MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

But the Mets wear grey on the road and don't wear any white. The wordmark on Cleveland's blue jersey is still outlined in white. Also, wasn't grey an actual third color for Cleveland in the mid-00s. I recall Wahoo being outlined in grey (or maybe it was silver) back then. 

Technically they don't "wear" grey on the road. They have grey pants like NFL facemasks used to all be grey. It is more a traditional standard certainly not making grey a team color...

Regarding the Indians...

Here's basically all that's going on.

The are ditching the cream alt, but they still want to be able to sell 4 different on-field hats, so they are forcing the red cap with the blue alt at home.

I think that sales for navy jerseys went up / will go up, because of them wearing them throughout the World Series, not only this past year, but also back in the 90s.  Those navy alts are clearly their "post-season" jerseys, and they were just in the World Series.  So they want to capitalize on that by wearing them more in front of their fans.  The cream alt doesn't really serve any kind of purpose, and I'm assuming it didn't sell well, partially because it seemed kind of out of place, and partially because it just doesn't look like a jersey that any Indians fan would choose to buy over any of the other ones the team wears.  If it sold well, I don't think they would be getting rid of it.

They surely don't honestly think that the navy alt looks best with the red cap , but they would rather market 4 hats to sell than 3, ... so here we are.

It was a money decision, not a "this combination looks good" or "we're phasing out wahoo" decision.  Or another way to put it, it was a "we want to hold on to multiple identities so that we can market ourselves more than 1 way to boost sales" decision.  The "you can't please everybody" idea doesn't really apply to this situation.  You actually CAN please more people (and sell more gear) by trying to please different groups of people.  That's why teams do it.

Not much more to it than that.

Wow, I've been busy.  Just now seeing the first timestamp on my quotes.  Time to catch up.

On 11/23/2016 at 11:42 AM, the admiral said:

Don't the O'Malleys own the Padres now? Are they going for blue/white austerity because they miss owning the Dodgers and think it's wise to market the Padres as indistinguishable from the Dodgers?

At least we can kind of hold out hope that's not true until red front numbers appear.

On 12/6/2016 at 1:44 PM, Gobbi said:

I'm not in favour of the logo on the front of the jersey but the blow would have been softened a little if it was a logo that isn't as ugly as the Under Armour one.

Under Armor feels like one of the least offensive ones that could be put on.  It's two strokes of uniform color which will be colored to fit the uniform.  The only simpler one would be nike.  It's not Bimbo, or Chevy, or Wonga.com, or... I'm gonna stop listing them, but the Premier League is rough.

On 12/8/2016 at 7:37 PM, Whitesox572 said:

My biggest beef is that you could previously, as a fan, have worn the White Sox cap (primary logo) with the road jersey ("Chicago" script and diamond sock on the sleeve), and you had, like, the PERFECT combination....all three elements of the team identity were represented in matching colors, just a perfect brand.  Now, the SOX on the sleeve is redundant if you're wearing the cap.  It looks especially ridiculous on the field.  Why have a duplicate logo on the cap and sleeve?  

Ask the boys in Anaheim.

On 12/14/2016 at 4:23 PM, CitizenTino said:

A few items to clarify:

- The Indians are only wearing the red hats with the navy jersey at home. It will still be the navy Wahoo hat with the navy jersey on the road.

- According to The Plain Dealer, a new alternate jersey is coming in 2018 to replace the cream alternate, which has been dropped for 2017. (The team already wore the cream uniform much less frequently in 2016 than previous years.)

- The Indians have never paired one of their script 'Indians' jerseys (white home/navy alt) with a Block C hat before, so if you're looking for another incremental step in phasing out Wahoo, that door is now open.

- As for why there is gray trim on the navy alt: It was originally conceived as an alternate to be worn on the road only, and the gray trim matched the gray pants. It started getting use for home games more in recent years, but the gray trim has remained. 

(And this leads to a pet peeve of mine: If gray isn't one of your colors, don't use it as an accent color on your uniforms. The Mets do this, too, and it's equally bad for them.)

Waitaminute.  Now that I think of it, this is a super weird move.  The Indians went with the block C on the road gray seemingly to minimize the amount of Wahoo seen on the road.  Now they're changing the navy alt to have Wahoo on the road and the block C at home?  Crazy.

On 12/14/2016 at 11:50 PM, the admiral said:

Forget it. They'll always be the Cleveland Indians.

The Spiders were, literally, the worst team in baseball.  They had half the wins and were 23.5 games further behind than the friggin' 1962 Mets.  I don't know why people would WANT them to return to the Spiders name.  The name isn't going anywhere, especially since Wahoo gives them enough of a target for most people to focus on that almost no one notices the name.

The Padres screwed it all up...

Manufacturer logos are coming to the chest of uniforms...

The Nats are bringing Stars and Stripes caps into a weekly rotation...

