MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Their road uniforms aren't changing at all. The only change is that the navy alt is being used at home in place of the old cream jerseys and that when they play at home it will have the red cap.

When they wore the navy on the road they always wore the Wahoo hat anyway. So they are reducing the amount of Wahoo (albeit, barely) by wearing a Block C at home with the Navy.

While, yes, there is technically no change in the road uniform, the Wahoo cap usage with the navy jersey went from being done home and on the road to only being a road thing.  It gains the distinction of now being road, and it seems odd that when they had a choice to make a home/road split between Wahoo/block C, they went the opposite of their way of handling the home whites and away grays, which seemed to make sense.  When they went block C on the road, it felt like a purposeful effort towards not wearing Wahoo as much in other teams' houses.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gaslamp Ball ran a post about the 80s Padres prototype jersey that was on display at the All-Star Game and it includes an interview with someone from the marketing department back then. He mentions that there were two big reasons why the Padres got away from brown to begin with: the players didn´t like it and it was too much of a hassle for the people who made the products to make brown products. He seems to imply that this is why teams tend to all wear the same colors.

That was 30 years ago but I wonder how much greater industry influence keeps the Padres in blue.

Link: http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/12/16/13933378/padres-prototype-jersey

22 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Gaslamp Ball ran a post about the 80s Padres prototype jersey that was on display at the All-Star Game and it includes an interview with someone from the marketing department back then. He mentions that there were two big reasons why the Padres got away from brown to begin with: the players didn´t like it and it was too much of a hassle for the people who made the products to make brown products. He seems to imply that this is why teams tend to all wear the same colors.

That was 30 years ago but I wonder how much greater industry influence keeps the Padres in blue.

Link: http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/12/16/13933378/padres-prototype-jersey

Am I the only one who thinks this prototype looks great? Just replace the gold on the front panel of that cap with orange and you have a really cool-looking uniform.

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Am I the only one who thinks this prototype looks great? Just replace the gold on the front panel of that cap with orange and you have a really cool-looking uniform.

There's probably a better picture floating around out there but this was also on display at the ASG:

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

He mentions that there were two big reasons why the Padres got away from brown to begin with: the players didn´t like it and it was too much of a hassle for the people who made the products to make brown products. 

I don't believe this is a problem today.  Hell, Brown seems to be one of the few colors Nike can actually make. 

Wouldn't wanna hassle the corporations who procured contracts for Major League Baseball apparel and merchandise, I mean, don't wanna put anyone out here or anything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, larrypep said:

Gaslamp ball did a mockup on what they say should be the Padres uniforms in 2018, and they look great!

http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/12/16/13986836/how-to-bring-back-the-brown-in-2-years

3ETiCEtl.0.jpeg

OJWS9Gxl.0.jpeg

VKo56d3m.0.jpeg

bAkWXpGm.0.jpeg

Very well done. No brainer, but it seems Padres' management lack brains. 

24 minutes ago, larrypep said:

Gaslamp ball did a mockup on what they say should be the Padres uniforms in 2018, and they look great!

http://www.gaslampball.com/2016/12/16/13986836/how-to-bring-back-the-brown-in-2-years

3ETiCEtl.0.jpeg

OJWS9Gxl.0.jpeg

VKo56d3m.0.jpeg

bAkWXpGm.0.jpeg

Not terrible. But they need to dump the taco bell cap and the off white home unis. Home unis are white, not "haven't done laundry in weeks" white.

3 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Home uni's look white to me?  The first and last pics are road alts right? 

No the first pic is what the creator intended as their primary home uni in homage to the 1969 Padres home uni. The white with chest SD and taco bell cap is the home alt in homage to the '74 uni. The last two are the road and road alt.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Not terrible. But they need to dump the taco bell cap and the off white home unis. Home unis are white, not "haven't done laundry in weeks" white.

The taco bell caps are great alternate caps.  Logically makes sense to have them as alternates too.   

Archived