MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

41 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Just a thought...Do you think when Nike takes over the NBA in '17-'18, New Era will do the hats?...similar to the NFL setup?

That's a good question.  I don't think there will be an exclusive deal, because the only "on-court" people who wear hats are the ball-boys and the like.  Players don't wear them during the event (unlike baseball and football).  Thus, I don't think an exclusive deal is as lucrative.  I don't think we'll see an explosion of New Era NBA hats once Nike takes over.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure I understand the bold...New Era makes on-field NFL hats, too.

I don't consider the NFL hats as "on-field." I'm talking about what players wear in competition. They may wear hats on the sideline, but not while they're between the lines. 

3 hours ago, BRice16 said:

I don't consider the NFL hats as "on-field." I'm talking about what players wear in competition. They may wear hats on the sideline, but not while they're between the lines. 

There are a ton of camera shots to the sidelines for exposure.  Whether it be on coaches or players, New Era gets plenty of airtime.  When you think of Andy Reid, what do you picture?

The on-field NFL hats - helmets - no longer have any corporate brand.  Riddell and Schutt no longer puts their names on any of the bumpers.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

That's a good question.  I don't think there will be an exclusive deal, because the only "on-court" people who wear hats are the ball-boys and the like.  Players don't wear them during the event (unlike baseball and football).  Thus, I don't think an exclusive deal is as lucrative.  I don't think we'll see an explosion of New Era NBA hats once Nike takes over.

I'm thinking it's certainly possible New Era gets the draft hats.  Either that or Nike needs to come up with some better stuff.  IMO, most of their college sideline hats are crap.

6 hours ago, johnnysama said:

My thoughts on the New Era logo appearing on the MLB game caps for the first time: I'm disappointed, at least from an aesthetic standpoint, but from a marketing view, I completely understand the reason for the inclusion of the logo. I mean, it isn't the end of the world, really. 

Can't that also be used to justify ads on the field?   Ads on the uniforms?  Naming the teams themselves after corporate sponsors like we were in Japan?

How does "because marketing" possibly become an acceptable explanation?

@Gothamite: What I am trying to say is, New Era just merely wants to have their brand logo more prominent, is all. It really was only a matter of time before their logo made their way onto the on-field MLB caps. I didn't say anything about ads on jerseys, however, which I am opposed to, on the other hand.

In a nutshell, there is a huge difference between having manufacturer logos of the jerseys, caps, etc., and selling advertising space on a jersey.

UBwef0L.png

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Just make the color of the flag the same color of the crown and I'm good.

Well, yes. That would be fine by me, but it defeats the point from New Era's perspective. It's less exposure. Even with HDTV, it's something most fans wouldn't notice in 90% of the close-up shots. NE definitely gave MLB a bunch of extra millions to include that logo on the hats, so they're going to get their money's worth.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

32 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

Well, yes. That would be fine by me, but it defeats the point from New Era's perspective. It's less exposure. Even with HDTV, it's something most fans wouldn't notice in 90% of the close-up shots. NE definitely gave MLB a bunch of extra millions to include that logo on the hats, so they're going to get their money's worth.

Sure MLB may cash in but will New Era? Does anyone know if they publish their sales figures for the authentic caps? If I had to bet on it, I wouldn't predict a sizable increase in New Era's sales. Caps are sold all over the ballparks, and most malls have a Lids. Seems to come down to bragging rights over other cap makers like Nike and '47. I don't forsee many people rushing out to get a new cap because of the flag. 

There's a pretty significant difference between the manufacturer of the cap/jersey/helmet/catcher's gear/etc putting their logo on the equipment that they made and putting the logo of a random company on there for advertising purposes. A New Era logo on a cap made by New Era is not nearly as bad as a StubHub logo on a jersey because StubHub didn't make the jersey. The NE cap logo thing is not good but this is not the same problem as ads on jerseys.

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

There's a pretty significant difference between the manufacturer of the cap/jersey/helmet/catcher's gear/etc putting their logo on the equipment that they made and putting the logo of a random company on there for advertising purposes. A New Era logo on a cap made by New Era is not nearly as bad as a StubHub logo on a jersey because StubHub didn't make the jersey. The NE cap logo thing is not good but this is not the same problem as ads on jerseys.

No, there's really not.  See the NFL for example.  Ripon made the uniforms for decades and simply slapped Rebok's (or other vendors before the exclusive deal started.)

Advertising is advertising regardless of who made the product.  Cole Hahn makes my dress shoes.  Should they have a big Cole Hahn logo on them?  Mont Blanc makes my cologne - should it form their logo on my wrist when I spray it?  Should a flag of china be on pretty much everything?

The fact is that they're paying for the right to put the logo on the hat.  That makes it advertising, regardless of who you want to spin it.  It is absolutely no different than a target logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If they only allow the manufacturer to put their own logo on the equipment there will only be ONE company logo on there, just like now that MLB jerseys have the Majestic logo on them. If you allow random companies that have nothing to do with producing the equipment do buy ad space on on the equipment that's when we'll get stubhub, coca-cola, disney, and mcdonalds all on the same equipment.

I know the concept of selling ad space and paying for the right to put the logo on is the same but if there can be a way for logos to be limited to the manufacturer then that would limit the logo count to one.

In that sense, there's a HUGE difference between a New Era logo on a New Era cap and a Stubhub logo on a jersey.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:24 PM, DIYsportsguy said:

There are no BP jerseys anymore. Just a choice for the players of various fleece and jackets to use during BP.

The previous version of the BP jersey is still in use in MLB, just not by very many of the teams  We covered this in Spring Training:

Game Jerseys: the regular jerseys everyone knows

Spring Training Jersey: the special Flex Base set that premiered this spring, in team colors, that had the FL or AZ patch on the sleeve.

"BP" or Multi-Use Jersey: the Spring Training jersey without the FL or AZ patch.  Some teams wear it for BP, some wear it for game use.

I like the sound of the new BP top.  Lighter than the hoodie, but warmer than the jersey.  Look forward to it (even if they have the odd contrast colors).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Today on Uni-Watch, a couple of readers sent in some info on the postseason caps with the New Era logo.  It's not stitched into the hat.  It's more akin to a patch, like the Chromaflex postseason patches.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

19 minutes ago, Bouj said:

Today on Uni-Watch, a couple of readers sent in some info on the postseason caps with the New Era logo.  It's not stitched into the hat.  It's more akin to a patch, like the Chromaflex postseason patches.

Probably because some players want to keep the same hat they've been wearing so they probably just glue it on 

17 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

Probably because some players want to keep the same hat they've been wearing so they probably just glue it on 

Can anyone answer this age old question that I've never been able to get an answer to... How often do players in the season change caps? How many caps do they go through more or less? Obviously don't need an exact number but I've always wondered, do they get a new cap a week? Do they ride out one cap for longer? Are the caps repeatedly washed? What's the typical routine for this?

24 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Can anyone answer this age old question that I've never been able to get an answer to... How often do players in the season change caps? How many caps do they go through more or less? Obviously don't need an exact number but I've always wondered, do they get a new cap a week? Do they ride out one cap for longer? Are the caps repeatedly washed? What's the typical routine for this?

I think it varies from player to player. Some care, other dont. I think Kershaw last year had the patches sown on to keep his crusty sweaty cap lol

6 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

I think it varies from player to player. Some care, other dont. I think Kershaw last year had the patches sown on to keep his crusty sweaty cap lol

I remember hearing years ago it was about once a month. I'm sure that varies by team and some players who like them more often and other who like to stay pat. 

Edit: Just got a response from a buddy of mine who is an equipment manager for an MLB team and he said it varies from player to player, but it probably averages every 6 weeks. He said he's done it before where he tried giving them new hats once a month and he got some resistance from players having a lucky hat or just got the one they had they way they like it.

SEAsig.png

Archived