The Indians are doing... whatever the crap THAT is...

But there is a silver lining in the world of baseball...  Loria is rumored to be putting out feelers to sell the Marlins.

EDIT: Oh!  I forgot something I wanted to comment on.  This uniform concept is okay.  The font is a bit too Giantsy for my taste, but I gotta say, something about that SD monogram (biogram?) really appeals to me.  I don't know what it is, but I really like the look of it.  Dunno if it would work, but I really dig it.

Also, on the subject of someone asking about the break in the current cap insignia, it's a design choice that I think is the right thing to do.  The original S and D had overlapping corners and were really simple to make out.  The update made the two letters larger and more intertwined.  This made it look more like a jumbled, tangled mess.  It's a different story when the S and D have different colors.  However, when it's all one color, that break, sort of evoking a drop shadow from the S, breaks things up and keeps the letters more distinguishable.  Otherwise, it kinda just becomes a tangle of lines.  It's a simple change, but it makes a different.  A lot of people complained when they made the D yellow, since the break isn't necessary.  If they go to a two-color insignia, it would be nice to see it closed.

fdjn4hd4asqsmf4vri52ydggg.gif     q9xutbwhi4hgcnwuhqsy7xire.gif     1hft7s2fbsydsegif9co5umxj.gif     abf1elwas7qg4zahubeegteyd.gif     7353742016.gif

spacer.png

spacer.png

53 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

71613999.jpg

Ah, Grady Sizemore. Injuries, like unnecessary silver trim and nameplates, suck.

I know that "Spiders" would never happen anytime soon, but getting rid of Wahoo and filling its vacuum in the identity with one of the "block C with feather" logos or something like that may just engender more action. The name "Indians" is fine, but the more I think about, the more I'm sure that some groups still won't be happy once Wahoo goes away (as their easy target is done-zola). Changing the name, while it would be extremely controversial and alienating for their fans at first, may be what the team needs (especially the doofuses wearing feather headdresses and war paint).

"Spiders" is one option, and "worst team ever" should not be outweighed by "Cy Young played for that team" and "worst team ever was only because of conflict-of-interest ownership." I know they'll be the Cleveland Indians for the foreseeable future, but I can't shake the feeling that dumping Wahoo won't be enough for some people (a "C with feather" logo is all I'd really want for them, with the name intact).

As for when I went "woke twitter," I was a weird kid. Then again, I'm sure we all were in our little ways.

It always used to annoy me that the placket piping didn't match the sleeve and pants piping on that uniform. Plus, they had drop-shadowed NOBs when nothing else in that set was dropshadowed. Making matters worse, they also wore an alternate cap back then with a monogram representing the team name instead of the city name (another one of my pet peeves). Add in the ugly racist logo that was still showcased heavily in that era and the clichéd navy/red color scheme (yeah, I know it's traditional for the Indians - that doesn't make it suck any less) and it's as if they designed that set for the sole purpose of bugging the crap out of me.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It also just dawned on me how inaccurate the scripts on the actual uniforms were compared to how they appeared in every other application.

CLuNjtN.png

Pretty much every letter is different, but it's especially noticeable on the e's, n's and s.

From the looks of things, this was a problem from way back when they first started wearing these scripts, all the way up until 2012, when they finally fixed the inconsistencies.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

8 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Waitaminute.  Now that I think of it, this is a super weird move.  The Indians went with the block C on the road gray seemingly to minimize the amount of Wahoo seen on the road.  Now they're changing the navy alt to have Wahoo on the road and the block C at home?  Crazy.

Their road uniforms aren't changing at all. The only change is that the navy alt is being used at home in place of the old cream jerseys and that when they play at home it will have the red cap.

When they wore the navy on the road they always wore the Wahoo hat anyway. So they are reducing the amount of Wahoo (albeit, barely) by wearing a Block C at home with the Navy.

That Indians' set blew hard. It took a classic set and made it worse in pretty much every way. The addition of silver (which looked white on the jersey numbers from a distance). The shrinking of Wahoo on the caps, the triple-outline Wahoo on the sleeves. The swapping red for navy piping on the homes (which persists today). The forcing silver into the sleeve piping so it didn't match the plackets. Maybe the worst of it was the change to the lighter navy caps. The lighter navy absolutely doesn't look good with red. and the caps suffered big time with that switch. Luckily, they switched back to the dark navy on all caps a year or two ago.

I've said it before, but the '90s Indians set was pretty much perfection. Their current set is every bit the Sabres/76ers/Suns "We made a mistake, so we'll go back to the great look we had. Except we'll change it in several inane ways to make it worse than that set just to say we're different." The Mets are the only recent team I can think of which was smart enough to go full-sail back to a previous great set without "modernizing" it in some stupid way. Teams shouldn't be afraid to go back to something which was great.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived