MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

It's a good thing they didn't win the World Series then (not that winning a World Series wearing a racist hat is a reason to continue wearing it).

To them it would have been. Remember the Indians social media saying they had won so many games with the navy alt so it would continue to be worn?

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Step in the right direction, although pairing the blue alts with their red caps isn't great. 

I'm not sure if the Wahoo hats are done completely or not.  For now the sleeve patches will remain.

On 12/11/2016 at 10:20 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Either way, I prefer their caps with the old-English B better.  Even a white-paneled cap with a block orange B would be preferable IMO.

. . . except it appears that it was never actually worn as a game cap.  At most, it might have been a batting helmet, but I don't think that's clear either.

On 12/11/2016 at 2:55 PM, WSU151 said:

Cartoon bird would be a better alternate hat than "O's".  

Anything is better than the O's cap.

On 12/11/2016 at 9:30 PM, Gothamite said:

This is my favorite Orioles cap logo. 

14892046365_f3a7102b0b_o.jpg

See above.  I just quoted this post to show the picture.

It is a great looking hat.  However, as noted above, it apparently only exists now because Buck Showalter took a liking to it, not because it was previously used as a game hat.

20 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Didn't Baltimore have the white panel cap first though? 

That is correct . . . but the Expos and Braves had one before the Orioles.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

. . . except it appears that it was never actually worn as a game cap.  At most, it might have been a batting helmet, but I don't think that's clear either.

You're right.  It wasn't ever used on a cap, but it was featured on the Orioles' batting helmets in 1955.

14892046115_a5271b62f4_o.jpg 14889005611_4905b67a4a_o.jpg  14892045975_e285e422aa_o.jpg

13 hours ago, mjd77 said:

A little less Wahoo next year.  The red block "C" cap will be worn with the blue alternates next season.

What the hell Indians. The red cap is a :censored:ing eyesore and will look like absolute :censored: with the navy alts...

I don't like us in red caps, but I'll take it to continue downgrading Wahoo. 

I wonder if they have anybody working on a new logo since people don't seem satisfied with the block C. Why not start using the cursive I again? In fact, what I'd really like is a logo that intersects the cursive I with the block C to jazz it up a bit. Plus, such an identity could create a necessary precedent for the way they mix the block C caps with the cursive scripts Indians. 

8 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

I don't like us in red caps, but I'll take it to continue downgrading Wahoo. 

I wonder if they have anybody working on a new logo since people don't seem satisfied with the block C. Why not start using the cursive I again? In fact, what I'd really like is a logo that intersects the cursive I with the block C to jazz it up a bit. Plus, such an identity could create a necessary precedent for the way they mix the block C caps with the cursive scripts Indians. 

Why they just don't take Wahoo to the woodshed and end him is beyond me. They're clearly not happy with him and want him gone, so just do it.

I hate those red caps so much - they also looked terrible with the cream fauxback uniforms. They just don't fit the rest of the Indians' identity at all.

The Indians are long overdue for rolling out a new cap logo that isn't Wahoo, and isn't the plain block C without any outline. I've wondered what it would look like if they revived the old "Cleveland" script on the roads, and used the "C" from that as their cap logo.

If I had my way, they'd go back to their 1994 set, just without any Wahoos. Ditch the sleeve patch and change the cap logo, and otherwise, that 1994 set would be the best they've ever looked.

6 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Why they just don't take Wahoo to the woodshed and end him is beyond me. They're clearly not happy with him and want him gone, so just do it.

I'm guessing they're afraid of a potential fan backlash from those attached to Wahoo, and are taking this half-assed approach as a result. I'm sure the intention is to satisfy everyone by not using Wahoo as a primary, but keeping it around as a sleeve patch and (more than) occasional cap logo, but the reality is that they're satisfying no one right now. Those of us who find the logo offensive will obvious not be satisfied until it is completely eliminated (racist caricatures do not suddenly become okay in small doses), while those who love the Wahoo logo obviously want to see it as the Tribe's primary logo.

They'd be smart to weather the initial, short-lived fan backlash to eliminating Wahoo, which would likely disappear after a season, rather than have this absurd controversy following them around for as long as the logo is still in use. The only way to make the controversy go away is to get rid of Wahoo, and commit to that decision even after the initial backlash.

9 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I don't think that's clear at all.  If the team wanted him gone, they wouldn't have worn him in every game of the World Series.

MLB wants him gone, but I do not think we can say with any certainty that the club does.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think that's clear at all.  If the team wanted him gone, they wouldn't have worn him in every game of the World Series.

MLB wants him gone, but I do not think we can say with any certainty that the club does.

It's almost teetering towards Padres/Brewers level of "Well we sort of want it, but some in the front office don't like it, but we don't want to change, but we need something else, but the fans like it...sooo....."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived