research. For one, I doubt they consider fan enthusiasm. Just because someone votes for blue doesn't mean they love it. But we know that there's passionate support for brown that's also fairly large in number.

Another problem is they don't seem to care what experts think, or those with experience in what makes a good uniform. The people on this forum have more knowledge on the issue than whoever they have in charge.

It's really frustrating for them to be this incompetent.

13 hours ago, Dra--- said:

Another problem is they don't seem to care what experts think, or those with experience in what makes a good uniform. The people on this forum have more knowledge on the issue than whoever they have in charge.

Retail experts probably are telling them navy blue is much easier to sell than brown.  Most of the league has probably talked to those same experts. 

With that said, hawk36's change to brown and white is really nice and would be a great look for the Padres.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Retail experts probably are telling them navy blue is much easier to sell than brown.  Most of the league has probably talked to those same experts. 

It's got to be something like that. Otherwise their market research studies must have a sample that isn't representative of the population they're trying to serve at all since almost all the baseball fans I've encountered seem to want them to bring back brown.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

And they're probably not wrong. Brown makes for a unique uni sure, but not a very marketable piece or merch for most people.

10 hours ago, Dra--- said:

I have a major problem with the Padres approach to research. For one, I doubt they consider fan enthusiasm. Just because someone votes for blue doesn't mean they love it. But we know that there's passionate support for brown that's also fairly large in number.

It's really frustrating for them to be this incompetent.

One thing about passion is that it can fade. What happens to the #BringBacktheBrown people when they get what they want and lose something to rail against. It's not like there are Twitter campaigns talking about how great Toronto's new jerseys are. The unhappy are usually more vocal than the happy.

Also, I wonder if going back to brown would be a short-term solution. Who's to say that Generation Z won't grow up and start getting nostalgic for the blue the Padres wore their entire childhood?

You're right about the experts though. When the Padres changed jerseys in 2012, they talked about the in-house team that they had design them and these new jerseys look like they were done in-house as well. Next time they change, they really need to hire a professional.

I went and looked back at the '16 ASG logo and the signs of the 2017 jerseys were already there. The bow tie shape returned after being away for like 4 years, we should have known what was coming next. The font was the newer one and got away from the more swoosh-like flowing Padres wordmark of the previous seasons. The yellow, if we understand that it was always going to be a one year thing, was temporary from the start and by just removing the yellow in that logo suddenly we have just the navy and white scheme with some "battleship gray" thrown in for the sake of some contrast. No sign of brown or sand either. I think this points to the Padres knowing what their 2017 uniforms were gonna look like even before the 2016 ASG commemorative stuff. They weren't going "backwards" (in their eyes) after already knowing where they were headed in 2017.

13 minutes ago, HighCheese said:

Not 2017 but

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18208401/mlb-announces-uniform-deal-armour-fanatics-starting-2020

info on the UA/Fanatics deal 

worst part is the last sentence: "Starting in 2020, the Under Armour logo will be on the front of all MLB jerseys."

I'll go ahead and say it. 

Ads on MLB jerseys in 2030. This is the first step. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

21 minutes ago, HighCheese said:

Not 2017 but

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18208401/mlb-announces-uniform-deal-armour-fanatics-starting-2020

info on the UA/Fanatics deal 

worst part is the last sentence: "Starting in 2020, the Under Armour logo will be on the front of all MLB jerseys."

Under Armour wants us to know that they finally made it into the big leagues :P

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

2 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

I wonder if/hope that the Padres knew this change was coming before they came out with their boring new jerseys that they won't commit to.

Who says the uniform designs are changing? It's just who's making them and I'd imagine only the UA logo is what gets added to the uniforms.

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't hate this but I'm just very weary of what horrible "new and innovative ideas" might come of this. 

It will probably be a new panel configuration (as opposed to what Flex Base uses now), but it'll probably be the same or similar material.  And the cut of the jersey might change.  I think we'll get the faux button-ups in a few places and the UA faux flannel look too.  I don't want to challenge UA to prove me wrong, but it can't be worse than anything the D-Backs have done.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived