MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, larrypep said:

The patch in the mockup is really cool too, based on the original patch from the 69 uniform.

JQ0sCAom.png 

To be nitpicky . . . because that's what we do here . . . 

1969-2018 is the 50th Season, not the 50th Anniversary.

Otherwise, that is a great looking patch, particularly in the fauxback/homage context.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I wonder what the Padres would say if someone showed them those pics. Probably something about "studies show that those ideas suck" and "way too interesting for us" and "but how does that honor the military?"

I would really like to sit down and have an honest talk with whomever makes this decision within the organization. Get a real, candid, honest answer as to why they want navy/white vs navy/yellow or navy/orange or brown/yellow or brown/orange. Truly perplexing.  

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

To be nitpicky . . . because that's what we do here . . . 

1969-2018 is the 50th Season, not the 50th Anniversary.

Otherwise, that is a great looking patch, particularly in the fauxback/homage context.

Since it's a conceptual thing it's pretty easy to fix.  

22 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

8-53708c_spring_training_2017_az_001.jpg8-53707c_spring_training_2017_fl_001.jpg

These come from The Emblem Source

If true they're a minor evolution of last year's ST logos. They're definite improvements however. But I'm not sure why they're using the US Highway shield as a base?

I'm going to take a random guess...they use the highway shield because teams don't fly during spring training.(?)  If I have it correct, everything is by bus.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

50 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

If true they're a minor evolution of last year's ST logos. They're definite improvements however. But I'm not sure why they're using the US Highway shield as a base?

I dunno why, but if they're making it their thing I'm fine with it. Least they aren't the Padres, and sticking with one idea. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I'm going to take a random guess...they use the highway shield because teams don't fly during spring training.(?)  If I have it correct, everything is by bus.

I think that's exactly it. The goal being to promote the idea of road tripping to watch games in different parks in either Arizona or Florida. Fans and teams alike traveling by highway to the games.  

The shield is also the shape of US Route signs, not Interstate signs.

fig-2e-11.gif

My thought (guess?) is that the US Route shield is a bit of shorthand for "Road Trip!"*

* -- Interesting(?) side note -- If you do a Google Image Search for "road trip", the vast majority of the images are of old school two lane roads (with lots of deserts) rather than Interstate highways.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The White Sox's 1990 redesign was a genuine trendsetter, producing two clones (or teams that evolved into clones):

nl_2012_colorado.gifnl_2003_florida.gif

Heck, the Rockies and Marlins both got a bit cheeky with their inspirations:

2isbo0k.jpg2004-miguel-cabrera-florida-marlins-alte

The elements of their design also profligated throughout baseball in the 1990's (i.e. re-emphasized pinstripes, block standard font largely replacing Wilson's varsity font, and black/silver accents dominating design):

rBVaEFdlfzCAbZObAABVtFIuYvs585.jpg 891a835295d5e61fa5a560618be2526b.jpg

010399uniformsall_511x500.jpg 

You could argue that there were once many "White Sox clones," but the design cues of that 1990 redesign have faded from popularity. Also, just because I have this damn thing on standby:

fs11lso.jpg

Doesn't that reduce the White Sox-ness of the design?

Archived