MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Forget it. They'll always be the Cleveland Indians.

Funnily enough, that reminds me of something I thought as a little kid. When I heard that the last team the Giants beat in the World Series was the Cleveland Indians, I thought, "Man, it's been so long since the Giants won the World Series, that the team they beat had a name like that and that said team probably doesn't even exist anymore." Imagine little me's surprise when I learned that the Cleveland Indians were still around, with that name.

I'm all for keeping the name Indians, but I'm starting to believe that if the team has to dump Wahoo, maybe the name should go as well. It's a way of making a "clean break" from the past. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Funnily enough, that reminds me of something I thought as a little kid. When I heard that the last team the Giants beat in the World Series was the Cleveland Indians, I thought, "Man, it's been so long since the Giants won the World Series, that the team they beat had a name like that and that said team probably doesn't even exist anymore." Imagine little me's surprise when I learned that the Cleveland Indians were still around, with that name.

This is like one of those Woke Twitter posts that starts with "my three-year-old daughter Chairyn asked me..."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Give me the "I" cap logo as the full time cap for the Indians. They still use the script, so why not? 

cleveland-indians-alternate-navy-pinch-h

Heck, give this baby that red bill & Squatchee, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

I understand it's cursive, but I still can't see it as anything but a "J".

16 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

- As for why there is gray trim on the navy alt: It was originally conceived as an alternate to be worn on the road only, and the gray trim matched the gray pants. It started getting use for home games more in recent years, but the gray trim has remained. 

(And this leads to a pet peeve of mine: If gray isn't one of your colors, don't use it as an accent color on your uniforms. The Mets do this, too, and it's equally bad for them.)

Just thinking out loud here, off the top of my head, I believe only the White Sox, Rockies, and Marlins actually can claim gray and/or silver as one of their colors. The White Sox definitely are more of a gray, the Rockies straddle the line between gray and silver, and the Marlins you may not expect but they use a metallic silver thread in all of their jerseys and caps, definitely nothing more than an accent but it's clearly there. Any other teams that can claim gray/silver as one of their colors? The Yankees are seemingly "given" gray when they "need" a second color but I can't accept gray as being a Yankee color.

18 hours ago, jp1409 said:

I don't get this. Titles are stating that the Indians will stop wearing Wahoo caps then you notice when reading the articles that they're only talking about the blue alts now being worn with the ugly red caps. What about the red billed home caps worn with the white jerseys? The panicking titles seem misleading...

Yeah I think on here the talk has shifted more to how bad the pairing of the red caps with the navy alt is gonna look but Chief Wahoo really isn't even being used less if you think about it. This picture from the Indians site shows the comparison between 2016 and 2017 for all their jerseys and really it's not the caps that are changing, it's the jerseys as the navy alt is replacing the cream jersey. Look at the caps in the pic below, they're the same for 16 and 17, it's the navy jersey that gets repeated in 17 as it wasn't in 16... the phasing out of Wahoo is super misleading... leads me to believe the Indians are trying to please some of their critics by saying their cutting back on Wahoo when they essentially aren't...

CLE1280_srevqudw_ps0waseo.jpg

Looks that way.  This is not even a step in the Wahoo phase-out.  And so now we're going to see more blue alt and the gray "Cleveland" jersey no longer has a white match (were they wearing that a lot anyway?).  I wouldn't be surprised if the gray jersey has a mark that better-matches the home in the future.

They may as well dump the red had because it doesn't look good with any jerseys any more.

As for Wahoo...I think it's still a long way from being phased out (if that's even what they are doing).  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This shouldn’t come as a major surprise. The team has been slowly transitioning away from Chief Wahoo for years now. While phasing out the mascot hasn’t happened as quickly as some would like, this is just another example of the franchise trying to distance itself from the controversial logo

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/you-wont-see-chief-wahoo-as-much-on-indians-uniforms-next-year-235204198.html

I disagree... they aren't phasing out Wahoo or distancing themselves from him... they are finding a way to keep (aka shoehorn) the red caps now that they've removed the cream jerseys. Huge difference here.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

CLE1280_srevqudw_ps0waseo.jpg

So what they've actually done is add (through the sleeve patch) more Wahoo to the official uniform lineup. 

If they insist on wearing the blue alts at home, they can simply change the caps to: 

IMG_3089.JPG

Or better yet:IMG_3086.JPG

(I took the liberty of removing Wahoo and also changing the piping from gray to white)

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

Is white a team color?

Well, the Mets use gray letters on the blue road alternate.  So they do use gray more than your regular gray away jersey.  I'd say white could be a color for every team just based on natural design of a logo.  Gray tends to be more intentional.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

But the Mets wear grey on the road and don't wear any white. The wordmark on Cleveland's blue jersey is still outlined in white. Also, wasn't grey an actual third color for Cleveland in the mid-00s. I recall Wahoo being outlined in grey (or maybe it was silver) back then. 

Not officially part of the color scheme, but Wahoo was outlined in gray/silver at the time.

40 minutes ago, bwburke94 said:

Not officially part of the color scheme, but Wahoo was outlined in gray/silver at the time.

It was silver and was part of the color scheme. Logos and wordmarks were outlined in silver and piping was navy and silver. I still own a couple hats from that era, these look like absolute crap.

Screenshot_2016-12-15-16-11-30.png

Archived